360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

859 Posts
Hey JoJo and welcome to the site!

DSG writes of my 700TE that I've promised everyone that I will not use for topwaters at tuna anymore.

A big tuna grabbed my popper, unfortunately at about 3:30 a.m.! Long story short is that Rick and Bret had to splice me onto my bigger reel to end the fight.

The drag just could not handle what this stubborn tuna was handing out.

I've since got a rig that will put out at least 20#'s of drag, a big spinner.

BTW, the 700 had just been serviced and had 16#'s of drag easy. It's got 18# now with new drags, but I'm not taking a chance on a big boat in holding my buddies up on what happened to be the last drift on an excellent bite!

Everyone was great about it, but I felt bad about it. I still believe I could fish tuna with it, but some of these YFT's can be real hard pullers.

859 Posts
jojo- It certainly has the line capacity (if you use spectra), but I'm not sure of the drag.

Most like to chunk with a 2-speed because you usually pick up bigger tuna on the chunk.

I haven't fished the Saltist, but you'll get some info here from those that have.

If you're just building your arsenal and getting into this thing, you would do well to watch the classified boards from here, www.2coolfishing.com, and AllCoast http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=348
and look to go used, but in great condition.

That's how I started until I figured out what worked best for me.

If you get your topwater tuna rig (40-50#), then a jig set up (50-60#) and maybe a heavy duty chunk/bait rig (80#) you will cover 99% of the fishing in the Gulf.

Penn is a real good previously owned reel, that if you find one in good shape, like a 30W, you'll be good!

EDIT:

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=348&topic_id=46408&mesg_id=46408&page=4

Penn 50W with line, older, but says in good condition for $200.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.