360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a video of a chap using one of these jigs slow jigging just lift and drop style.
Anyone use one and were they successful seems a lazy way of fishing.
Might get a couple for a forthcoming trip to the Cook Island after Dog tooth Tuna.

·
2,259 Posts
Came across a video of a chap using one of these jigs slow jigging just lift and drop style.
Might get a couple for a forthcoming trip to the Cook Island after Dog tooth Tuna.
You want it as fast as you can go for doggies. Then go faster! Lol Goodluck on ur trip.

·
6,070 Posts
not a huge fish but great fight! 3 minutes is pretty cool.
I was quite surprised at the strength of that rod, especially
how it shut off before flexing thru the seat.
Impressive.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came across Hearty rise rods because I was looking a travel jigging/popper rod that would fit into my rolling duffel. As I live in the UK I have to travel to far off places to indulge in my passion. International airlines are putting more and more restriction on what you can check in the max length is now 62".
I had a Black Hole Cape Cod special 8.6" 2 piece brake down length 74" I was told that as it was in a Rod tube with my fly rod it exceed the length I was allowed to check in and it would have to go from London to the Cook Islands as cargo at a cost of £200.
I surfed the net trying to find a rod that would fit into my duffel most 3 piece rods are to long by about an inch which means a four piece Hearty Rise rods were the only rod company I could find that made a four piece jigging rod so I took the plunge and bought their Monster Game 100=200 gm multipiece .

·
4,943 Posts
I've had guys slow pitch them on many different types of jigs.
I catch them using diamond jigs and yo yo fish the jig at the
depth we are marking them.

Cooks have a travel restriction in place now,
so for the next couple of months no visits.
Will probably last more than a few months,
doubt it will open again to residents of countries with infections
anytime in 2020.
This is going to be a factor in many of the tropical fishing locations.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you are wrong there because they will need the dollars we hope to still go in September

·
4,943 Posts
I hope you are wrong there because they will need the dollars we hope to still go in September
While its true they need the tourism dollars,
they also can't afford an outbreak as they have no ability to deal with it.

So while we are prepared to trade lives for dollars in the US,
many of these tropical islands will probably not.

I highly doubt the situation will resolve itself by September,
would suggest having a plan B.

I'm personally anticipating not being able to fish my
tropical locations from Dec 2020 - April 2021

·
35 Posts
I realize this is a bit of an older thread, but I have some input. I have a bunch of the Williamson jigs that I got on a good deal. Have used them quite a bit off Texas for snapper. Mostly the 7 oz, but also the 5 oz. and 2.6 oz (in shallow water). The snapper gobble them up. Lots of fun. At times they have been more effective than dead bait. However, the cord on the hooks hooks is not too durable and the hooks are a bit light for big fish close to structure. The skirts and especially the “squid” tentacles are not very durable. See picture of the jigs that are in the “eventually get around to fixing bag”. Note the hook on the red and white (7 oz). is straightened. (Would guess snapper in the 15 lb range based on what we were catching).

Would like to try to rig with some titanium wire when I fix them up.

The hooks are grabby little bastards. I’m bleeding in 4 places just trying to set up the photo.

Cheers

Attachments

·
315 Posts
I realize this is a bit of an older thread, but I have some input. I have a bunch of the Williamson jigs that I got on a good deal...

The hooks are grabby little bastards. I'm bleeding in 4 places just trying to set up the photo.

Cheers
Update your Tetanus inoculation :)

Williamson Yabai (Shimano Lucanus knockoff) is pictured above and Williamson Raku very productive for the bottom dwellers

Tip hooks with a piece of fluke belly or pork rind for extra action
Replacement skirts are bass skirts found at Tackle Warehouse or just slide on a squid skirt hoochie

Mike Jung of 'Peace Token Tackle' in Cape May, NJ is Lucanus sensai
he don't touch nasty bait whole trip
his version called the 'Fluke Salt Bug Jig'

https://peacetoken.com/peace-token-lures-fluke-salt-bug-jig-double-hook/

Reactions: jshorty

·
35 Posts
I do have a bunch of Williamson replacement skirts (and various bass spinner bait skirts) to redress them. The bass skirts should be more durable, especially the versions that are a single molded version rather than individual strands and a band.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts