Wind-on topshot question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by sweetsdream, May 12, 2009.

1. sweetsdream

sweetsdream Guest

Forgive for what is probably a stupid question but I searched this forum and a few others and can't find my answer. I wanted to try a couple pre-made wind-on topshots from BHP. Typically when I tie a bimini, I use my knee and the loop is pretty big. I guess having the loop big enough to go around the spool is helpful when attaching the wind-on but is that how it should be done or do you use a small loop? Is there a better way to attach the wind-on than a standard loop to loop doubled? I saw a post on an Australian site that showed a loop to loop then the line itself running through the spectra loop. What are your thoughts?

--
    Sweetsdream

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

when I tie a bimini for a topshot, I make it pretty small. your topshot is not that big, but make the loop large enough to pass it through. I will make the bimini loop much larger for trolling application.. Just my preference.. Loop to loop seems to be the best connection. It takes a couple of times to get it right..Once you figure it out its pretty simple.

3. trlrman

trlrman Senior Member

first time i've seen reverse albright have to try that out tonite!

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I used to like this knot. I have since swore I would never use it for casting because the tag end will eventually catch the guides on the way out.
    I still use this connection at times for lighter tackle.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I used to like this knot. I have since swore I would never use it for casting because the tag end will eventually catch the guides on the way out.
    I still use this connection at times for lighter tackle.

This was my experience too. When testing with a steady pull, the knot was among the strongest I tested. When I took it out fishing, eventually the knot occasionally caught the guides. At about the 50th cast, the plug went about 100 yards, with 12 feet of fluorocarbon leader but no braid attached.