Zeebaas

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Sea Crappie, May 18, 2008.

1. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Anyone fished a Zeebaas yet? The extremely light weight has me interested in it for both jigging and popping in the PE5 to PE6 range.

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Zeebaas makes an awesome reel..smooth dependable, submersible, and bulletproof. Surf casters here in the northeast dream of owning this expensive peice of hardware.

Crazy Al, or alberto knie, a renowned fisherman here in the northeast uses them exclusively and has used them from surfcasting for stripers to roosterfishing and jigging down in the keys.

One problem you may have is with the bailess models. It takes a little getting used to. since there is no bail you gotta catch the line with a finger. Its a bit hard at first, but you get the hang of it relatively quickly and it become second nature.

the reels also are custom color ordered so you can get a mix of spool color, body color etc making for some cool combinations. The drags are smooth. you should look into this reel for sure, if you can get past the bailless i think its a better reel than the stellas or saltigas. Once those expensive reels get wet or submerged they need to be cleaned. Zeebaas are completely sealed

3. Sea Crappie

Peter,

Thanks for the info, that was super helpful. Luckily for me, they make them with bails now as an option (as there's no way I'm using a bailess reel for tuna). I like the all custom idea.

I was worried most about the reel not being smooth, and you directly addressed that. Do you know if anyone (Al included) routinely fishes one on heavy fight drag, say around 20lbs? Do the surf guys cast them with spectra? I was a bit worried about the line lay, as the Stellas and Saltigas are designed to handle braid.

I know they're crazy expensive, but for the prices Shimano is asking for the new Stella, Zeebaas doesn't appear that bad, especially if they're better quality.

4. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I noticed they now have a Z-rough series which sells for under $1000 (including the bailed model). Model ZX27RB/G holds 360 yards of 20# mono, weighs only 19.5oz and says to pull 40#'s of drag! It has a 4.75:1 gear ratio.

I know the Stellas are awsome and everything, but I think I'll be saving up this year to buy either a TwinSpin, VanStall or ZeeBaas next year.

Gary

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Peter,

Thanks for the info, that was super helpful. Luckily for me, they make them with bails now as an option (as there's no way I'm using a bailess reel for tuna). I like the all custom idea.

I was worried most about the reel not being smooth, and you directly addressed that. Do you know if anyone (Al included) routinely fishes one on heavy fight drag, say around 20lbs? Do the surf guys cast them with spectra? I was a bit worried about the line lay, as the Stellas and Saltigas are designed to handle braid.

I know they're crazy expensive, but for the prices Shimano is asking for the new Stella, Zeebaas doesn't appear that bad, especially if they're better quality.

I have fished them first hand as my friend is a surfacster and I can tell you the reels are amazing. You can totally submerge that thing, get sand on it and its still as smooth as it was when you first got it. The new ones are even better as you can get 40#'s of drag out of it if you need it

My good friends at Tackle Direct have them and promote them alot. Great looks as well

6. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

I have fished them first hand as my friend is a surfacster and I can tell you the reels are amazing. You can totally submerge that thing, get sand on it and its still as smooth as it was when you first got it. The new ones are even better as you can get 40#'s of drag out of it if you need it

My good friends at Tackle Direct have them and promote them alot. Great looks as well

This is some of the info I have. I was considering going with Stella for school BFT but now I think I'll go with the upgrade to the 2.7. At forty pounds of drag max I can set the drag at 20lbs which will mate nicely with my OTI 50 rod rated up to 7 oz. lure weight and 20lb drag max.

These are the new 2008 Stellas @ over $1,000.00 too.

ZEEBAAS ZX2.7RD - Gear Ratio 4.75 - Drag 18Kg - Weight 531g
    STELLA SW10000PG - Gear Ratio 4.9 - Drag 20Kg - Weight 610g
    STELLA SW10000XG - Gear Ratio 5.8 - Drag 20Kg - Weight 610g
    STELLA SW18000HG - Gear Ratio 5.7 - Drag 25Kg - Weight 850g
    STELLA SW20000PG - Gear Ratio 4.4 - Drag 25Kg - Weight 850g

I freely admit that I could be wrong on the line capacity for the ZB but it is the info I currently have on hand.

Line capacity:
    ZX2.7RD PE 5 – 450m
    10000XG PE 5 – 300m
    10000XG PE 5 – 300m
    18000HG PE 5 – 500m
    20000 PG PE 5 – 600m

And they are meant to be self serviceable.

Reaux

Attached Files:

7. Sea Crappie

Reaux,

You've stated very clearly why I'm giving them a serious look, in particular the 2.7. I was looking at the new Shimano Stella 10k XG, but it costs more, weighs more, has less line capacity, and isn't covered under Shimano USA warranties.

Seems like my mind might be made up.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

keep in mind this is there first real shot at expanding into big game spinning gear while Shimano specifically with the Stella model has been at the top of their game in this department. The Zee Baas reels have definately been the most sought after surf reel for some time. For me the decision was easy ... I never even thought of another brand spinning reel after using my previous Stellas for years. I went for the new 08 model and hope to enjoy it soon

Good Luck either way you go

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

What about the Zeebaas handle? That is one part of the reel that looks like something I couldn't tolerate.

