Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge Lite 2020 reservations

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by cudaman, Jul 22, 2019.

1. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I think tugas and his buddy (Chris?) limited out on muttons and caught several nice grouper and tuna too. Several other fishermen had similar results. Hopefully Herb will get us the full report soon.

tugasangler likes this.
  2. Yankee Capts

Yankee Capts Well-Known Member

Filled the back and one box up front. Most had limits plus plenty of tuna.

Great conditions with a easy drift. If you did not have full coolers then you were not fishing.

Great group, see you next year.

Greg

3. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

Has anyone talked to or heard from cudaman lately? I messaged him more than a month ago and he hasn't replied back. I just hope he's ok and not sick or anything like that

4. Gorge

Gorge Junior member

Nothing on his web site

5. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

I'm trying to determine what gear I need for Pulley Ridge Lite. I saw Capt Greg's recommendations on his web page but do not have that exact gear. I have a Trinidad 16A that I think I can use for Slow pitching. I also have an Avet MXL Raptor. Can I use that for bottom fishing? Too big? Too small?
    If I want to troll, what reel in Avet family should I consider? What is a must have? TIA

6. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

when making a recipe ... I follow the ingredients. If I don’t have that ingredient, I go buy it. If I can’t buy it I wait til I can afford it to buy it. Why do I do this ? Because that’s whats on the recipe . If I don’t get the ingredients on the recipe how can I expect it to turn out well ? And who can blame but myself .

The Trinidad can work but it’s wide as far as slow jigging reels go . I didn’t see you mention a rod for it . The mxl is a bit on the smaller side of bottom fishing reels there. I for one would not recommend bringing any avet reels besides a 80w to troll with . the must haves are fresh bait . And ability .

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    jon holsenbeck likes this.
  7. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

80w to troll wahoo on a party boat hahahahahaha

8. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

he said avet . And they don’t stop a lot. I’ve seen 80s plenty of times. I use penn visx

tbh if you don’t have a reel for trolling it doesn’t make sense to buy one these days . With the sea anchor there isn’t much trolling . I’ve had a brand new rig ready to troll for 2 trips now and haven’t even gotten it wet. Hopefully in December I’ll get a shot for my birthday . Otherwise she will sit in the rod holder for another trip and it will bother me none . Just saying that I know people see FSF videos and think it’s and all out troll and they isn’t the case . Not actually worth it in my opinion to even do it anymore . Like I said I only bring it because I have it .

9. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

Slow pitch rod is Black Hole Cape Cod special B-662HMF, rated for 350g jigs. I used this along with the Trini 16 for slow pitching in Panama. Granted we were fishing depths less than 150ft., but I don't know if that makes a difference.

I also have a Spartan NicoBar Special LS 538 (400g. PE6-8) jigging rod. It's not a slow pitch rod and it is short at 5'3". Maybe too short for the trip? I might sell it to fund another outfit, as I've never used it.

The rod paired with the MXL Raptor is a United Composites RCE 700H-C (30-50#, 1-5oz.). I'm not sure this can handle those 10-12oz sinkers? So I'm looking at a Rainshadow for bottom fishing that can handle the 8-15oz. weights... Recommendations welcomed. If I go bigger on the reel for bottom fishing, do you suggest JX or LX. (BTW Are you are aware that the Raptor series of reels are bigger than standard models?)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  10. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

Thanks and agreed. But some ingredients are available from different companies. Same ingredient, different label. Why go buy McCormick salt when you already have Morton salt? I'm sure Shimano, Daiwa, Avet, Accurate, Penn, etc., all have their comparable models.
    Here is where I'm not sure how my existing gear compares to the recommended gear.

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  11. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

If you’re not going to do many trips . Than making the gear you have work, makes the most sense . If youre willing to invest in tackle that would better suit you on the Yankee then get a 8ft bottom rod. And low gear star drag bottom reel that’s mid to upper level . In 2005 I used avet lx low gear models . I haven’t used an avet in over 15 years now. Just not my taste of reel . I have post talking about other reels and rods for the bottom fishing aspect . You have the jigging side covered . The mx if bigger than the mx of old will work .
    That’s pretty much the deal .

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    RevPDP and jon holsenbeck like this.
  12. Hendy5411

Hendy5411 New Member

Any spots still open on these trips?

13. r00kieAngler

r00kieAngler Junior member

2021 reservations isnt up yet

tugasangler likes this.