Yankee Capts bottom fishing update

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tugasangler, Jul 4, 2020.

1. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I’ve put together a more detailed updated list of tackle recommendations, that’s a bit more current on what’s being used successfully on trips. This list is specifically targeted towards bottom fishing with bait. As popular as slow jigging is on the boat, time and time again bait saves people’s trips. I’m confident that everything on this lists works and can hold up against the rigors of a trip and then some. I’m not going to make a list categorizing trips because what’s mentioned will work on any trip up to 500ft. Where current allows .

RODS- Calstar grafighter (900m 900h 900l)(800l 800m 800h) *crowder LB series rods use these Calstar blanks .

- Phenix black diamond/hybrid (929h 867xh 909h) (809xh 809h)

- united composites gusa (Rus80wahoo rus80tilefish rus80tilefishjr)

REELS- Will be broken down into single and 2-speed. In single speed if the reel of your choosing comes in two gear options . Opt for the lower of the two for bottom fishing.

Shimano (trinidad torium 16-30sz torsa 16-30sz)
    Daiwa (Saltiga 30-50 Saltist 30-50sz)
    Accurate ( Tern 400-500z Valiant 400-500)
    Penn (torque 25-40n sz)

2-SPEEDS
    Shimano ( Talica 12-20 Speedmaster2 12-20 Torsa 16-30)

Daiwa ( saltiga 30-50 saltist 30-50)

accurate ( valiant 400-500)

Penn (torque 25-40n)

HOOKS- I wouldn’t vary tooo far off of this hook list .

Owner tournament inline mutu, mustard demon circle hook , Vmc tournament inline circle hook . Sizes 7/0-10/0 and I’d bring 20 of each

Bring minimum 50 swivels !!!! At least 150lb strength

LEAD - 10oz(10)12oz(8)16oz(6)20oz(4)24oz(2) the heavier ones will really come into play in the deep water if there is current . Which there always seems to be these days.

Any good 50lb braid will Do as well as 50lb leader.

*Make sure all your tackle is in tip top shape have used reels serviced before your trip departure to ensure they’re in pristine working condition. Recommend spooling new line. Make sure there are no nicks in the guides of your rods.

Maybe this will help someone and maybe this will only help the tackle companies. In any case here’s some what of a contribution to the site on my behalf . Do with it what you will.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Gotta ask, Why so many?

3. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

the number seems high. But each rig takes 2 to make. And you may have gone through 30rigs by the end of a trip. Sometimes more . So better to have and not need or need to ask others . Than not have .

4. esgeo

esgeo Active Member

Thanks for sharing.

I’m curious why 8-9’ rods are the norm? In SoCal these are great lengths because casting a bait farther from the boat is easier with a longer rod (especially when the bait is small). But when it comes to fighting a fish, a 7.5’ rod is probably easier to deal with than a 9’ rod. Secondly, just from a logistics standpoint, I’ve found flying with rods over 7.5’ is somewhat of a pain (exceeds maximum length on Southwest at least, but sometimes you can get away with it).

Anyhow, if you could share the thoughts on long rods, I’m definitely interested to understand the perspective.

Thanks!

5. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

For starters . Bottom fisherman cast their baits out too. So a longer rod serves the same purpose for us that it does for the San Diego guys. Secondly Florida drift boats sit very high off of the water line. The added length allows to handle the fish much easier during the fight in the even the fish goes under the boat . The added length keeps your line from rubbing And subsequently fraying on the boat . I have brought most of my 8ft and under rods to and from San Diego many times.

Now I won’t answer every why. But I will say it will work and work well. I’d rather catch more fish than you and that be anyones future answer to why. That’s just the way I’m wired .

Tarpun, HungryJack and jon holsenbeck like this.
  6. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

At my age if I’m losing that many rigs I’m hitting the bunk.

7. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I’ll believe it when is see it

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    jon holsenbeck, ReelMe and Snaphappy like this.
  8. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Wow, not a single maxel on the list? My Ocean max and transformers did just fine cranking up fish on the YC.

And you don't need an 8' rod as I hear everyone keep saying. I've done just fine with shorter jigging rods. I've never broke off on the bottom of the boat and have fished the whole trip with nothing longer than 5'-8". But then again, I've been told on that boat no one can fight a fish for any length of time with more than 22-25 lbs of drag either. The key is knowing to how to handle a fish once it gets close to the surface so it doesn't wrap around everyone else's line.

jon holsenbeck and esgeo like this.
  9. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

don’t get your panties in a bunch. You can use what you like . Clearly stated .

jon holsenbeck and esgeo like this.
  10. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Hard for your panties to get in a bunch when you go commando. :p:D

11. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

For bottom fishing, you’ll feel bites better with a longer rod, you’ll be able to better maintain contact with your lead with a longer rod. Bottom fishing with bait a 5’8” rod is less than ideal. Can it be done? Yes it can. Will you enjoy more success bottom fishing with an 8’ rod...yes I think so. I know I would!