YFT question

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Phantom Fisherman, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Does anyone know why some YFT have short sickles and some have long sickles? Is this an Allison vs YFT thing or just an idividual tuna thing. Just a wondering. Nothing better to do.

Phantom Fisherman

2. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

funny, I was just reading Eddie's post & wondering the same thing!
    It sems in comparing gulf yft's to Pacific yft's, a 100# fish from the gulf has sickles 2' long or longer, while most 250+lb. yft's I've seen from the Pacific
    have sickles barely 12" long?
    I was wondering about the Allison's thing, but I really don't know the physical, range, foodsource, temp differences between them.
    Hey Pope! can you help us out on this one?
    -Brian

3. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I believe this is a diferent fish. But I am not a scientist. Our tuna don't get as big. What do the ones miles catches look like.

4. lite-liner

I've looked @ a few of his pics, & it seems they're the shorter-fin models, too.
    Matter of fact, I haven't seen any YFT that grow bigger sickles than in the gulf, other than the pics I've seen from the Mediterranean.
    -B

5. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Here is my Theory:

Gulf Yellowfin Tuna more than likely do not have the abundance of food here as they do elsewhere.

So what me may be seeing are fish that are older, which could be a reason why their sickle fins are longer, but their body size is not quite the size as what is seen in the Pacific Oceans.

Thats just my un-educated theory.

I know that lots of fisherman say that the ONLY reason Tuna are not closer to shore in Texas is not because of water depth, but because of abundance of food.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the sickles in the gulf are bigger than ive seen elsewhere....pacific or northeast. i would be curious to see whether bigeye have longer sickles here than up north.

7. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Shanker's theory sounds plausible since you'll actually see YFT of the same size in the GOM and some will have longer sickles. Since YFT are one of those species that have indeterminate growth rates they can get as big as food supply permits. 2 fish of the same size may be of different ages.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

the sickles in the gulf are bigger than ive seen elsewhere....pacific or northeast. i would be curious to see whether bigeye have longer sickles here than up north.
    Only large Big Eye's (80bs+) I have seen in person had sickles comparable to that of a bluefin.
    This isan interesting topic. It could be a lot of different variables...

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

did you mean comparable to a yellowfin? yellowfin and bluefin sickles are much different.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I had always heard that the longer the sickle, the older the tuna. This might be a wise tale, but it make sense.

Yellowfin, Bigeye and albacore, for instance, have been estimated to live nine or more years, while bluefin are thought to reach an age of over 30 years.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

well bluefin get over 1000 lbs....i'd presume thats an old fish!

again....you won't see 3-foot bluefin sickles that swoop down off their body like you do for a yellowfin. that just isn't how they are.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Maybe sickle length is like a mans ding dong or a woman's breast. Some are big, some aren't'.:D

13. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I have seen bigeyes in the 200 pound class caught in the gulf and they all had small fins.

14. lite-liner

Yellowfin are unique w/ their sickles. much like true albies have super-long pectorals.
    the real question is why the difference in sickle length in YFT in the Gulf?
    actually, they all seem the same everywhere else EXCEPT here & the Med.
    maybe water temp. ck out the 70#er in my avatar- virtually nothing, but a 100#er that I caught
    in port A in '06 had sickles 18" long.

15. How do you tell the difference in a YFT and an Allison's tuna? I remember from some post on 2cool the Bigeye tuna has some liver differences with YFT but it is hard to tell them apart on the outside.

Phantom Fisherman

16. miles

miles Senior Member

Hiya

This is also a hotly debated topic in South Africa. We primarily get Yellowfin. Occationally BIG-EYE is also taken. may of the older anglers claim that if the sickles are small on a large tuna, that it is a Big-eye.

I've caught YF's with long sickles as well as VERY short sickles, on the same day, from the same school of fish. They both look identical, except for the length of the sickles.

I'm also completely stumped as to why certain fish have much longer sickles than others, for the same size of fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now compare the above photo's of 150-210lb'ers to the sickles on this 150-160lb'er:

[​IMG]

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Hiya

I've caught YF's with long sickles as well as VERY short sickles, on the same day, from the same school of fish. They both look identical, except for the length of the sickles.

I'm also completely stumped as to why certain fish have much longer sickles than others, for the same size of fish. ]

More proof that my statement on post #12 is true!!!!!!:)

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

miles I'm still stunned by the size and quantity of the tuna you catch.

19. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

did you mean comparable to a yellowfin? yellowfin and bluefin sickles are much different.
    Ya I meant comparable to YFT. It seems that most true bigeye taken have short sickles.

Like Capt Eddie said. 200 class Bigeye with short sickles.

In another case in point. The "cow" tuna my dad landed in PV was taped at about 270# it has shorter sickles than a 97# I landed in the gulf.
    I don't have enough first hand information to make what I would call and educated guess... But I would say that to me it seems to be a difference in Gulf and other places.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]