Willamson jigs????

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by stresst, Aug 22, 2008.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Do you guys use the hooks it comes with or do you swap them out for something differant. I used them twice with no problems(but nothing over 45lbs either) , my buddies all swap over to Owner.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I tried using them from factory and using different assist. Did not have much luck either way with those jigs personally.

3. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I exclusively use williamson jigs for casting and for jigging. Surface iron works wonders sometimes. Always use the factory hooks on it as well and never had a problem.

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I use Williamson for Black Fin because they will eat almost any jig..
    But use Raptor hooks because I can. :)

Attached Files:

5. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I have had issues with the solid rings that came with the Williamson jigs. They are flatter than most solid rings and have cut through my leader a few times. I've seen some that almost look like steel washers. I've never had any issues with their hooks.

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I use Williamson for Black Fin because they will eat almost any jig..
    But use Raptor hooks because I can. :)

Those are river2sea jigs.

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

True,
    I use raptor hooks on them also. :)

Small travel pack I currently have on hand just in case...

Attached Files:

8. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I've caught one Black Jack on the Williamson Benthos jig, but nothing on the Abyss jigs. I did use the supplied assist rig, but after preparing for next weekend AJ fest, I threw them out and upgraded to my own homemade assist hooks. I don't want to risk having my mono cut cuz of that pressed solid ring.

9. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Guess its time for new hooks-lol Thanks for the replies

10. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

i use williamson religiously and have yet to have one fail

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Do you guys use the hooks it comes with or do you swap them out for something differant. I used them twice with no problems(but nothing over 45lbs either) , my buddies all swap over to Owner.

In my book Williamsons don't even hold a candle to the Shimano or Shimano knock offs. That is from personal observations.

12. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i like the abyss jigs. however the fisherman crazy long(original) is much nicer. same deal, the lines are crisp and makes the jig dance. i actually like the williamson lazer tape job better than the original paint on the fisherman jigs. it lasts longer. the hooks are very nice. never had one break. the cord is very weak. even with bluefish it gets sliced to bits. faster than standard owner stingers even. i use kevlar cord from APS. i dont get to fish that much, so when i do im not taking any chances. why bother with the stellas and the top tier rods if im going to rely on substandard assists to hold the fish?

13. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Have used Williamson jigs, never a problem with the hook! I have had the fish cut through the assist material, but never straightened or broke a hook.

DBG

14. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

We use both the Williamson Abyss Speed Jigs & Williamson Benthos Speed Jigs and have had great luck. At around $8 per they are a good deal for the quality of the product.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I have seen people use the williamsons out of package and have no problem with them. I am sure they are great jigs, I just never really fished them much.

16. jig

jig Senior Member

They are both great jigs. I use the abyss for deeper water, and the benthos for not so deep. If I had to pick only one lure for offshore, it would be the pink 7oz benthos. I have had no problem with the hooks, BUT, I have heard direct from good source that he had some break. I do tie my own and replace once the existing wears some.

Agree with 'washer' ring problem though, and So I tie to the jig eye itself now.