Winter time N.C. bluefin

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by redneck_billcollector, Sep 25, 2008.

1. redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector Senior Member

Has anyone on here fished the Outer Banks winter run of bluefin with either of these methods (jigging or popping). I have fished it a few years back but utilized more traditional methods, I was just wondering if the jigging and popping tackle available could hold up to these monsters, we used international 80s and I wondered about whether they would fail at times. I have not seen where people have targeted tuna this size on here with jigging or popping tackle.

2. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I think it would be a hell of a strike but personally I dont think you have a snowballs chance in heck of catching one on spinning or jigging tackle.

3. redneck_billcollector

I think it would be a hell of a strike but personally I dont think you have a snowballs chance in heck of catching one on spinning or jigging tackle.
    My thoughts too, however, wouldn't it be grand to try? I reckon you would need to invest a little over 1k in tackle just to see it, 'cause I bet there ain't an outfit out there that would last more than a few seconds... have any of yall NE tuna fishermen thought about trying it? Ksong? You seem to do the most traveling to try new things, do you think any of the tackle would last?

4. gman

gman Senior Member

It will be accomplished this year there is more than a few groups all tryingvto do this this season. Wherever the water is shallow you have a chance because u can chase them down it was provenoff the cape this year when Captain Dom landed two 300 class bluefin one on a jig with a saltiga and a 8'6" rod and the other on a 8' casting rod and a Stella and popper.

Water down there is shallow and as long as u can survive that firstcmajor run u have a shot I will be down there trying gaurentee that

5. gman

gman Senior Member

will be trying the same concept in PV next month on cow yellowfin on spinning gear

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

My thoughts too, however, wouldn't it be grand to try? I reckon you would need to invest a little over 1k in tackle just to see it, 'cause I bet there ain't an outfit out there that would last more than a few seconds... have any of yall NE tuna fishermen thought about trying it? Ksong? You seem to do the most traveling to try new things, do you think any of the tackle would last?
    A guy I know had a giant on a Shibuki out of Morehead City, NJ last winter though it lased only a few seconds until all lines were gone. :)
    When you target giants, you got to prepare nomatter what tackles you use.
    I discussed with Dennis Braid a few times as he is an expert of standup fishing for giants and he have had lots of experience of fighing giants with standup gears. In fact, he encouraged me to do jigging for giants as it is possible if I am prepared for it.

I think the starting point for giant jigging/popping is DRAG. You need drag at least 35 lbs. Dennis uses 45 lbs drag for standup for giants. Are you physically prepared to endure 35 plus lbs drag for long ? And are tackle you use strong enough for 35 plus drag and do the reels have enough line capacity ? From rods/reels to terminal tackles/knots everything has to be perfect. The other question is how often you can get bites from giants and how big they are for average. 400 lbs giant is is not the same fish as 1000 lbs giant. When expect to get hit not for long, you can use 80 tackles, but you can't when you can not expect more than one for a whole day like out of NC in wniter.
    I already give up for jigging opportunity for giants out of NC as it is extremly lucky to get a hit on jigs there. The other areas I am thinking is out of Prince Edward Island, Canada or out of South Island, NZ.
    But it discouraged me that they had 8 giant over 1.000 out of Prince Edward Islands last week as they are a little big for me to fight. :)
    The best chance to fight a giant on jigs is in NZ in August, but bad weather there discouraged me to go there last three years.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

To land such a fish is an amazing accomplmishment itself. But on jig!? CRAZY KIL

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Has anyone on here fished the Outer Banks winter run of bluefin with either of these methods (jigging or popping). I have fished it a few years back but utilized more traditional methods, I was just wondering if the jigging and popping tackle available could hold up to these monsters, we used international 80s and I wondered about whether they would fail at times. I have not seen where people have targeted tuna this size on here with jigging or popping tackle.

I fish from Beaufort and have killed many over the years. After the initial run, you actually do not need a high drag, only to stop to the fish initially. After that it is more about boat control. Commercially, a fish caught on low drag will always bring more money because they are not burnt (long fight times burning up fish is a fallacy). Although this year I will be only recreational fishing.

I have several anglers already lined up to try to get one on a jig this year. We will be fishing mainly Flat side and Ayasugi jigs. They will all need to be mentally and physically prepared for a 4 hour fight.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'd have to wear a backpack with weights to keep me from flying off the boat if I used 45lb of drag HAHAHA

10. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I'd have to wear a backpack with weights to keep me from flying off the boat if I used 45lb of drag HAHAHA

that would be a great pic :)

11. redneck_billcollector

Since I started jigging I have wondered about it up there, the water is shallow so I was thinking more along the line of popping, but there are some monsters there too, of the few I have had the privilage of fighting up there, only one was small enough to keep, when I last went it was 72". Another thing I was thinking about was I have never seen it flat or calm there during blue fin season. Also due to the time of year it can get icy. I was just thinking what a challenge it would be and how dangerous it would be too. Kinda like hunting rhinos with a .22 magnum. Just enough sting to possibly piss them off. I agree with the chasing, however, most of the winter tuna boats would have to "back down" because they are battle wagons, I don't know if that would be good enough and you would get drenched, continuously for hours meaning hypothermia would be a good probablilty. While I am sure a big center consol boat would be the way to go, (or a big cat) a good chunk of the charters are those big "Carolina" custom boats and with my limited experience up there during the winter you need them. Most of the c.c.s are chasing stripers that time of year (at least that is what I seem to remember and I only looked into the big boats for charter- huge seas are common). I am thinking about trying it, if not this year, maybe next, would probably use a Stella 10k with 20k spool and get one of those monster GT popping rods, but first I need a good life insurance policy for my son, don't want him to do without.:D