360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch lots of videos on you tube and other sites seeing guys landing BIG fish. I have not land one yet, trying to get into the game but will start small going for Grouper and Snapper.

Ok, lets be honest, do you guys workout in the gym before the trip knowing that you going to land a BIG one? Those guys on the Video sure look wearout halfway into the fight:)

·
4,574 Posts
after my first jigging trip (which wasn't even that hardcore) I got in shape for jigging down in NC :p Jigging for 2 days straight down in Wilmington.... you are going to want to be in shape and conditioned at least. I mean...that's just me... Glenn as well...we do not have that genetic DNA that tells us to ever stop fishing. After we catch and release, it's literally a race back down to the bottom.

·
4,723 Posts
Watch lots of videos on you tube and other sites seeing guys landing BIG fish. I have not land one yet, trying to get into the game but will start small going for Grouper and Snapper.

Ok, lets be honest, do you guys workout in the gym before the trip knowing that you going to land a BIG one? Those guys on the Video sure look wearout halfway into the fight:)

IMO, I think working out right before the trip doesn't really make any difference for you. You should regularly work out and train. If you're built big and strong to begin with, well then you're lucky, but gym time will help you improve your health/reduce the risks of diseases which is a good thing anyway. If you consider fishing your sport, then you should hit the gym regularly and train your body for it if you're looking to target the biggest and baddest fish just like athletes that train to improve their game in basketball, football, baseball, etc. This is a sport that you need to condition your body for, especially going after the big prize fish.

I think I am the only nut in my gym working my ass off to kill big fish over and over again... :D

·
4,574 Posts
the way my body felt after just a mild day of jigging was unreal...it woke me up and I immediately started running everyday to get back into shape needed for this style of fishing. You need stamina, endurance and will power :) Combat fishing at its finest.

·
8 Posts
Working out might mean the differnece in landing a big fish by yourself without having to hand the rod to someone else when you get sore and tired. Also it helps to be able to hold up a big fish for a photo.

Working out and staying in shape should be a lifestyle. Working out just right before a trip is useless.

·
4,723 Posts
Working out might mean the differnece in landing a big fish by yourself without having to hand the rod to someone else when you get sore and tired. Also it helps to be able to hold up a big fish for a photo.

Working out and staying in shape should be a lifestyle. Working out just right before a trip is useless.

Amen to that brotha.. :)

·
3,165 Posts
I started out with 12oz now up to 16oz curls (hiccup).:eek: All kidding aside, a good cardio program with a good diet (lots of tuna) is definitely the way to go to fight those marine monsters.

astro...

·
1,425 Posts
IMO, I think working out right before the trip doesn't really make any difference for you. You should regularly work out and train. If you're built big and strong to begin with, well then you're lucky, but gym time will help you improve your health/reduce the risks of diseases which is a good thing anyway. If you consider fishing your sport, then you should hit the gym regularly and train your body for it if you're looking to target the biggest and baddest fish just like athletes that train to improve their game in basketball, football, baseball, etc. This is a sport that you need to condition your body for, especially going after the big prize fish.

I think I am the only nut in my gym working my ass off to kill big fish over and over again... :D
I'm thinking about killing tuna while busting my tail in the gym as well.

·
4,723 Posts
I'm thinking about killing tuna while busting my tail in the gym as well.

Sure makes the time fly by in the gym pretty fast don't it? :D

·
1,699 Posts
Yep.. a little cardio dont hurt.. esp. for us fat boys... That black marlin in panama about whipped my butt last year. I got him to the boat in under 25mins, but I was huffin and puffin..

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
Atleast 30 minutes on the treadmill 3-4 times a week and upper body exercises with dumbbells, low weight-high reps. Strength is one thing, but what you really need is endurance and stamina.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
you don't need to lift heavy weights, just need to
do many repetitive sets

5-10 lbs forearm curls and jumping jack style deltoid
lifts

I don't lift, but I swim 1/2 mile 4 times a week

·
3,165 Posts
you don't need to lift heavy weights, just need to
do many repetitive sets

5-10 lbs forearm curls and jumping jack style deltoid
lifts

I don't lift, but I swim 1/2 mile 4 times a week

But San, the way u were drinking beer at my house, my guest swore u had gills..:p

astro..:D

·
804 Posts
I try to work out the muscles before a 48-60hr. trip , but Catching BKFT one after another for two nights leaves me feeling and looking a Zombie in MJ's Thriller video, hands cramped pulled in towards my chest, cheeks sucked in. Takes days to resume normal posture, and I am only 35...but have seriously abused my body in about every extreme sport that existed in the 90's

·
659 Posts
;) Don't lift, don't swim, can't run anymore, guess I'm just plain screwed! I may never be able to land a big 'un by myself...looks like the only thing I have going in my favor is a bad attitude!

·
3,165 Posts
;) Don't lift, don't swim, can't run anymore, guess I'm just plain screwed! I may never be able to land a big 'un by myself...looks like the only thing I have going in my favor is a bad attitude!

lol..bigscrnman, with that attitude, u will freeze tuna in their wake..:p

astro..

·
34 Posts
Fishing for big BFT off Cape Cod with many people I feel its been proven that its more about cardio endurance and your technique than brute strength when using spinning gear on large fish. I am the bigger stronger non runner type !! Yeah , a FAT ass !

I also noticed when people with less experince first hookup with a 150# plus tuna on spinning gear they burn up a lot of (nervous ) energy.

G

·
i used to be a bodybuilder and was quite big at one point (abt 275 lean) and I can tell you that technique matters more than anything. bench pressing 500lbs and deadlifting 700lbs really doesn't translate into THAT much when fighting a fish. i mean, it helps hauling a slob over a rail and obviously being strong is always a plus but the right technique will win out 99% of the time.

as someone said, many times people burn nervous energy right away during the fight. trying to break the fish within a minute only kills yourself. the more you relax and fight the fish properly the better off you'll be.

·
5,457 Posts
Sure makes the time fly by in the gym pretty fast don't it? :D

Im the fat guy on the treadmill behind the hot chick(look at my avatar), Im thinking about killin some tuna too, but i cant seem to be able to catch the tuna quick enough.:p

d-a

1 - 20 of 58 Posts