360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
The most unique moment of the trip for me was at our first stop, I had already hooked 2 solid sharks that fought hard, get them high enough to see them good and cut off and take my jig. 2 jigs down the first hour, good times but hey. So as walking up after tying a 3rd. Just as was releasing dropping it down, we heard a loud splash and could see the water stirred about 30 foot off the starboard bow. Everyone was like what was that? We heard it but no one saw it, then like literally few seconds later a shark leaps out the water, looks to be about 6 ft spinning in the air. We are all like wow, then as i start jigging i hooked up but my line is screaming not down buy straight out. Then that shark leaped out the water twice about a 100 ft are so straight off the bow, dives straight down and bulldogs me for like good 10 maybe 15 minutes, then breaks off.
Go tie a 4th jig, walk up drop it, hook up immediately, right off the bat its another heavy fish, fight it a few minutes, Asked Carlos (deckhand) hey take this. Another solid shark about 6 ft.

Good times

What type of jig were you using?

·
Registered
237 Posts
interesting, i have those jigs in my bag, I usually use them for blackfin. What kind of shark was it, if it was jumping the 2 sharks that come to mind is mako and blacktip. But if you got those to the boat you should of been able to keep one of them

·
Registered
39 Posts
interesting, i have those jigs in my bag, I usually use them for blackfin. What kind of shark was it, if it was jumping the 2 sharks that come to mind is mako and blacktip. But if you got those to the boat you should of been able to keep one of them
Carlos (deckhand) said they had to be released, couldn't bring them on the boat They looked to be big blacktips, I'm no expert. The one leaping made me think a spinner shark, it did complete twist in the air, who knows it broke off out of sight, only to see it leap twice after hooking it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I think it was boomvang. I overheard the deck hand say it it was about 3500ft of water. It was a great time I feel like I learned a lot and can't wait for my next shot at them. Everyone seemed to work together well and didn't mind sharing info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story and photos. I have never been to such events. I didn't have any friends who could invite me to such a place for a party, but I would really like to visit it at least once in my life. I've even read an article on What To Wear To A Boat Party At Night - BoatCrunch about what is better to wear at boat parties so that if I suddenly receive this invitation, I will be ready for it. I learned a lot of useful information that is easy to remember, and I really need it in the future. I'm just wondering how you got to such boat parties? Who invites you?
Rubber boots are a must

·
Registered
3 Posts
What type of jig were you using?
A couple of us are going on the 24th. Hopefully we do as well as they did on yesterday’s trip. Will be my first time on that boat, so I always lower my expectations when not 💯 on what to expect
A couple buddies and me are going on this one too. It will be all of our first. Hopefully we get into them

·
Registered
31 Posts
Trip was a lot of fun. 60 something blackfin and 4 yellowfin. There were a lot of cudas we brought back like 10 of them. We caught probably double the amount of black fins but they were just heads. The weirdest catch was I caught about a 4ft squid. Im happy with how it went for my first tuna trip. The staff was great knowledgeable and helpful. Everyone was friendly. I'm sure I've left out something.
60 BF tunas ? Wow, The New Buc ain't catching hardly any lately.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A couple buddies and me are going on this one too. It will be all of our first. Hopefully we get into them
A couple of us are going on the 24th. Hopefully we do as well as they did on yesterday’s trip. Will be my first time on that boat, so I always lower my expectations when not 💯 on what to expect
You guys get out, post up how things went....

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys get out, post up how things went....
We got out and it was a rough one. Big seas on the way out. The bottom fishing on the first day wasn't very good so I didn't fish much. Didn't catch many tuna on the first spot 1 YF. After a few hours moved to another spot. They tied into a few big ones on halcos that broke off. Caught 1 on a halco and then me and a buddy ended up catching 2 on chunking. Think the total was 4 YF 15 BF. Lost just as many BF to cudas. The snapper fishing on the way back on was great.
Sky Wheel Tire Water Sunglasses

41 - 60 of 88 Posts