360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using loop-to-loop wind-on leaders to solid core PE. After reading on here I'm changing to hollow core PE and have a couple of questions. With the solid PE I was doing a Bimini to get a loop. What tool(s) do I need to do a loop in 60 to 80# hollow core and is it as easy as it looks? Should I use any glue?

Up to now I've just use the Shimano FC loop-to-loop leaders. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the other brands/types of pre-made looped FC leaders. I'll be using 60 & 80# on butterfly jigs and 60# for tarpon.

·
1,386 Posts
I've been using loop-to-loop wind-on leaders to solid core PE. After reading on here I'm changing to hollow core PE and have a couple of questions. With the solid PE I was doing a Bimini to get a loop. What tool(s) do I need to do a loop in 60 to 80# hollow core and is it as easy as it looks? Should I use any glue?

Up to now I've just use the Shimano FC loop-to-loop leaders. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the other brands/types of pre-made looped FC leaders. I'll be using 60 & 80# on butterfly jigs and 60# for tarpon.

You need no glue and only a bent piece of 24" of #2 or #4 Malin rigging wire.

The instructions are on BHP Tackle and Blackwater International. You can access them here: at the How-to Section.

You'll be pleased with the performance of these lines.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both of these show a latch needle, how would I do the same thing with the rigging wire? I guess if I had this and where making these loops I would understand how a bent piece of wire would be the same as having a guard on the loop when you pull it back. Do you just squeeze the loop all the way closed?

Is there a comparison on here of different FC characteristics?

·
1,386 Posts
Both of these show a latch needle, how would I do the same thing with the rigging wire? I guess if I had this and where making these loops I would understand how a bent piece of wire would be the same as having a guard on the loop when you pull it back. Do you just squeeze the loop all the way closed?

Is there a comparison on here of different FC characteristics?

Take the rigging wire, bend it in half, thread it through the hollow weave and pull the line back through. On my solid hollow splice post you can see some photos that show the wire inserted.

Hollow Spectra Techniques: Splicing Hollow-Weave line to Solid Line

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, I didn't realize you were doubling the wire, I "assumed" you did a short loop. Makes sense now, duh...

·
723 Posts

Mike,

You will be most pleased with the hollow core lines. I use the 60lb. JB Hollow for Bluefin Tuna Casting. If you are going to use these LL leaders for jigging / vertical fishing, I suggest getting them from Basil (BHP Tackle). His leaders have been tested, retested, and proven. They will not fail. They are not any more pricey than the Shimano leaders either. If you are going to use them to cast (off a spinning setup) then I suggest the Steamline leaders from Pametfisher on this site. His design is different than any other product out there and were specifically designed to be casted. If you are curious about what makes them different, and better for casting, he has a website that shows how they are constructed and why they are better for casting.

·
1,631 Posts
Take a look at these leaders too:

Streamline: Products

someone on this forum linked me to that site. Looks like really nice stuff and once i have my new rod/reel setup I'm going to be order 4 of those to start with.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys; I'll look at streamline; that may be what I need. My favorite fishing is sight casting to tarpon in clear water (but I'm also using this info for my jigging). To get a good bite ratio I'm limited to 60# max at least 12' long FC leaders, to prevent bite off or loss to abrasion of the leader I'm limited to 60# min FC leaders. (narrow range there). Most of the time we're sight fishing near the beach in fairly open shallow water so I'm at 12# of drag and after the initial run (if the boat operator does his job) the tarpon is no more than 100 yds out. After landing one fish the leaders are toast so whatever rod we hook-up on gets a new leader, the loop-to-loop would be great for this). If we get a solid bite and don't hook-up the hook/lure gets immediately retied or if it's too hectic the hook/lure gets cut off and the rod put up to prevent reuse until it's retied. If the mainline touches anything like a crabpot or structure it's cut off above that point.

For this type of fishing I'm primarily using spinning tackle on 8' rods, the tackle ranges from Certate 3500HD and Stella 4000's, to 6000, 8000 and up to 10000 Stella's depending on the size of the fish. Most days the size of choice is 8000. This area is a breeding destination so the fish primarily range from 100 to 240 with 150 being average, the fish that summer here are in the same size class. We don't get a lot of juvenile tarpon in this area most years so the lighter tackle like the Certate and Stella 4000 is reserved for fishing in the Keys or late in the day when we want to test our finesse skills. You can land big tarpon on light tackle but since it's C&R with big sharks in the area it's not good for the fish to excessively tire them out.

This site has given me some great info that makes me think, I like that and have some great ideas that I hope will give me what I'm looking for. I have a couple of more questions but I'll save that for another thread.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts