woo hoo!!! Avet arrived!!

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by SkeeterRonnie, Feb 22, 2007.

1. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

its like xmas in Feb!!!! My new AVET 50 SDS just arrived, and not 10 minutes before that... my BarBar 50# rod arrived!!! ALready mounted the T16 on the barbar rod and pulled 25 pounds... handle it perfectly!! Excellent choice for the Ti16. Lightweight and still has some power with 25 pounds pulling on it....

NOW.... I need Cals number in California.. I did something wrong inside the Ti16 and the drag is sticky.. it jumps under constant pull.... and freespool is not there..... I have taken it apart about 5 times and am tired of messing with it.... lol. Every part is there acording to the schematic.. i even took out the extra washer I put in there and it still is the same. It doesnt rub the frame anymore though.. lol.. I backed the rod clamp screw down a turn- it was too far into the frame and would rub the spool under load.... hehe.:D
    I think Cals could have it freespooling like a champ with it ready to load up on drag if need be.

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I thought that them there shemanos were buttery smooth right outta the box.

www.cals2speed.com

3. SkeeterRonnie

lol... it probably was before I messed with it... LOL!!! Thanks.

my personal opinion is they(shimano) are still over-rated.... I would rather have the HooX in its place...

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Fine tuning a reel is an art. I had to take a few lessons before I could do it for myself.

I still have my reservations about those Avets.

5. SkeeterRonnie

Cals is 8 weeks out and would be $95. Think I will take it back apart myself and redo my work. start over again from scratch including cleaning and degreasing... what is a good reel oil for the bearings??

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Skeeter,

Sorry to hear you having problem with the reel. Let me know if anything I can do help?

Have you try CorrotionX ?

7. SkeeterRonnie

i had it working good, then put it back in the topless cage... its my fault, I have ben tinkering with it.... LOL. It was fine when I got it from you. I found out why it rubbed and fixed that... I will get it figured out... got 2 months to figure it out... LOL!!! Good experience for me. I will know how to take it apart and reassemble it in the dark by the time I am done. I should know that anyway if I am going to fish with it....

8. FWM0103

FWM0103 Member

SKR,

Alantani has just started posting here, he definitely knows reels. Might give him a shout for advice.

9. SkeeterRonnie

is he the dentist? that posts on Bloody Decks?

10. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

11. jig

jig Senior Member

... I would rather have the HooX in its place...

Ronnie, I am convinced the whole HooX thing is a ploy by Avet to torture you and me. I will have had my special order, silver wrapped Chaos rod for a year before that reel comes out, it it ever does. We both are set up for disappointment, regardless of how good it is, since they have dragged out our expectations for so long.:)

12. DeepBlueGulf

Not to hijack the thread, but on Kilsong's Noreast Jigging forum there is mention that 5,000 of the HOOX reels are being produced and expected to be out in two weeks and orders are being taken. I'm going to order one, but I don't know what color to get, got it narrowed down to Black or Blue! Sure wish you could order different color combos, like a Blue and Gold reel!

Tom - DBG

13. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Do the HO thing...buy 2 and switch some of the parts :)

I'm going to order one, but I don't know what color to get, got it narrowed down to Black or Blue! Sure wish you could order different color combos, like a Blue and Gold reel!

Tom - DBG

14. SkeeterRonnie

LOL! I talked to Cabbage Key last week and I guess he knows Harry at AVET and said the HooX will barely have prototypes assembled by the show...???. Then they have to train the guys in assembly how to put them together.. I dont want one of the first runs... maybe one a fwew months after they get going....lol.

15. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I'm going to order one, but I don't know what color to get, got it narrowed down to Black or Blue! Sure wish you could order different color combos, like a Blue and Gold reel!

Tom - DBG

Are you the gay Realtor guy? :confused:

16. DeepBlueGulf

No I'm not, but the Gay Realtor Guy in Dallas does run the ads through Yahoo and then they just show up randomly. Hell of a note!

The reason I want a blue and gold is that I've got this awesome Seeker CJBF65XH that is wrapped in Blue, gold and silver and it would be awesome with a HOOX on it! That rod has been waiting on this reel!

DBG

17. SkeeterRonnie

i got off work at 4:30 and tore the reel completely apart... degreased the bearings with brake clean, and lubed with tans fluid(damn redneck!)LOL! I never once had to look at the schematic... did a little tweaking to the drag plate screws, and put it all back together... in 30 minutes.. I am quite pleased with myself now... it freespools for ???? I stoppped counting at 45 seconds.... and it will push 20's on strike with that freespool!!! FInally!! I did something right.. and the drag is smooth now!! time to go home now and check the drags on the ol lady!! LOL!

18. SkeeterRonnie

heres a couple pics I snapped before I started cleaning the bearings.. LOL... my "fishing" desk....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Deep_Sea_Gull

The Corrosion X that TJ reccomended is better suited for degreased bearings when one desires the max preformance.
    A bearing spacer between the spool bearings will do wonders for freespoool. I do not know if that reel comes with a spacer. The new model Penns do. The spacer eliminates to side loading on the bearings.
    This attention to detail is what the folks at Cals do as a job. I learned how but find it difficult to type the how to so that I can teach how to blueprint a reel.
    I'm glad that you achieved your desired results.

20. jig

jig Senior Member

Ronnie, the problem is obviously that your work area is too neat. I can't even see the top of mine. :)

Agree with you, I want one bad but am not getting a first run. A reel that small and light at the drag I am hoping for needs to undergo some real world testing.