Yankee Capts bottom fishing update

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tugasangler, Jul 4, 2020.

1. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I've used them too. They work for a little while. I've been thinking about getting one. I'll talk to my doctor in October and get his recommendation on what I should get. Thanks for the advice.

tugasangler likes this.
  2. jon holsenbeck

Thanks my friend. I've decided that I like jigging much more than fishing bait, btw. Maybe I'll just jig for the whole trip one of these days. It will be sweet if I start catching some muttons and legal grouper. I'm going to see what I can do about getting on the Dec. 3 trip on the Yankee Capts. I probably won't know until October or even November but I guess that's better than nothing.

Joe Columbo and tugasangler like this.

3. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

If you do go in December 3 you’ll be going out as I’m coming in . That’s it man just take your time and get out there as you can . If you have to maximize your time because of physical limitations then think a plan and make it work . Fish the morning and evenings hard . Sleep at night . Don’t go on an iron man .

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    jon holsenbeck likes this.
  4. jon holsenbeck

I actually want to go on a halfway ledge iron man trip one of these days!!! If I don't go on a trip in December or January I might save up for it if they have one next year. I've thought about the drifting and dreaming trip too but it isn't a three day trip. I think that the longer you're on the water the better chance you have to catch what you're hoping to catch.

tugasangler likes this.
  5. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Visualize your tuna taking drag, where is the lure,
    touching his check or mouth. Cuda didn't hit your lure then.

Visualize again, you are reeling your tuna in,
    jig if perfectly hooked, is an inch or two in front of its mouth,
    or probably in its mouth and sticking out a little.
    Cuda came racing across the front (perpendicular) within inches of another predators mouth to attack a tiny "bait fish" (jig). That doesn't happen very often either,
    and certainly not multiple times in one night.
    So that wasn't the situation either for your lost fish.

Fuzzy Wuzzy and tugasangler like this.
  6. jon holsenbeck

I would say it was, either that or the cuda, king, wahoo or whatever hit the leader. There was a clean cut on the leader each time, no bad knot or abrasion on the leader.
    Have you done any slow pitch jigging? The lure almost always hangs outside the fish's mouth with the top hooks in the fish's mouth or jaw and the bottom hooks are normally embedded in the side of the fish or hanging loose. The jigs are also 5-9 inches long so they are visible to other fish and if the bottom hooks aren't embedded in the fish they are dangling from the side of the fish. The jigs I used also glowed so they were even more visible to other fish. These cutoffs didn't result in me bringing in a portion of a fish, which often happens when a cuda, king, shark, etc. hits your fish.
    The cuda or whatever may have cut me off by hitting the head of the tuna and it happened several times. I think they were hitting my jig, though. I also caught a cuda or two by themselves.
    This was not an instance where I hooked a cuda or whatever and thought it was a tuna. I know how cuda, kings wahoo, sharks and tuna fight and I'm pretty sure I was hooked up on tuna when these cutoffs occurred. I was hooking tuna on almost every drop at night and I was fishing less than half of each night. I also got a few immediate cutoffs from cuda or other toothy fish. Besides immediate cutoffs and the one time I got cut off by the bottom of the boat every cutoff was while I was fighting a tuna (or a fish that fought just like a tuna). Again catching a cuda and a tuna on one jig at the same time tends to help prove what I've written. I think I probably could've caught blackfins all night long if I wanted to but I got tired of catching them and just got tired in general. As I mentioned before, I even hooked a tuna on a small bucktail while trying to catch schoolie dolphin.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    tugasangler likes this.
  7. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Ok, you got it all figured out,
    yet with all your "knowledge" you couldn't land a YFT.
    Maybe, you don't have it quite as figured out as you think
    or imagine.

You related to Garriga by any chance? :)

Fuzzy Wuzzy likes this.
  8. jon holsenbeck

I really don't think you read my post very well. We were catching blackfin tuna. not yellowfins and I caught more than I really wanted to, more than 10 of them. I landed more than I lost, btw. and I know from your first post you've never been slow pitch jigging and I know you don't know anything about it either. Stick to talking about commercial fishing for stripers and stuff like that instead of something you don't know anything about. That way you won't make an azz out of yourself like you have so many times before on 360tuna. I just read your post because it was on this thread, otherwise I've got you on ignore so I don't have to read your normal BS. I don't know Garriga, am not related to him and have never met him either, but I have read some of his posts. Oh yeah, one more thing. I just finished a small portion of some smoked fish dip I made from a one of the tuna I caught. It's pretty good too and there's a few more pounds of tuna to be cooked.

9. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

10. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Bye, Felicia......

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  11. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

If you actually had me on ignore,
    then you would have had no idea I posted on this thread,
    as nothing of my post would should up, if I'm on ignore.
    So, to start off, you got busted on that one.
    Hey, Garriga used to make up the same lie as you :)

Like I said earlier,
    you got it all figured out.
    I haven't caught my first fish yet,
    let alone one on SPJ tackle.

Enjoy your smoked BFT,
    smoked YFT does taste better.
    :)

12. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Lets welcome our new member of the HungryJack Fishing Club

Jon Holsenbeck please stand...(cue applause)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  13. jon holsenbeck

You will come up as "ignored member" and I can choose to read that post if I want to. When I get the ignored member notice I know it's you because you're the only one I have on ignore on 360tuna or any other site I post on, for that matter. Yellowfins probably taste better than blackfins, I've eaten them before, but both are good to me. And I'm not garriga, get that through your thick head. Now, as lite-liner posted before, Bye Felicia!!! I might check this thread out in a day or two, however, to see if you can come up with a better post than your last lame- azz one. You do know you're being baited like a fish now, right?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  14. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

jon blue.gif

Better?

Fuzzy Wuzzy, bigtexas and tugasangler like this.
  15. TabsUp

TabsUp Well-Known Member

Accurate reels are the worst.

HungryJack likes this.
  16. jon holsenbeck

What's the best?

17. TabsUp

TabsUp Well-Known Member

Gomexus reels are far superior.

HungryJack and tugasangler like this.
  18. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

With or without long arm?

jon holsenbeck and HungryJack like this.
  19. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Big fan of Gomexus tackle !!!!

Be Best.

20. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

NONE of my Accurates have EVER failed or broke in ANY WAY, EVER, in 20 years so I guess I'll just keep using my American-made junk before I will send my dollars directly to china.
    Gomexus looks a lot like a JM (I mean, Maxel right?) with a different drag lever. Nothing says quality engineering more than that beautiful "made in china" sticker.....:rolleyes:

Joe Columbo and jon holsenbeck like this.