yellowfin jigging set up.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by surfkid, Oct 2, 2009.

1. surfkid

surfkid Guest

hey guys. im looking into getting a jigging set up.
    for a rod...
    trevala 6'6" 270-325g
    trevala F 6'3" 110-240j
    and for a reel...
    avet lx 6.0:1
    avet mx 5.8:1

size of expected fish ...tuna < 70

these are the two that i could put together to fit my price range. any help would bee great!

2. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

for the money you would pay i would go to JPR rods and have him make you one. less than $300 and a much better rod for the money - and better suited for Tuna

he's PAUL708 on here

3. WahooMaster08

WahooMaster08 Senior Member

I agree with DoubleA, Paul makes some amazing rods I just got a rod that he built for me and you can just see the great quality in the craftsmanship. Look up Paul and he will take care of you, trust me you wont be sorry.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It depends on sizes of tuna you target.
    If you stick to Trevala rods, go with TVC58XXH. The rod is about 250g rod.
    If tuna you target is under 50 lbs, the rod is perfect.
    If your targeted fish is 50 - 100 lbs, go with OTI G3 400g rod.
    Both have excellent warranty and it is very important for starters.
    Once you get to know about jigging, you can upgrade for high-end rods or custom rods.

I recommend Saltist 40 with upgraded carbontex washers and side bearings than Avet reels.

5. surfkid

surfkid Guest

It depends on sizes of tuna you target.
    If you stick to Trevala rods, go with TVC58XXH. The rod is about 250g rod.
    If tuna you target is under 50 lbs, the rod is perfect.
    If your targeted fish is 50 - 100 lbs, go with OTI G3 400g rod.
    Both have excellent warranty and it is very important for starters.
    Once you get to know about jigging, you can upgrade for high-end rods or custom rods.

I recommend Saltist 40 with upgraded carbontex washers and side bearings than Avet reels.

thank you for the insight. and that was my plan. to go with something inespensive and work my way up from there. iv jigged small game(blues,stripers,ect) for a while. but never anything as large as tuna so im bassically going to give it some trial and error

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the guys have been using the travellas on smaller fish. they work ok, but lack some power of other rods.

the OTI 400g are a GREAT rod.
    and would be a good choice for the size tuna you are after.

like a few of the guys said.
    i do have customs from 225-275.
    we would match the rod for what you want to do.
    i also have a couple NEW saltist 50 left.
    would be about 375 for the combo.

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

For fish like Blues and stripers the mx would be ok. But I would not put it
    against any tuna except Blackfin style fish.
    For the LX 6.0 I have landed yellowfin just below and just above the 100lb
    range. It will hold a fair amount of 65lb braid. But with the high gear ratio
    I did not feel I had the cranking torque needed. I won't fish it against 50lb plus fish again.
    I got lots of Avets and like them but I don't suggest high ratio Avet for the fish I mentioned.

K2

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

thank you for the insight. and that was my plan. to go with something inespensive and work my way up from there. iv jigged small game(blues,stripers,ect) for a while. but never anything as large as tuna so im bassically going to give it some trial and error
    I suggest to check Van Staal jigging rods. I was impressed how the Van Staal jigging rod handled big bluefin.
    Some experinced fishermen have been enjoying to catch 30 - 50 lbs bluefin with Shimano Trevala rods off NJ this year.
    There are tons of jigging rods coming from China now and I can not recommend them unless I test them myself. So I recommend proven rods from reputable companies with good warranty policy.

9. surfkid

surfkid Guest

thanks ksong.

while i was looking at those van staals i stumbled accurates line of jiggin rods, they make quality reels but hows the rod?

10. jig

jig Senior Member

I don't even bother jigging with lighter gear anymore. The weight difference is not significant anymore to jig with higher test gear. I got tired of loosing the larger fish you always hook. If targeting fish under 70# and you gear up accordingly, what are you going to do when the 100# plus fish shows up?

So now I don't use anything smaller than 60# class. Get the size reel according to whether you will use braid or mono. If braid, then you can get a remarkably small reel now and load it with 400yds 60-80# braid. If mono, you can still go pretty small if you back with spectra and put a 150yd topshot. IMO you want a reel that can fish 25-30# drag. Both those Avets will not have enough drag IMO.

11. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Seriously give Paul708 a call on this. You are in the same boat I was in about 10 months ago, only I bought the trevalas only to be dissapointed, hey they look cool but they are way underated. I wound up using my xxh trevala f for Stripers in the spring, good striper rod by the way. Here in NJ stick with the OTI G3 400g and start off with a 30-40 size saltist w/ upgraded drag (not hard to do for an extra 10 bucks). Paul (JPR rods) can hook you up with just about anything you need production or custom. Paul is real down to earth, won't pressure you into anything at all. Plus he's a damn good rod builder, defenitly worth at least a phone call.

12. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

Seriously give Paul708 a call on this. You are in the same boat I was in about 10 months ago, only I bought the trevalas only to be dissapointed, hey they look cool but they are way underated. I wound up using my xxh trevala f for Stripers in the spring, good striper rod by the way. Here in NJ stick with the OTI G3 400g and start off with a 30-40 size saltist w/ upgraded drag (not hard to do for an extra 10 bucks). Paul (JPR rods) can hook you up with just about anything you need production or custom. Paul is real down to earth, won't pressure you into anything at all. Plus he's a damn good rod builder, defenitly worth at least a phone call.

yup :)

even if you want the OTIs or other factory rods he can handle that too - when silky says theres no pressure he means it - i gave Paul a budget and he put me in a rod that cost a little more than half of what i was expecting to pay. he could have easily said, ok, send me the money but he didnt, he put me in the rod i needed, not the one i thought i wanted.

by the way, i have heard nothing but good things about the OTI jigging rods!

13. surfkid

surfkid Guest

thanks for all the replys guys ;) your really helping me out here. but if i wanted a custom rod id do it myself. but right now im just pressed for time between work, school, and sports.

if anyone needs help on a surf set up, ill be glad to talkk though :)