williamson poppers

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by SkeeterRonnie, Oct 28, 2008.

1. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Has anyone used these poppers? if so, how do they hold up. the swivels scare me on durability, and the hooks look kinda thin. I have never seen one before, and wonder if theywill last for more than a dozen fish.:cool:

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

they seem fine. toneyc caught a nice yft on one. they will hold up better than the tuna hunters. just change the hardware if thats all whats bothering you.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Its hard for a plastic lure to last 12 tuna. Swivels and hooks can be changed.

d-a

4. SkeeterRonnie

thanks guys. that answered my questions. saw them in the Saltwater Sportsman magazine earlier.

5. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

Its hard for a plastic lure to last 12 tuna. Swivels and hooks can be changed.

d-a

thats the exact reason I only usually Frenzy poppers now as they are basically solid acrilic (sp)

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

thats the exact reason I only usually Frenzy poppers now as they are basically solid acrilic (sp)

They break too.

d-a

7. ALW

ALW Senior Member

The Frienzy glow popper is one of the best I have ever used. The hooks don't straighten on big fish. The 6-0 VMC do straighten. The OTI poppers have great hooks as well. The Tunahunters have weak VMC hooks and need changing for big fish.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i replace hooks on everything to the 4x strong gama 5/0 hooks.

9. SkeeterRonnie

probably stick with what works for me... the OTI poppers. they dont need any hardware upgrade.

10. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

IMO, the toughest lure out there is Craftbait. I've not caught a dozen tuna on a single Craftbait yet (just started fishing them this season), but I do have 2 that have maybe 5 YFT between them and they look almost brand new. Super tough finish and body, never had another lure come close as far as durability is concerned. The downside is that breaking one off will make you mildly nauseous. Execpt for the lip, Shibuki's are pretty tough too.

Most tuna I've ever caught on a single lure is 9, and I kept that lure after it broke (it hangs on the desk in my home office).

11. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Has anyone used these poppers? if so, how do they hold up. the swivels scare me on durability, and the hooks look kinda thin. I have never seen one before, and wonder if theywill last for more than a dozen fish.:cool:

Get the Pink and Blue one man, it's a killer.

12. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Get the Pink and Blue one man, it's a killer.

13. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

For those of you that I have never shared time at the rail with, let me introduce you to Old Faithful. I've been fishing this same $5 BPS popper since GEM 2003 and it has accounted for ~25 YFT and probably 100+ BkFT. It doesn't see quite as much action now as it once did but it is always in my tackle bag and is ready to do battle if the fish are favoring smaller poppers.

This picture is from 2004 when it was still relatively "new" but now there is just a hint of blue on it's back.
    [​IMG]

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

thats pretty amazing for that lure to hold up to that many fish. i never even considered the BPS lures. interesting.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

how heavy are they? id use them, ive seen guys using them with good luck

16. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

txseadog,

don't ever lose that lure.............

that's all, carry on

17. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Souls Braebus (shibuki) in mahi color - Anglers Pro Shop

Labo popper (tuna hunter jr. size)

unique front profile.

from the back ( imagine this dropping in front of a 100lb.er.

Attached Files:

18. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

how heavy are they? id use them, ive seen guys using them with good luck

They are fairly lite -- may 40g w/ heavier hooks and rings.