Williamson Jet Popper

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Albiemanmike, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I happened to be near a shop today that sells a lot of offshore tackle which the ones near me don't. So against my better judgement I went over to take a look at what they had for poppers. It is always a very bad idea for me to walk in this place as I cannot get out of there for under $100 and it usually is more than that. Well I looked at what they had for poppers and I had a choice between the Yozuri holographic finish poppers (forget the name) but they were $30 ea. and smaller than what I was looking for. Then I see some Williamson 4 oz. Jet poppers that were $19.99 ea. so I picked up 2 of them. Has anyone used these for tuna yet??? They look really good and have holes drilled in the face to create a bubble trail while popping them. They seem to be very heavy duty but I will reserve judgement until I actually hookup and land a large tuna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Hey Mike, good pick up. They are a duplicate of a Fisherman brand popper. good shape.

I know amberjacks love them, I did use one in Panama and it caught some yellowfin. The poppers definately work, just make sure to angle your rod down as they tend to flip a bit if the angle isnt right

what hooks are those

3. Albiemanmike

Hey Mike, good pick up. They are a duplicate of a Fisherman brand popper. good shape.

I know amberjacks love them, I did use one in Panama and it caught some yellowfin. The poppers definately work, just make sure to angle your rod down as they tend to flip a bit if the angle isnt right

what hooks are those

G,
    The hooks are VMC 6X "Fish Fighters". They are red but the color is already coming off and I just bought them today......:D Thankfully I didn't buy them for the red hooks. I really like the holes in the head idea, the rattles and the flash foil center body section. I think they will work fine. I needed some heavier poppers to use with the Tuna Sniper 60-80 and these will chuck a mile with that rod.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

G,
    The hooks are VMC 6X "Fish Fighters". They are red but the color is already coming off and I just bought them today......:D Thankfully I didn't buy them for the red hooks. I really like the holes in the head idea, the rattles and the flash foil center body section. I think they will work fine. I needed some heavier poppers to use with the Tuna Sniper 60-80 and these will chuck a mile with that rod.

yeah they will work fine, like I said Ive used them in two places and caught fish. The one I "borrowed" in Panama is swimming around in a larger tuna and the other one I gave back to its owner after I surgically removed it from this amberjacks mouth

[​IMG]

5. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Edit: Nevermind, different size.

6. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Mike: What shop did you visit that had these poppers? I bought one over the winter but haven't tried it for Tuna yet.

John

7. Albiemanmike

John,
    Ricky Mola at Fisherman's World had them. I love his shop but hate the prices. But it is Fairfield County so it isn't surprising. They were only $19.99 and I looked them up online tonight and they are selling for $14-15 before shipping so $19.99 isn't bad.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

they should hold up to a few fish. i was worried about the way the swivels are connected to the body. they are molded into the plastic and think that it would wear out after a few fish. but so far i havent heard that happening. good price though

9. mbg60

mbg60 Member

Not thru wired then?

10. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Nope. I have worried about it too. I think with lighter drag settings (25 and under) they will be fine. They will surely wear out more quickly than a wooden popper with wire.

11. Albiemanmike

I am concerned as well but I had to give them a try. If they don't pan out I'll just try something else. According to the literature (????) they have been tested on tuna. wahoo, marlin, tarpon, etc. so they should be good for at least a fish or two.