Yellowfin tuna jigging in Phillipines

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

A fisherman from Philippines called me today and he gave me lots of fishing info in Philippines.
    I have been trying to get some yft info in Philippines as there are lots of yellowfin tuna caught around General Santos areas, southern part of Phillipines.
    Yellowfin tuna jigging is pretty new there, but the potential is enormous based on the pictues I saw and the reports I got.
    Anyone wants to join me for exploratory yft jigging trip to Philippines ? :)

They say the average catches are 4 - 5 yellowfin in 40kg - 90 kg (89 lbs - 200 lbs) per person per day. :eek: It looks they troll with live skipjack.

[​IMG]

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Kil, what time frame?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, what time frame?
    They say the best time is from Oct to Dec.

4. AJL

AJL Junior member

There is excellent yft and bigeye in phillipines! The Santos area and surrounding waters produce most of the yft consumed worldwide. There are parts of the indian ocean and pacific where cows are caught routinely 'just past the reefs'...

Most of the commercial tuna there goes to the cannerys in the region and the higher grade fish is sold worldwide. There are more longliners in these waters than anywhere in the world and the effects of the overfishing are absolutely apparent in the yellowfin as well as other bycatch species.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

We know tuna fishing is great there, but the problem is there is no charter boat targeting tuna there. You got to fish on commercial boats or private boats. The key is to find a boat.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Any idea of a cost estimate?

7. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

The Phillipine Trench north west of islands is the one of the deepest areas in the world and supposedly holds big tuna. I forget what magazine I have that has this article, I'll try to find it and get back to the post.

8. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

I might like to join you, keep me posted.

9. spyder130

spyder130 Member

mr kilsong pinoy-anglers.com • Index page this is a link to the best fishing forum in the philippines (if you havent found it yet) you will have to sign up to browse the forum

there are a bunch of guys that fish all over the philippines and i am sure they would be more than happy to help you with any questions that you may have regarding tuna fishing in General Santos

I lived in the philippines for 10 years but was only really introduced to fishing a few months before i moved back to New York but those guys on the forum were extremely helpful

i hope to stop by your shop soon!

Glenn

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

mr kilsong pinoy-anglers.com • Index page this is a link to the best fishing forum in the philippines (if you havent found it yet) you will have to sign up to browse the forum

there are a bunch of guys that fish all over the philippines and i am sure they would be more than happy to help you with any questions that you may have regarding tuna fishing in General Santos

I lived in the philippines for 10 years but was only really introduced to fishing a few months before i moved back to New York but those guys on the forum were extremely helpful

i hope to stop by your shop soon!

Glenn
    Glenn, didn't see my post on the forum ? :)

11. spyder130

spyder130 Member

aha!!!!! LOL nevermind!!!!! i found your post on the forum hahahahaha!!!!!

12. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Kil ,

I have been doing my studies in P.I. , as you know me and Reggie grew up there , I am trying to find time as soon as I finish my projects here in Panama to arrange a fishing expedition in the P.I. , everybody knows about the GS area but there is an area where majority of the bait fish ( Bonitos, skipjacks, spanish mackerel , sardines ) are caught , this area actually produce most of the fish for the northern region (60 Million fish eating Filipino ), as we know , to find big fish we have to find the small fish , I have P.I. in mind as my next project for a lodge , I just have to fish there a good bit to get on the perfect spot , I am sure I will post report as I fish this area , be good if you can join in one of this trip

13. spyder130

spyder130 Member

hi john! glad you signed up on the pinoy forum! hope to get to visit your lodge in panama!!!

14. panamasportfishinglodge

Hi Glenn ,
    Ya! I was excited to join the Pinoy forum , I saw some GTs being caught there also , awesome , let me know when you want to come down and we'll fish , thanks John

15. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I didnt know you were a pinay john

16. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

You mean Pinoy:)

17. panamasportfishinglodge

Pedro ,

I hope it is a " typo '' , remember who is going to be waiting for you at the airport MR. PINOY , LOL

18. kukula

kukula Junior member

Guys cant help but did a search looking for any Pinoy members in the forum and found this thread. Anyway fishing in the Philippines is great. For one, the Philippines is an archipelago composed of over 7,200 islands. That means water everywhere. Although Gen. Santos city in the Southern Philippines is known for its giant tuna, you can actually fish for tuna througout the archipelago. It just so happen that Gen. Santos is the center of the tuna industry. YFT, BFT, Big eyes, we have it all. In fact, the BFT population of the Pacific breeds in the Southern seas of the Philippines. Another very popular fishing ground is in Sta. Ana, Cagayan, in Northern Philippines. Here we catch sailfish, GT, dolphin (the fish not the mammal) and other large species. If you guys want to do some fishing over there, let me know. I can hook you up with Mr. Paul Tie, a good buddy of mine. He is the owner of China Merchandising, an authorized Daiwa and Shimano dealer. He owns the first and oldest tackle store back home. His father is also one of the founder of the Philippine Game Fishing Federation (PGFF). Oh and I used to do a lot of fishing in the Philippines, and we never heard of popping and jigging (at least until ten years or so ago).

Chris :)

19. conchydong

conchydong Senior Member

My wife is from the Philippines and I have been over quite a bit and I also believe the Philippines has alot of potential but it is difficult to find a decent boat to really fish comfortably. I tried fishing from Bankas and they are not really practical for sportfishing. Also some foreigners aren't comfortable going to the southern Philippines where the tuna fishing is supposedly the best due to political instability and uprisings by various groups but there are other places with good potential such as Zambales and Cagayan as mentioned earlier. I thought that a fishing resort would be a great draw for westerners to the Philippines as the people and food are great and almost everybody knows English. The only problem is the political corruption (which is slowly changing for the better). You may have to grease some palms to start a business but I think it would be well worth it.

20. al-n-vb757

al-n-vb757 Senior Member

The only problem is the political corruption (which is slowly changing for the better). You may have to grease some palms to start a business but I think it would be well worth it.

yeah... that will be the only drawback. I am planing a return trip back to the mother land after a 39+ year absence in the next few years. I have not been back since I was 1 y.o. We have my wife's parent's ashes that we would like to return.. I was warned about pirates that love to take US citizens for hostage.... Guess I'll find out. I kinda wish I spoke fluent tagalog.