Z-Grip Saltwater Handle

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by TxGulfTuna, Sep 25, 2009.

1. TxGulfTuna

TxGulfTuna Member

These custom rod handles look kinda unique. Mudhole has some good pictures of them on rods. Looks cool and wierd at same time!:cool:

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

they are very unique.
    i thought they would be a little more comfortable to use than they actually are.
    they are nice, and i only got to use it for a short time.
    maybe if i used it more, i would have really loved it.
    but it is another option for a rod.
    they are not cheap.

3. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

It seems like they'd be counter intuitive for active popping or jigging? Are they intended for just trolling?

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

not for jigging.
    mostly bigger tuna rods, trolling, chunking..ect

5. TxGulfTuna

TxGulfTuna Member

Chunk'n is what came to mind when I saw it. I wonder if it really takes the pressure off the lower back.

6. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

It seems to me it would reduce overextension of the wrist tendons but may actually increase the strain on the lower back. If your forearm/upperarm is 'locked' close to your body (even tho ur wrist strain is reduced) , the entire strain is transmitted to your lower back because your forearm, shoulder, upper back is also locked into position and the only rotating element is coming from/around the lower back and associated muscles.

To do a test, put 40-45# on a curl bar, and curl it, and hold it parallel to the floor. What back/lower back muscles are in tension/contraction? I picked 40-45# because a 20# drag on a 6 ft pole equates to about 45# at 18 inches from the body. That is how I think my body would react, but then I havn't lifted weights in YEARS.