Young County Big 10 Down!

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Earl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I have a little 100 acre lease in Young County, low fence. So with that said, I wasn't going to let this one get away from me. This is my best whitetail buck yet. He has an inside spead of 17.5 inches with 4" bases. I didn't have a scale but he dressed out pretty nice. Had a thick neck.

This was definitely a weekend from God as in addition to this big 10 I saw a forkhorn (twice), spike, big 8 (twice), doe and yearling,and bobcat (couldn't get my scope on it quick enough). Didn't see any hogs to put the hurt on though.

I took the 10 a little after 5:30pm on Saturday. I actually thought I was shooting the 8 I had seen earlier and was surprised when I ground checked him and saw it was the 10 I had on my cameras. The setting sun was putting a glare into my scope when I shot. He was shot at about 80 yards had gone to my corn feeder, heart/lung shot he ran maybe 30 yards before falling dead.

What do you think the age and score is on this 10? I'm thinking he is 3.5 to 4 and as for score I don't know - maybe mid 120s? His brows are not real long but his G2's and G3's have good length. Right side G4 isn't real long - but his beams seem to be nice to me. Like I said for 100 acres I am not complaining.

The time on my cameras is off by an hour. Dang Moultries displays are out so I can't reset them. I apologize for the quality of the photo of him down but I was huning by myself so no one to take the picture but me.

Thanks,
    Earl

Attached Files:

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Congrats Earl.. Thats a great buck!!!! looks at least 4.5yr old to me

3. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Congrats Earl.. Thats a great buck!!!! looks at least 4.5yr old to me

Thanks Bret,

This is the deer I thought I was shooting at through the glare :) I saw him both Saturday and Sunday morning and had noted on my camera that he had been in the feeder pen where I shot the 10 pointer the night before...I'm hoping for Kyle to be able to take him next weekend.

I've got another big (and old) deer a wide 8pt that I had on my cameras last year. I called him hook because his brows hooked away in opposite directions. He's on my cameras again, big and wide again. He's lost one of his brows due to fighting (perhaps with my 10 as his bases were scuffed up some). Would be nice if Kyle could get a shot at him but so far I have not seen him or pictures of him during daylight hours.

The deer were moving like crazy at my place this weekend. Were they moving much at yours?

One thing is for sure, last year appears to have been an aberation. I was considering letting my place go after this year as last year my deer stayed nocturnal, other than the spike I shot and the fork horn Kyle shot we didn't see anything else (though I did stop hunting the 1st week of December due to my injury with that Red Stag and my biceps tendon). Last year there was just too much rain, acorns, cover, etc. I still didn't see much activity on my cameras until just the last few weeks - was thinking the place was almost dead (except for the blasted hogs of course). It's nothing but. I won't be letting it go anytime soon. :)

Earl

Attached Files:

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

good stuff still waiting to get my first buck!!