360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was fishing bluefin in NJ today, I got a call that Yamaga Blanks rods arrrived.
I worked until 4:00 am to work with my shop's site and went fishing directly from my shop without any sleep, I was totally tired after fishing.
But I drove to my shop after fishing as I couldn't wait to see those rods until next day. :)

Total 5 models of Yamaga arrived.

Atlas GT76/8
Atlas GT76/6
Tuna 82
Bluesniper 75/4
Bluesniper 80/5

My first impression is the simplicity and light weight.
There is no fancy wrapping or design, and no rods above weigh over 14 oz.

Here are my visual review of the rods ( I would say my impression rather than review :) ).

Atlas GT76/8

Lure max: 180g
Line max: PE8
Length: 7'6"
Rod weight: 12 3/4 oz

Very strong rod. I believe this rod is as strong as Hots Gipang Tide Lez GT77XXXH which has line rating of PE8 -12.
Can be excellent choice of bluefin in 150 lbs - 200 lbs in Cape Cod.

Atlas GT76/6

Lure max: 160g
Line max: PE6
Length: 7'6"
Rod weight: 12 0z

This rod is much stronger than suggested PE6 rating.
I would rate as PE7 - PE8 rod.
I feel it definitely can handle big tuna or GT.

Tuna 82

Supposed Line rating: PE6 - PE10
Drag Max: 15 kg/45 degree
Length: 8'2"
Rod weight: 14 oz

THis is prototype rod for testing.
I don't know why they rate this rod upto PE10. The rod tip is pretty soft for PE10.
This rod can be a good choice to cast farther with light lures in Cape Cod or in Gulf of Mexico.
I wish I had this rod before bluefin season ended in Cape Cod to test intensively for big bluefin. I plan to test this rod for yellowfin in Gulf of Mexico soon.

BlueSniper75/4

Lure max 80g
Line max: PE4
Length: 7'
Rod weight: 9 1/4 oz

I don't think they selll this new rod yet and they sent it to me to be reviewed.
You rarely see 9 oz rod for 7'5" long rod.
Can be excellent choice for inshore popping along with BlueSniper 80/5.

BlueSniper 80/5

Lure max 100g
Line max: PE5
Length: 8'
Rod weight: 12 oz

As you see there is big difference in rod weight between BlueSniper 75/4 and
80/5, 80/5 is totally different rod from 75/4. 80/5 is much stronger rod. I would rate the rod as PE6 instead of PE5.

This new rod is not for sale and it is not listed on Yamaga's websie yet.
Should be an excellent choice for inshore poppng as well as small GT and tuna.

The real test and review of the rods will be on the water.

·
2,753 Posts
Kil
No room for the 79reversal equivilant?
Great to have you as the only north American dealer in my backyard :)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does yamaga make the blanks for ripple fisher?
Ripple Fisher and Yamaga Blanks have the same owner.
They started business 20 years ago by making rods for commercial fishermen. The Ripple Fisher rods came out first abou 10 years ago and it becames very popular in Japan. Yamaga Blanks is a new brand.

While Ripple Fisher rods are expensive for high-end like Carpenter rods, Yamaga Blanks are a little cheaper. When asked difference between Ripple Fisher and Yamaga, they said the blanks qualities between two brands are pretty same, but Yamaga geared to general applications while Ripple Fisher products are for more specific.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kil,

Are these the super strong blanks that can dead lift like 300lbs?
No they are traditional blanks. I'll get prototype rods of new carbon materials from Koea in a week.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what components come on the rods?
Nothing special.
The Atlas rod comes with black finish with silver/black bindings and fuji SIC mnsg guides.

·
178 Posts
Kil,
About a year and a half ago, I asked Ripple Fisher to customize(lighter tip to throw smaller baits) their Fanta Stick GT 82 LC. It is one of the finest all around GT sticks I have used. Now they have:

Tuna 82

I don't know why they rate this rod upto PE10. The rod tip is pretty soft for PE10.
This rod can be a good choice to cast farther with light lures in Cape Cod or in Gulf of Mexico.

The funny thing is I told the Singapore distributor that I wanted to use it for tuna popping in Panama?! I really hope that stick works out, have to purchase it for my next GT trip!
By the way, the 76/8 GT rod has been throughly tested by Nomad Sportfishing in Oz with very high marks. Do you know if they will be selling their blanks? Thanks for the update!

Ed

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kil,
About a year and a half ago, I asked Ripple Fisher to customize(lighter tip to throw smaller baits) their Fanta Stick GT 82 LC. It is one of the finest all around GT sticks I have used. Now they have:

Tuna 82

The funny thing is I told the Singapore distributor that I wanted to use it for tuna popping in Panama?! I really hope that stick works out, have to purchase it for my next GT trip!
By the way, the 76/8 GT rod has been throughly tested by Nomad Sportfishing in Oz with very high marks. Do you know if they will be selling their blanks? Thanks for the update!

Ed

Hi Ed,
You should come to Cape Cod for bluefin instead of Panama to use the rod. :)
I am going to test the rod in Panama during Christmas Holisdays.
I am pretty good at visualizing the action of the rod by bending the rod with my hands. The rod will be great on the water.
I pladed an order of the rods even they are not in productions yet as I like them already without any test.

See the comparison of Yamama Tuna82 and Calstar 700XH.
Calstar 700H/700XH are not bad, but you don't want to use them again once you use light, thin and as powerful rods/blanks. :) I don't think I use my custom 700XH again.

G

·
Nothing special.
The Atlas rod comes with black finish with silver/black bindings and fuji SIC mnsg guides.

nice and simple looking :). it looks like the rod does not have a gimbal, correct?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trav,
Come anytime. But it is better to wait one more week if you like to see Korean prototype jigging and popping rods.

Here are pictures of JM 5'8" 500g custom rods with blue color accent built by Ralph (rodwinder ) for my customers.

·
44 Posts
nice custom rods from these blanks but does anyone know where you can get ripple fisher rods except from nomad shop in australia

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice custom rods from these blanks but does anyone know where you can get ripple fisher rods except from nomad shop in australia
I carry them in the US. There is a Ripple Fisher dealer in Singapore as well as dealers in Japan.

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
I carry them in the US. There is a Ripple Fisher dealer in Singapore as well as dealers in Japan.
CM Tackle Co is now the US Agent for Yamaga and Ripple Fisher. We have a $50,000 inventory of rods to start ;)

www.tacklenow.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts