Yankee Capt/Halfway Ledge?

Discussion in 'JiggingWorld.com' started by Tarpun, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Tarpun

Tarpun Junior member

I'm a jigging rookie going on a Halfway Ledge trip on the YC in the near future. What weight SP jigs will I use the most? I've made trips on the boat and know conditions can vary. Just trying to make sure I've got what I need. Thanks

2. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

250 gram...sometimes down to 180 and up to 400 but 220 to 280 90 percent of the time.

3. Tarpun

Tarpun Junior member

Thanks for the info. Pretty solid on the 200 to 250gr. stuff. I'll have to pick up more of the heavier jigs.

jon holsenbeck and Snaphappy like this.
  4. Tarpun

Tarpun Junior member

Filled out my SPJ needs for my upcoming YC Halfway Ledge Trip. I called Johnny Jigs in Pompano Beach and Chris and Will hooked me up with what I needed. They have a good bit of jigging experience fishing on the Yankee Capts. so they knew what I needed as I didn't know what I didn't know. Great guys to deal with, good service and reasonable prices. Now I just need to watch, listen and spend time on the rail. Hopefully we won't have tropical storm issues.

tugasangler likes this.
  5. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Hope for jigable current .

Tarpun likes this.
  6. TabsUp

TabsUp Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what did they tell you that you needed?

explorer and tugasangler like this.
  7. Joe Columbo

Joe Columbo Junior member

You will be very happy on the Yankee. It is by far my favorite boat to jig on. The staff is great, the cook whips up some delicious meals, and Captain Greg goes out of his way to put you on fish. He can be a bit cutting at times but he is trying to help.

tugasangler, Snaphappy and Tarpun like this.
  8. Tarpun

Tarpun Junior member

1st wish is no tropical depression and then hopefully no screaming full moon tide. Last YC trip, a Mutton Marathon, had a ripping tide everywhere we went. Had to work hard for your fish. Tugas, thanks for tips.

Snaphappy likes this.
  9. Tarpun

Tarpun Junior member

Some Flattys , Super Sonic, SP Ridged, and Ultra Flutter in 180 to 350 gram. Enough to ensure that I'll start off with a bit of confidence in my jig if nothing else.

10. RevPDP

RevPDP Well-Known Member

I too am looking forward to a Pulley Ridge Lite trip on the YC in the future. I'm concerned that they're recommending long rods (8ft.) to prevent break-offs when fish swim under the boat. I've never seen slow-pitch or jigging rods of that length. Will I be at a disadvantage using the typical 5'6" to 6'8" jigging rods? I do have bottom rods and popping rods in that length but am wondering if I should leave the short rods home?

11. TabsUp

TabsUp Well-Known Member

You don't need an 8' rod to fish yankee capts.

bnz likes this.
  12. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

And it’s the motion of the ocean not the size of the boat too

13. TabsUp

TabsUp Well-Known Member

If you're implying that you need to have an 8' rod to not lose fish on that boat, I would thoroughly disagree.

14. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

longer jigging and bottom rods, the motion of the ocean and bigger the boat the better
    ask jon holsenbeck

:)

tugasangler likes this.
  15. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

I've fished the YC a few times using nothing but rods 5'-6" and under. Never had a problem with the bottom of the boat. My coolers were always filled.

The thing to realize though is how to control your fish once it gets to the surface so you don't tangle other lines. I was able to control mine but those guys with the 8' rods had no clue and their fish were swimming all over the place tangling everyone else up.

TabsUp and redgarvey like this.
  16. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Hahahahhhaha what an ass

tugasangler likes this.
  17. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Temple reef has Bennys signature series 8’ rod. I usually use a 7’ slow pitch rod (levitate) for jig fishing and it’s awesome. For bait fishing you’ll find 8’ rods work better. For reasons mentioned above, you’ll maintain bottom easier and feel the bites better.

tugasangler likes this.
  18. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Couple from yesterday

Attached Files:

Kim, Illy, jshorty and 1 other person like this.
  19. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

I thought hin and his 5ft rods were banned anyways .

20. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

back early ?