Wind-On/Top Shot Serve

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I'm making up some wind-on leaders and am trying to decide on a technique to serve the Spectra to Fluoro for my spinning reels.

--How much force should be applied to the end of the line during the Serve? (50-80# test)

--How long should the Serve be?

--Should the Serve be glued?

--What style Serve for the home builder? (e.g. Bobbin, Nail Knot, Overhand knots, etc.)

--Should the Serve overlap the Spectra and Fluoro or just be on the Spectra?

After building several of these with good results, I'm looking for thoughts from anyone who's had use experience with their techniques. Any answers with reasons would be greatly appreciated.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

--How much force should be applied to the end of the line during the Serve? (50-80# test)

- normal force

- three feet

- yes, After put the line into the hollow, put Pliobond to get rid of freyed lines and put Zap glue. And after putting thread apply Zap glue on the thread. And wax it

--What style Serve for the home builder? (e.g. Bobbin, Nail Knot, Overhand knots, etc.)

-Bobbin

-about half inch overlap.

After building several of these with good results, I'm looking for thoughts from anyone who's had use experience with their techniques. Any answers with reasons would be greatly appreciated.

3. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

- normal force

- three feet

- yes, After put the line into the hollow, put Pliobond to get rid of freyed lines and put Zap glue. And after putting thread apply Zap glue on the thread.

-Bobbin

-about half inch overlap.

I think that three inches is plenty for a serve with about a half inch overlap.

4. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

5. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

where can I get a bobbin? all I can find is coming soon.

6. pametfisher

7. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

When I click on the bobbin it says "Coming Soon"

8. pametfisher

Try the Beiter Winder Profi. Better yet, call Basil at BHP. He's great with customer service. I am sure he can help you.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The bobbin 'Top Shot Stainless Serving Tool' is not coming as it is out of productions and they don't make it anymore. :)

As pametfisher suggested, buy Beiter Winder Profi which is availabe at BHP. It is much better one.

10. pametfisher

The bobbin 'Top Shot Stainless Serving Tool' is not coming as it is out of productions and they don't make it anymore. :)

As pametfisher suggested, buy Beiter Winder Profi which is availabe at BHP. It is much better one.

Many thanks to everyone for their comments so far. I am experimenting with a few things and will post some pictures later if there's anything worthwhile.

Happy New Year

11. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I use a bow string bobbin from Academy

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

where can I get a bobbin? all I can find is coming soon.

Get a bow server from an archery shop.

13. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

I've tried every bobbin out there. While some make a decent serve, the Beiter Winder makes absolutely the tightest serve. The drag system has the finest adjustment I have found, and is built like a tank. The Top Shot tool was a good one due to the weight, but it's out of production right now. It also does not accommodate industry-standard serving thread spools. The Beiter is your best choice IMO.

14. dirtykirk

dirtykirk Junior member

Basil, do you overlap the mono/flouro? I am always afraid that the solid core will cut the mono. Also, do you use a double serve?
    Thanks

15. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Yes, and no.

16. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Anyone have one they no longer use and want to sell? PM me. Thanks

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Anyone have one they no longer use and want to sell? PM me. Thanks

Get a bowstring serving tool.

18. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I bought the BWP. Since it doesn't come with instructions on how to create the serve, it was trial-and-error. I finally figured out how to make the 'just right' tightness adjustment and snug it up against the wind on and in the grooves. Wow...that works slick! I'm knock'em out now. :D

19. pametfisher

I bought the BWP. Since it doesn't come with instructions on how to create the serve, it was trial-and-error. I finally figured out how to make the 'just right' tightness adjustment and snug it up against the wind on and in the grooves. Wow...that works slick! I'm knock'em out now. :D

It sounds really good. Can you post a photo of the finished serve?

I've been using the finished leader to slowly lift 75% of the line rating 20 times to test serve strength. I destroyed several commercial leaders but not the BHP. ;)

20. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

DanS, you can access some informative video tutorials online. The Blackwater site has the most comprehensive, also check out the Pakula website.