10. Sea Crappie

keep in mind this is there first real shot at expanding into big game spinning gear while Shimano specifically with the Stella model has been at the top of their game in this department. The Zee Baas reels have definately been the most sought after surf reel for some time. For me the decision was easy ... I never even thought of another brand spinning reel after using my previous Stellas for years. I went for the new 08 model and hope to enjoy it soon

Good Luck either way you go

gman,

I have several stellas, and definitely love them. The biggest problem I have with the new ones is warranty related, at least until the US version arrives. The points you bring up though about big game vs. surf are exactly why I'm asking about the ZB here. I've heard before that the surf guys love them, but I will be using this reel for popping and jigging offshore, with 20lbs of drag.

Bellyups,

They have a "power handle" with a large oval handle.

11. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

gman,

I have several stellas, and definitely love them. The biggest problem I have with the new ones is warranty related, at least until the US version arrives. The points you bring up though about big game vs. surf are exactly why I'm asking about the ZB here. I've heard before that the surf guys love them, but I will be using this reel for popping and jigging offshore, with 20lbs of drag.

Bellyups,

The ZB is smooth, but, it'll will never be as smooth as a Stella. It is just the nature of the beast - being water tight requires o-rings and such. You'll notice the difference and I have both reels and can attest to that.

Lifetime warranty on all components and exterior finish, except drag washers, seals and bearings. - ZB warranty.

And then if you should ever, for whatever reason, decide to take it directly into the fishes element you can skish with it.

Reaux

Attached Files:

12. gman

gman Senior Member

gman,

Bellyups,

Agreed and I understand your points perfectly as I struggled 2 years ago buying my first SW Stella ... "what happens if the thing breaks?" luckily I never had to worry because it held up fine and the person i bought my first SW told me he could handle the repairs if necissary

In the end, if you were using the reel in harsh elements, if you were a surf rat I would suggest the Z Bass. I know they work great but honestly if I were making this decision I would opt for the set standard in the industry and go with the SW Stella.

Im sure soon the US models will be updated as the current stocks of domestic Stellas are extremely thin.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nobody has investigated the Zeebaas line of reels more than me. I've spent almost a year doing my DD. That so called oval power knob is no good for me. Maybe others. The frame is not as large as the other ones we use for tuna. I have yet to pull the trigger as I'm concerned about the size of the frame holding up to years of use on tuna. Other than that, I see nothing else wrong with the reel.

Daiwa and Shimano build their big boys on a large frame for a reason. When people start snapping frames on their spinners, it tends to piss them off. I've been hearing rumors about a ZX3 size frame but I think it's in the future. Zeebaas is so busy right now with the surf crowd orders. They are all mad at Van Staal because they are now being 100% made in China. Bob the guy who started Van Staal sold out to Zebco and now is making the Zeebaas line of reels in Conn. I'm going to wait for the dust to settle before I buy one.

14. gman

gman Senior Member

I just figured out your avatar, for at least a week I've couldn't figure it out until i looked at it sideways ... a sailfish sail out of the water. Thank god been driving me nuts

15. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I cant swim so i dont go very deep in the water.. but i cant figure out how the guy in the pic would be that deep in the surf with a fish. Freeing a hangup?

16. gman

gman Senior Member

if you go to the site there is a video of them skishing, basically they put on wetsuits with floatation devices and float out to sea casting for striped bass. They are completely insane ha ha

Here is an exerpt of the reasoning from another site ...

"Because there were fish out of reach from the surf, so all the other surfcacasters gave up, so he figured, what the heck, I'll just swim out there and drift an eel through them. Instand gratification, Instant results. It was nicknamed the Nantucket Sleighride - like a combination of skiing and fishing, hence the name skishing. Which phrase by the way, was later mutated into "squishing."

17. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Wow that is crazy..!!

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I need to post this on a Texas shark surf fishing site! LOL. I can see them now on PINS, floating out to see after shark. The prized catch would be a large Tiger shark. In about 20 years, a bunch of grungy old fishermen will be showing pics of the days they had both legs or lacked the half moon scar and dent in their calf.

19. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I'm bumping up this old thread.

I'm wondering if Zeebaas has gained any followers in the Tuna Spinning community? They're U.S. and Connnecticut made, which I like.

Are they only for the Surf cast guys who go swimming with their reels?

And for the Million Dollar community............how do they stack up against the Stellas?

20. twentythreefive

twentythreefive Senior Member

I fished a zeebaas 27 for a year and a half, i sold it this fall and bought a stella. I bought the reel to fish for stripers and also tuna. I used it a lot wetsuiting for striper and i had to send it back a few times because the seals were not keeping water out. So i was not super happy about the reel for swimming. I did catch 20+ bluefin to 57"'s and a ton of AJ's on the reel and it did hold up well to the abuse. The main thing i did not like was the reel was not comfortable to jigwith, it lacked the cranking power i needed for jigging and fighting big tuna. The handle always felt small and uncomfortable too. I like that they are made in the usa and are fully machined but the stella blows them away for tuna. If you are not going to fish heavy surf conditions i would not buy one.