360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Bionic braid on a number of my reels for many years. I just got bored and started playing with it and the bloody thing is hollow....you beauty!

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah mate, I have been rigging up the popping rods with loop to loop using JB and twisted leaders

I just spliced a loop on the end of this 30 or 50lb bionic I have on my 4500 baitrunner. took a while longer then 100lb JB but it wasnt too hard. If I had a finer wire it would have been a bit quicker

going to try 20lb bionic next

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to get the wire about half an inch up the 20lb and gave up. Need a lot thinner wire but its possible!

·
1,095 Posts
going to try 20lb bionic next
That sounds like small stuff to get a wire down the hole. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck!

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just tried an 8 carrier 80lb braid from japan and couldn't get the wire up it. The Bionic is definitely hollow and opens up without too much difficulty

·
86 Posts
Here I am thinking WTF? WTS, WTB, WTT... WTF = Want To Find? How sad is that? :rolleyes: LOL

First time I read the thread I have same thinking WTF?? Lol :D :D

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol...I take it you have clicked on that its an expression of surprise. What the

·
5,700 Posts
I have been using Bionic braid on a number of my reels for many years. I just got bored and started playing with it and the bloody thing is hollow....you beauty!

Oh Dear, yep, Don McP's first foray into braids ( under the Harro lable).
hollow & designed to be super supple , originally as a flyline backing.
you would have noticed that its a teflon coated fibre to provide a slick passage of the backing thru fly guides.

Its slipperyness is second to none in the braid field.

The downside of the slipperyness is generating adequate friction in joins.
eg.
Bimini is recommended at 70 turns min with Bionic Braid.

the coating on BB is problematic with all knots/joins.

test your insertion lengths on your loops very carefully, Rohit.

You will probably find that insertion lengths need to be double that of other hollow spectras.( and still might test lower than insertions in other braids ).

Cycle repetitive loads & manage the creep as best you can.

Just beware of what you are getting into with BB and insertion loops.........remembering that flyline backing is used at a lot lower tension than spinning/ popping/jigging applications etc.
Harro extensively tested leader attachments with BB and found a minimum 70 turn bimini more reliable than loop insertions in the hollow, FWIW ( from memory ).

A marvellous product for what it was designed for ( the worlds best flyline backing ) and can be used successfully in other applications, but joins need a lot of testing with cyclic loads so that your adaption of the product outside its designed use does not let you down in the knot/join area.

Might be worth contacting Harro for an update on his work on joins in BB, since they updated the product to the super-microfibre spectra version.
( I have not used this latest product version, so cannot offer any concise comment, other than beware of the specific teflon coating on BB in developing insertion loops ).

forewarned is forearmed & avoids disappointment..........CA glue doesn't help much with BB as it struggles for adhesion on the specific teflon coating on the BB fibres, so the role of CA is almost entirely forming a matrix coating over/within serves etc when used on BB.

also worth noting is that BB has a stretch of approx 7% compared to typical mainline spectras of about 2%.( again, this was a design criteria for the specific use BB was designed for )

2C
( and certainly not knocking the product itself, as its brilliant in the role it was designed for ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts