WTB an electric reel NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by stresst, Aug 28, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I need a reel for rock/red fish and very deep water cod and the occasional tilefish trip. I will not be using it for tuna or monster grouper. Not trying to break the bank, but dont want junk either. How are the Daiwa 750mt's? I heard the fe's are not so good? Any suggestions? I would assume 500yds of 80lb braid would be fine?

2. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I would go with a bit more than 500 yards of 80# if you are thinking of using it for tilefish. I was on a trip recently where we were drifting pretty fast and had to use 3# of lead. We were also drifting down the slope so you had to keep letting out line to keep on the bottom. I was using a reel with 600 yards of 80 and I had about 500 yards of line out. We were not fishing much more than 800' so if you are going to be going deeper I would suggest something that can fit 600 yards of line.

3. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I would go with a bit more than 500 yards of 80# if you are thinking of using it for tilefish. I was on a trip recently where we were drifting pretty fast and had to use 3# of lead. We were also drifting down the slope so you had to keep letting out line to keep on the bottom. I was using a reel with 600 yards of 80 and I had about 500 yards of line out. We were not fishing much more than 800' so if you are going to be going deeper I would suggest something that can fit 600 yards of line.

Whats up Mike? Its me Angelo, I sold you a Avet LX?(I think) A couple months back. Thanks for the reply. What kind of reel were you using or the guys around you using? 500 600 thast why Im asking i have no clue!-lol Last time I went tile fishing I used a 6/0 or 9/0 with dacron that was bout 15 years ago. I need an electric reel by the 09/09. I need all the help I can get. I would like to get something used as its only gonna be taken out 3 or 4 times a year.

4. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Hey angelo,

Yep you sold me the JX. I was actually using an avet exw 4/0 and I will never do that again. The gear ratio was terrible for bottom fishing. I also used my baker 4 when we weren't using alot of weight and were fishing more straight up and down. That reel was a pleasure to use, but unfortunately it was lackng on the capacity.