Yumeya Extra Long Handle

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Enoch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Hi all.

Got to install my new Yumeya Extra Long handle for my Stella 20ksw yesterday. I had some help.

Here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

out the box and on the reel...
    I had some help with taking the caps off and extracting the bearings...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached the long arm to the stella and presto!

Comparison with the 10000sw model:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And on a rod:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff28/hollafrenz/IMG_7226.jpg

DONE! :cool:

It is argueably longer. On Shimano's Yumeya site it says in Japanese "to give more comfort in jigging". The length is 85mm or 1cm longer than the stock model.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

oops got my geometry backwards

d-a

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Now your PG is a HG.

d-a
    Doug,
    His PG has more power now than a speed, longer handle arm is lowering the speed.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'm curious, wouldn't a longer arm increase the cm/rev so more line is retrieved per crank?

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Longer arm gives you more power. It's like having a different gear ratio. The retrieve per one cycle of rotation doesn't change the inches per crank. The longer arm is not to your advantage if speed jigging. However, once you hook up, you have more power to wind in your fish.

You need good strong gears if you want to put a long arm on any reel. There is more stress on the gears as you have more cranking power. The Stella SW has very strong gears, so the longer arm shouldn't be a problem.

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I spent the money on this upgrade to really get more out of my stella.
    I know it's already a great reel but wanted to push the limit. I know the beating the reels go through in Japan and around the world for testing purposes.

Even my buddy in japan tells me there are so many other "upgrade" parts for the reel and a stock stella in japan everyone has and nobody is treated differently.

MC works was an option for me, I just wanted to follow the "AMG" or "M class" design and go with Yumeya.

:cool:

7. spiderhitch

spiderhitch Senior Member

nice handle,where did you order it from?

8. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Longer arm gives you more power. It's like having a different gear ratio. The retrieve per one cycle of rotation doesn't change the inches per crank. The longer arm is not to your advantage if speed jigging. However, once you hook up, you have more power to wind in your fish.

You need good strong gears if you want to put a long arm on any reel. There is more stress on the gears as you have more cranking power. The Stella SW has very strong gears, so the longer arm shouldn't be a problem.

So would there be a disadvantage in putting the handle on a "popping reel" (read: higher gear ratio)?

and why would it be a disadvantage for speed jigging? Just because of it's longer length...meaning more work for one rotation?

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

nice handle,where did you order it from?

I believe Shimreels was my guy. I believe he has an ebay store.
    However Plat did a nice job explaining why I needed one through email :)

10. JerseyBrian

^would you mind posting it? I'm curious.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

^would you mind posting it? I'm curious.

posting the email from plat?

12. JerseyBrian

^yes, I'm curious to hear the reasoning behind it. Or you can PM it to me. if you don't mind... if you do...than no worries.

13. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Enoch lets hear it may be we all need one!! Haha

14. BIGSWORDY

BIGSWORDY Senior Member

I actually just smoked my 10k and had it repaired by shimano, i blew out the main gear and pinion shaft on a big fish on the bottom deep! they repaired it instead of replacing it, im sure it was just a flaw in the reel I still love it tho. Its true test will be next week in PV mexico!!!

15. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

I actually just smoked my 10k and had it repaired by shimano, i blew out the main gear and pinion shaft on a big fish on the bottom deep! they repaired it instead of replacing it, im sure it was just a flaw in the reel I still love it tho. Its true test will be next week in PV mexico!!!

BIGS, is that the JDM or US?