Yellowfin, mahi and wahoo in Japan!

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by philr21, Feb 4, 2016.

1. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Thought I posted it before but don't see it anymore. Last summer I was fortunate enough to land a beautiful wahoo and a 63lb yellowfin from my kayak, first weekend of having a new kayak (upgrade from 2003 Hobie Outback to a 2015). Anyway, if you hadn't seen the video, enjoy. Need to watch full screen in HD in order to make the tuna boils out, GoPro on wide doesn't do well for items far away.

tugasangler, flyguy, IVW and 4 others like this.
  2. Cabanaboy

Cabanaboy Senior Member Fish Killer

That's a great video The rod/ gaft management seems tough sometimes on a kayak. Nice catch.

philr21 likes this.

3. fishbones

fishbones Senior Member

Cool vid phil congrats

philr21 likes this.
  4. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Thanks!

5. AmberJack

AmberJack Active Member

excellent video, seems like a total work out . Paddling , reeling , gaffin ....I assume , good physical condition is a must.
    Thank you

tugasangler likes this.
  6. Tagdog

Tagdog Member

Very nice! There just are no Tuna within paddling distance here in Texas. One day though.

7. duntonsdragons

duntonsdragons Member

Awesome. Where was this? Is your PDF comfortable with the vantage seats? I've heard the high back pfd's are super uncomfortable with the new seats. Any truth to that? In picking up a TI in May and could use some insight. Thanks!

8. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

This is in Sagami bay, Japan. Mahi are plentiful in summer but wahoo are extremely rare, tuna almost never within kayak range. Lucky catches.

PFD is fine for me with the Vantage seat, I don't notice it most days. I'll probably switch to an inflatable during the summer though as I was fairly toasty last year in the regular. I don't mind the extra warmth and wind protection in winter though.

9. IVW

IVW Member

Excellent video and congrats for the great selection of fish! That YFT is very close to shore. Do you know what was the water depth?