YFT Chunking hook size

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TS18997, Sep 4, 2009.

1. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

What is the preferred size and style hook for chunking YFT in GOM? Are 11/0 Tuna Blade point hooks an ok style and size or too large?

2. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

7/0 circle : underneath the skin then buried the hook
    back in the bottom of the chunk

3. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I like the 8/0 Gamakatsu Heavy Duty Live bait hook.

4. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

75% of foks are using 6/0 or 7/0 Mustad 39952BL Demon Circle Hooks. Cheap and strong.

5. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

What are the other 25% using? Usually the minority are on to something:eek: . I do like a bargain though!

dale

75% of foks are using 6/0 or 7/0 Mustad 39952BL Demon Circle Hooks. Cheap and strong.

6. JOHNJFFRS

JOHNJFFRS Junior member

A 4/0 or 5/0 Owner Mutu or Super Mutu will take any Tuna in the Gulf. I tend to like a smaller hook for chunk fishing and I've never had a prob with them. They also work well when you put a live Flying fish on.

7. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I use 5/0 Super Mutu's for both chunking and live fliers. Not sure what the advantage if any but I like the offset circle hook.

8. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

lately i've been using eagle claw l2004 in 7/0 cause I loaded up on them cheap at a sale. I've used mustad 39950's in 7/0 in the past but i like the eagle claws better.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

A 4/0 or 5/0 Owner Mutu or Super Mutu will take any Tuna in the Gulf. I tend to like a smaller hook for chunk fishing and I've never had a prob with them. They also work well when you put a live Flying fish on.

I use these hooks and sizes too. I have never had one fail.

10. Pope

Pope Senior Member

The main thing is you want a small hook that is strong. A small hook will not effect the drift (drop back) of the chunk in the chunk line. If the chunk is drifting or falling through the current at a different rate, it is less likely to get picked up.

11. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

12. JOHNJFFRS

JOHNJFFRS Junior member

Think about this,hook size matter's more than brand when your chunking. If you put a heavy hook in a chunk it's not going to drop at the same rate as the chuncks that don't have a hook in them. It doesnt matter what brand of hook that you use as long as you can get it to drop at the same rate as the unweighted chuncks.

Drop 4 or 5 chuncks in the water and watch them drift off. You want your chunck to drift with them. The same principal works with a lot different fish. Ling,Big Red Snapper,Mangrove Snapper are all suckers for a chunck.

13. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

A few of the ol' salt fisherman will put a small piece of styrofoam in their chunk to counter the weight of the hook.

14. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

you guys forgot that that chunk is attached to a line

guess what ? that line creates resistance and the whole thing will
    not sink as fast as the rest of the chunks

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I free spool my chunks and am super anal about the drop back. I hold my rig and feed the line through the guides. In my case, if anything the line makes it fall faster, rather than slower. I see guys keep the clinker on and put the rod in the gunnel when chunking. It works, but this would keep the chunk higher in the column due to some drag from the line.

16. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Appreciate the info guys, I will pass on the 11/0's.

17. jig

jig Senior Member

IIRC, the 39952 are offset hooks. The 39950 are not offset. I don't care for the offset hooks for chunking, as I think more hooks pull free. I use from 5/0 to 7/0 size, in either the 2004 eagle claw or 39950 mustad. But I start with 7/0 in a chunk size about 2x3", and only move down if I start using smaller chunks and lighter leader.

18. Southern Hunter

Southern Hunter Member

Frenzy 5/0-7/0 in blue camo....I find the coating on the Demons to be crap, seems like they always rust out. No problems with the Frenzy's whatsoever