Willmington NC

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by gman, Jun 1, 2008.

1. gman

gman Senior Member

The search for the triple digit AJ ... came close

A Special Thanks,

Chip & Arlen ... It was truly my pleasure and honer to meet you both, I enjoyed talking fishing with you both and really loved my time on the water with you. You guys are awesome and two of the most accommodating, genuine people I've met who made us feel like we were family. You guys are great even Chop bustin Chip ha ha

To the jigging nuts who braved the elements it was great fishing with and meeting all of you ... Al, Gene, Tony, Bret and the master Sami. Bret and Tony you both are very skilled anglers it was pleasure to drop some lines with you

The Charter: ANYONE who wants to get into non stop jigging actions needs to get a charter with Chip and Arlen these guys are some of the fishiest people I've met. Im already planning Part 2. Chip is fun to fish with and really knows how to run a boat and find the fish

Trip Report After months of planning we all met down in NC on Friday and proceeded to get drinks and dinner together. It was really cool because I felt like we all knew each other for years. The forecast was for 4' swells in the AM and then it would pick up again later in the day so the decision was made to leave in the dark and off we went

Every bit of 4's and a rough wet and bumby 3 hour ride we made it to the ground. I can sum up the trip in one sentence

One drop one fish, if you love to jig this is heaven

On my boat Tony, Bret and I dropped for the first time at the same time on the first drop and within 3 cranks off the bottom we were all tight. Big Alamaco Jacks at first and then the AJ's came, then Chip dropped and we were all tight again, and again and again. The drift Tunes, Chartruse OTI's and Nagamasa 400's were the hot jigs. I would have to say my boat has to of released atleast 50 + fish that day as I know I was some where in the high 20's and Bret and his father Tony were both there as well, we had several slobs pushing over 50 and the one big 80# Jack who smoked off alot of line off my new stella

The big boy hit and ripped off alot of line immediately and then from there it was slow and steady until he surfaced what a slob, not a 100 but a very respectable fish over 50" fork in the 75-80 class which unfortunately was 1" short of Sami "the Master" biggest fish.

Chip caught a couple of blackfin tuna on topwater and I had a shot at a big 30# class Bull Mahi but he spit it

The fishery: NC fishery is insane, tuna, Mahi, grouper and just rediculous amounts of big bruiser Amberjacks to be caught literally on every drop. I will be back sooner than you think because that 100# fish is there i know it. I found myself obsessed with the next drop

Gear: The Hots 52ex is without a doubt my favorite rod, I actually loved it more that the 48XXH for some reason and it put a hurtin' on the fish. My new stella was sweeeeeeeeet, very light an the drag clicker was. I did manage to blow up a Fin Nor spinning reel sounded like somone put a fork in a garbage disposal LOL. The JM 500 was great along with Bret and Tonys OTI rods

Glenn

Pictures and video to come

[​IMG]

Captain Chip hooked up

[​IMG]

Bret hooked Up

[​IMG]

Tony Hooked Up
    [​IMG]

Glenn Hooked Up

[​IMG]

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture013-2.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture010-5.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture017-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture011-3.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture015-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture019-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture023-1.jpg

getting bigger

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture018-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture020-1.jpg

80 pounder

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture021-1.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture022-1.jpg

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Bret and Tony it was great fishing with you you are both tremendous people and anglers, I wish the weather held out one more day so we could have gone back out there

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Nice report. I know you guys had been planning this trip for some time. Glad you got to fish at least one day. The weather God's might have done you a favor for not getting to fish a second day. I've finally recovered from three days of rough seas over Memorial weekend. I'm sure your sore from fighting the seas and catching all those brutal AJ's after just one day. Rough weather will take a toll on the old body. It's hurts worse with every year of age.:mad:
    I gather from your report the new 08 stella was worth the price. Glad it performed well for you.

Few questions for you.
    1. Are all the AJ's in NC non eatable?
    2. Did you see many weed lines on the way to the AJ grounds?
    3. Did the fin nor egg beater break on a fish or did Bret fall on it?:)
    4. Did anyone try to give a Saragosa a workout?

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

1. From what i gather all the AJs in NC have worms other than the smaller ones in the 10-20lb range which are edible.

2. The nice thing about the carolinas is and from wilmington the blue water is only about 20to30miles out. You see weed lines often on the way out. Mahi are usually present at some point during the day when you are drifting or anchoring up for grouper/ajs

AJs are fun to catch but it does get old, grouper jigging is much more challenging in my opinion and much more rewarding when you actually hook up to a monster. i was happy to catch AJs but after the first few I regretting spending the money i did on special jigs/rods/reels just for AJs as they will readily take many of the cheaper jigs.

5. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey glenn is that chip using a smith mariana rod? I just bought one as well

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I swear Glenn must hate cameras :p Smile damn-it! Great trip guys.

Glenn, reasons why you like the 52XH over the 48XXH Wei World? Length? Better action with jigs?

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Nice report. I know you guys had been planning this trip for some time. Glad you got to fish at least one day. The weather God's might have done you a favor for not getting to fish a second day. I've finally recovered from three days of rough seas over Memorial weekend. I'm sure your sore from fighting the seas and catching all those brutal AJ's after just one day. Rough weather will take a toll on the old body. It's hurts worse with every year of age.:mad:
    I gather from your report the new 08 stella was worth the price. Glad it performed well for you.

Few questions for you.
    1. Are all the AJ's in NC non eatable?
    2. Did you see many weed lines on the way to the AJ grounds?
    3. Did the fin nor egg beater break on a fish or did Bret fall on it?:)
    4. Did anyone try to give a Saragosa a workout?

