360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a rod for my Stella 20k. From what I hear you can’t have both all in one rod? I will be mainly throwing poppers and halcos for YFT with this set up. Occasionally do some jigging for black fin. What would you recommend? Brand, length, weight, etc. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,164 Posts
Welcome to 360tuna!

Smith GTK-77, or a Race Point 150/200.

You might find that 20k a bit big for this application, as well.

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,080 Posts
I guess the question to ask is where you will be fishing for yft? East coast (generally smaller), GOM (TX or out of Venice), or west coast (long range or shorter range trips)? This will determine the size of yft you will be getting into and thus a better rod recommendation for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess the question to ask is where you will be fishing for yft? East coast (generally smaller), GOM (TX or out of Venice), or west coast (long range or shorter range trips)? This will determine the size of yft you will be getting into and thus a better rod recommendation for you.
I have a custom built OTI snipper by JPR 8'6 if your interested. Pulled 60lb tuna up with it no problem. You need a strong setup fishing on party boat. Need to horse them in so they won't tangle up with other fisherman.

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,080 Posts
I have a custom built OTI snipper by JPR 8'6 if your interested. Pulled 60lb tuna up with it no problem. You need a strong setup fishing on party boat. Need to horse them in so they won't tangle up with other fisherman.
Maybe I should get rid of my Carpenter, MC Works, Thrasher, Phenix, Souls, Patriot Design, Yamaga or Jigging World ghost hunter rods to go with your OTI? 🤷🏼‍♂️:unsure:

😂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe I should get rid of my Carpenter, MC Works, Thrasher, Phenix, Souls, Patriot Design, Yamaga or Jigging World ghost hunter rods to go with your OTI? 🤷🏼‍♂️:unsure:

😂
Wrong person was trying to reply to person that posted this. But yeah most of those brands are better, but cost a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
6,164 Posts
I have boated yft's to 100+ on the rods I recommended.
poppers, stickbaits. Didnt have to horse them.
they will both fish lures 3oz to 8oz
the Smith works really well with the souls bomber 60g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts