Xzoga Takadum Taka-Ji 5518

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by redneck_billcollector, Sep 21, 2008.

1. redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector Senior Member

Does anyone know anything about these rods? They look good, but I have yet to talk to anyone who has used one.

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

ebay? I've seen those for sale too....but never bit the bullet.

3. redneck_billcollector

I have seen where some folks in Australia use them, you are the first guy I have heard from in the states that uses them, how do they compare to some of the more expensive rods?

4. redneck_billcollector

Thanks for the link ksong, are you personally familiar with these rods? Are you going to carry them in your store?

5. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I just to deal with xzoga , thats why I know their products . I myself owned several jigging rods and at this moment I still have one in used the Taka SA /500.
    My opinion is they are great rods at a very resonable price , good guarantee , service & great quality products.
    Personaly I would say :
    Having the OTI 600g & the Xzoga Taka both are my favourites , if you need anything from them I can guide you the right way , also have some catalogues

Mad-Marlin I just bought some blanks from down under didnt see Xzoga?? Can you point me in the right direction..Like to check them out...

Thanks.:)

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks for the link ksong, are you personally familiar with these rods? Are you going to carry them in your store?
    There are so many jigging rods/blanks fooded in the the market and I can not test them all. :) I have no intention to carry them as I am just happy what I have as of now. I checked Air Wave jigging rods of Tsunami when I visited Flosom tackle wholesaler last week. They look great for the money, but I can not carry them as I didn't test them while fishing and it takes time to see some problems of new rods.

7. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Sure you can go to www.xzoga.com & if you need a blank or rod catalogue send me your adress would be happy to help you

Thank you:)

8. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Sure you can go to www.xzoga.com & if you need a blank or rod catalogue send me your adress would be happy to help you

How do I go about getting a Xzoga product catalogue?

For my higher end gear for this year and to compliment my OTI Rods; I am interested in the:

Xzoga Taka-Ji 5715 400g (PE-5 line)
    Xzoga Taka-Ji 5616 500g (PE-6 line)

They look great and the field testing videos on Youtube are very informative and not just the typical rock music soundtrack.

My plan is to use this rod in Wilmington NC this year for AJs and Tuna.

Also leaning towards using the John Baker JB-4 reel for the Xzoga. I figure since the JB4 is 30 oz then a super light yet strong rod (10 oz) will balance it out. The runner up reel of choice would be the Accurate BX2-600.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above Xzoga match up?

peace!
    Ty

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The few that I have seen have been very similar to JM in looks and feel.

Where are you Jason?

d-a

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

The few that I have seen have been very similar to JM in looks and feel.

Where are you Jason?

d-a

Thats very encouraging since the JM rods are very light and strong. I was able to pull on the JM 500g, and its a beast of a rod.

Ty

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you guys are looking for cheap, but pretty good jigging blanks, contact Mike of Riley rods.
    Riley's jigging rods imported from China could be smilar to xzoga rods which are also imported from China. I checked a few blanks in tackle shop in Virginia Beach yesterday and they looks like JM blanks appearancewise.
    I haven't checked xzoga blanks, but who knows they might come from same factory.
    But I was not impressed with Rainshadow blanks.

BLANKS

12. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

XZoga are very nice and capable rods IMO. Blanks are very small diameter and very powerful.

5518 is 600g and 20kg max drag rated but has a tiny #7 tip. (600g is maybe a little optimistic. More like 400-500g IMO.) Pretty sweet setup with OJ4000P, 80lb OTI braid, and anywhere from 250-500g jigs IMO.

Haven't tried one, but I'd imagine 5616 would be a good baby step down. Should still be very capable. Others may know more than me about that one and the 5715 though...

Just my $.02... Keep in mind how parabolic they are and how light the tips are. I wouldn't personally go lighter than 5516 dropping heavy lead to those big reef donkeys in NC! And I don't think you'd mind having the 5518. Even though it does kind of overlap the 600g OTI ratings, they are very different feeling rods. (both in their own good ways!:))

Later!
    Jason

13. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

XZoga are very nice and capable rods IMO. Blanks are very small diameter and very powerful.

5518 is 600g and 20kg max drag rated but has a tiny #7 tip. (600g is maybe a little optimistic. More like 400-500g IMO.) Pretty sweet setup with OJ4000P, 80lb OTI braid, and anywhere from 250-500g jigs IMO.

Haven't tried one, but I'd imagine 5616 would be a good baby step down. Should still be very capable. Others may know more than me about that one and the 5715 though...

Just my $.02... Keep in mind how parabolic they are and how light the tips are. I wouldn't personally go lighter than 5516 dropping heavy lead to those big reef donkeys in NC! And I don't think you'd mind having the 5518. Even though it does kind of overlap the 600g OTI ratings, they are very different feeling rods. (both in their own good ways!:))

Later!
    Jason

Jason,

Thanks for that insight it was very helpful. Gives me a better comparison with the OTI 600g rod I already have. With that in mind then as far as the Xzoga rods go I will now consider the Taka-Ji 5518 (600g'ish) rod.

Kil,

Your feedback is always welcomed and highly respected. As far as the Riley Rods go, I just noticed some postings about them this week and they are now also on my list of potential rods. I do like the unique artistic design, but I hope in this case form follows function. I don't want to over bling-bling my gear.

Besides if I am to complete my convertion to become a true tackle-ho then I will just have to purchase one of everything :)

mad marlin,

PM on its way.

peace!
    Ty

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty Welcome to the tackle-ho Club :)))

I hope the initiation ceremony (a.k.a. hazing) is a fun one! hahaha :eek:

peace!
    Ty

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have to agree with Kil on the blanks from Riley rods , they look very good @ a very cheap price , regarding xzoga IMHO are fantastic rods & I never had any complaints about them when I just to carry them a while ago, as a matter of fact I still have my 5'8 Taka Sa 500 that has performed very well. I have seen a couple of JM and they look very simillar to the Xzoga but I could not tell which one could be better.

I bet there will be a huge difference bewteen JM Power Spell blanks and Xzoga blanks. While Xzoga or similar rods are mass produced, All Power Spell blanks are individually inspected and tested by machine before selling. When i checked the Riley's blanks the wall thickness are not same and the bent of rods are not same as JM Power Spell though it looks similar to JM blanks appearancewise.
    All my JM Power Spell blanks were tested twice by machine before sending to me.

After I become an exclusive dealer of JM, I found many JM items like blanks, fighting belts and jigs were copied and sold cheap.

Unlike disposable items like jigs, I see there are markets for high quality rods/blanks and reels. I am going to select items for my shop with performace and quality in mind.

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I bet there will be a huge difference bewteen JM Power Spell blanks and Xzoga blanks. While Xzoga or similar rods are mass produced, All Power Spell blanks are individually inspected and tested by machine before selling. When i checked the Riley's blanks the wall thickness are not same and the bent of rods are not same as JM Power Spell though it looks similar to JM blanks appearancewise.
    All my JM Power Spell blanks were tested twice by machine before sending to me.

After I become an exclusive dealer of JM, I found many JM items like blanks, fighting belts and jigs were copied and sold cheap.

Unlike disposable items like jigs, I see there are markets for high quality rods/blanks and reels. I am going to select items for my shop with performace and quality in mind.

Point well taken. And I benefit from your extensive experience in this sport.

As an engineer (and now 10 years later back as a pre-med student); one of the things that really got my attention with the Xzoga rod is the use of wire wrapping the surface of the rod perpendicular to the rod axis. Its like using rebar in concrete, whereas the material is great in compression but bad in tension. So rebar is used to improve its tensile strength.

I plan on enjoying this sport for many many years to come.. so plenty of time to own and try new tech as well as well established brands. One of the things I enjoy about this sport is the valuable suggestions and guidence I get from the more experienced anglers, it saves some undue frustrations in gear selection.

Ty

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil Song Im not debating whether JM or Xzoga are better or worse rods/blank , so I dont know if there is a huge difference.
    My excuses if I steped on your toes I just expressed my opinion on two different products that looked to me very similar. I guess my next purchase is going to be a JM:D

No, you didn't step on my toes. :) I just felt it is not fair to compare original and copies at the same level.
    You expresssed your opinon and I expressed my opinion. That is it. :)
    You'll never see me to push any products to sell as I belives good products sell themselves though I usually explain merit of products which I like.
    All I have to do is find good quality products. :)

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Fair enough , however I was never comparing original to copies. My stament was as follows:
    "I have seen a couple of JM and they look very similar to the Xzoga but I could not tell which one could be better".
    I mentioned look like not compare & I am not pushing any product to sale Kil , but I also think its not fare to describe As copies. JMO:D
    OK, you didn't say it and I just assumed as I was told. :)
    I know you recommend the rod as a satisfied customer and I recommend Riley's blanks I saw them in person and it looks good for the money. I have no intention to push to sell Riley's rods either. :)
    Matt introduced many cheap, but good quality jigging rods made in China to the US and several companies sell them with different brands. I checked some of them and all are good for the money. But I don't regard them as the same level of high-end rods like Smith, Carpenter or JM.
    You got to fight big fish with the rods to appreciate them. I am fortunate to test 300g, 400g and 500g JM rods and there will be very few rods to get the same performace like them. I am associated with JM as I am a dealer, but I don't promote them unless I am satisfied with the performance of the rods.
    I test other JM products and I don't carry them if I am not satisfied with the results. guys ask me expensive Japanese jigs for tuna and I insist to buy cheap 7.5 oz hammered diamond jigs though I have very little margin by selling them. But I got to recommend what I like. :)

Zxoga or Riley's rod should be great jigging rods for the money, but they can not be as good as JM rods/blanks in my subjective opinion. If they do, I am way over charging you. :)

19. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

From all the comments I read and product videos on those two rods I am sure both will serve my needs very well. Both the JM and Xzoga rods will make a fine addition to my tackle-ho collection :)

Ty