Mr Bill ... my back is feeling it today ... the constant pounding on the way out and back just killed me and I literally I caught atleast 20-25 Aj's up to 80 lbs in 4 hours while dropping a 400g jig every drop in steep current. Physically demanding trip. Every drop I was hooked up. My adreneline was pumping so hard after every fish I just dropped and waited for the pain to start again but then I just became energized by the thought of bigger fish

The best thing about the fishery is its all catch and release, no one takes them because they have worms, we released every fish. No weed lines the current and wind ripped them apart alot of seperate grass

it started making noises on a decent AJ and then basically imploded, on the way up it started making noises. I said Chip Im praying I dont get zzzzzzzzzzzzz pounced on. ha ha

Bret has a saragosa I believe it worked fine. No tackle issues other teh the fin nor, I was tempted to toss it but I didnt want to ruin teh ocean with that piece of junk

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I swear Glenn must hate cameras :p Smile damn-it! Great trip guys.

Glenn, reasons why you like the 52XH over the 48XXH Wei World? Length? Better action with jigs?

I just like the length, I loved it I used the 48 once and then use the 52 all day. Its the same blank but I felt the 52 worked the jig better and gave me better angles at atimes

9. gman

gman Senior Member

1. From what i gather all the AJs in NC have worms other than the smaller ones in the 10-20lb range which are edible.

2. The nice thing about the carolinas is and from wilmington the blue water is only about 20to30miles out. You see weed lines often on the way out. Mahi are usually present at some point during the day when you are drifting or anchoring up for grouper/ajs

AJs are fun to catch but it does get old, grouper jigging is much more challenging in my opinion and much more rewarding when you actually hook up to a monster. i was happy to catch AJs but after the first few I regretting spending the money i did on special jigs/rods/reels just for AJs as they will readily take many of the cheaper jigs.

Peter define challenging?? LOL We went 70 miles out searching for beasts. Challenging to me is being punished every drop to get a chance at the next which is hopefully a triple digit fish. Grouper jigging definately is tougher with the amount of bites per drop but I was on a hunt and praying the weather held out so I could get another day. Also I found that certain sizes and colors attracted the biggest fish. I was jigging with a 13" jig and consitabtly got some bruisers

10. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Bret and Tony it was great fishing with you you are both tremendous people and anglers, I wish the weather held out one more day so we could have gone back out there

Glenn, pleasure was all ours! Always great to fish with an expert. If the weather held, I might've died with another day of big AJ fishing.

Its true that at some point, this AJ fishing might get old. However, so would making love to the most beautiful woman in the world, but who wouldn't like to get to that point! ;) I've fished offshore for a lot of years and haven't seen a fishery like this. What you're unprepared for is the sheer numbers of aggressive, quality fish. Give me the choice between this fishing and trolling for 8 hours for 1 bite, I'll take this every time. Particularly when you know the next drop could be that 100+ horse! (Oh, and you can always switch to groupers either in the same spot or one not too far away!)

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

great report
    pics are awesome
    chip and arlen, you guys sure know where the fish are

12. gman

gman Senior Member

Glenn, pleasure was all ours! Always great to fish with an expert. If the weather held, I might've died with another day of big AJ fishing.

Its true that at some point, this AJ fishing might get old. However, so would making love to the most beautiful woman in the world, but who wouldn't like to get to that point! ;) I've fished offshore for a lot of years and haven't seen a fishery like this. What you're unprepared for is the sheer numbers of aggressive, quality fish. Give me the choice between this fishing and trolling for 8 hours for 1 bite, I'll take this every time. Particularly when you know the next drop could be that 100+ horse! (Oh, and you can always switch to groupers either in the same spot or one not too far away!)

Thanks for the kind words Tony, I was extremely impressed with both you and Bret you can tell you were both fishing your whole lives on top of you being great guys to be around.

Im far from an expert but my stamina that day actually surprised me ha ha My back feels like its broken from the rides though

13. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Thanks for the report and pictures I gota get over there soon!

14. gman

gman Senior Member

I couldn't be more impressed with that reel, some thoughts after using it. There is definitly a difference in the weight, couple with the toy rods (hots) it was like there was no weight at all. The new drag system was fantastic, very smooth along with the new spool design you can see the line lays better and comes off better due to the new spool design. The drag clicker sounds awesome like a 50w peeling off line. Thats was the best part

FYI gore-tex is not waterproof LOL

15. gman

gman Senior Member

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ah just got on to see/read all these........those videos are great, i'd like to thank chip for that commentary, haha.

The fishing was lights out as always. Seriously everyone, if you want to be catching fish nonstop then go there. It's insane. We did get destroyed (again) on the way out. Apparently I'm back luck for weather. It came back to bite me as well, as I got the flu saturday night!!!!

Glenn is was great fishing with you, and thanks for showing me the Page Ranking knot! We need to do it again real soon!

Chip - I'm thinking 3rd weekend in July perhaps? Not sure, that's kind of a long time from now, I might need to come back sooner ;)

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Chip - I'm thinking 3rd weekend in July perhaps? Not sure, that's kind of a long time from now, I might need to come back sooner ;)

I might be game. =)

18. gman

gman Senior Member

Im not waiting that long LOL

19. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Possibly the weekend of July 12th?

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it depends, my girlfriend wants to go and fish...if the weather is good maybe we'll run out for the AJs, if not id like to catch pompano and mahi inshore :)