360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am hoping to go on the New Buccaneer for a Tuna Safari and I’m undecided on a spinning popping rod setup, currently I have a St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7’11” heavy, fast 3/4-3oz, line rates to 40 lb. My question is will this be enough for a YFT or should I look at going to a heavier setup. I’m looking to cast Halcos and poppers. My feeling is the rod will be much under matched the recommended usage. Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey everyone, I am hoping to go on the New Buccaneer for a Tuna Safari and I’m undecided on a spinning popping rod setup, currently I have a St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7’11” heavy, fast 3/4-3oz, line rates to 40 lb. My question is will this be enough for a YFT or should I look at going to a heavier setup. I’m looking to cast Halcos and poppers. My feeling is the rod will be much under matched the recommended usage. Any input would be appreciated, thank you!
I think I've seen Capt. Matt mention using a rod rated at 50lb minimum on these trips for casting Halco's? I purchased a Penn Carnage 7'6" popping rod rated for up to 80lb braid that works great! It's hard to find a popping rod less than $200 anywhere if you're just getting into it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely need a 65 lb minimum braid popping rod, I really like the Daiwa Proteus Wynn grip spinning rods, The Wynn grip feels great casting hours at a time and the rod works halcos real well. I feel the longer stiffer popping rods don't work the halco as well as a nice 7' 6" rod.

I'd go with a 14k spinning reel, you could get away with an 8k or 10k, but your probably gonna upgrade later, might as well get a 14k. shimano spheroes/saragossa. Daiwa bqmq is also very smooth. Learn to tie a PR or FG knot well and test it, big 230lb bb swivels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Damon, I got the PR and FG dialed down with testing them on my cable stack machine. Will surely check out that Daiwa rod, I was looking at the OTI TS2. You’re right I think on a fairly crowded boat I wouldn’t want to go longer that a 7’6”. I have a newer model Saragossa 14K, that would have been my next question if that would be enough reel. It looks like some giant YFT can be caught!

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Look into the OTI Ts2 popping rod, Jigging World Ghost Hunter popping rod, or Shimano grappler rods if you’re not tying to spend a whole lot. Penn Carnage 2 makes a 7’6 model specific to popping and it runs just under $200

·
Super Moderator
6,218 Posts
you really dont need a specific rod action to fish a halco 130.
its just a big rattle trap. if it slightly loads the rod under steady retrieve (just like a rattletrap) you're good.
think stickbait rod with a parabolic action instead of a fast tip. then just find that in your fishing weight class.
OTI OceanXtreme 40-60# is probably the best value and action you're looking for. it can be had used for
200 bux if you can find one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The bow area is where overhead casting is allowed. Its tight up there, but as long as you know how to cast, remain aware of your surroundings, and can work in tight quarters you will be fine. If you have never done it before it can look intimidating at first, but if you observe for a bit you will see how everyone works pretty well together. I use an 8'6" popping rod myself. Plenty of room to work with up there. Just always be aware of where your lure is when you are in your back swing.

·
Super Moderator
6,218 Posts
In my experience, following a rotation on the casting deck is probably the safest, most productive way to fish.
get in line on the port beam and rotate in as the others cast and walk down the starboard rail, working their lure.
super important- call your shot. announce " goin out", "heads up", etc. just be noticed so others can adapt.
this will form into a rotation that is safe and productive.
I have never gotten hooked in 20 yrs following this rule
FWIW- I think a 8.5-9 foot rod is a little long for this as the longer rod typically requires a longer
casting lead that swings an arc well past the rod tip, allowing unintentional consequences,
like a new ear-piercing, LoL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Forgot to mention calling your shot. That definitely helps with keeping accidents from happening.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don't think a rotation would work on the bow of the New Buc, bit too big. I definitely need to head south and give the Scat a go though =)

·
Super Moderator
6,218 Posts
Don't think a rotation would work on the bow of the New Buc, bit too big. I definitely need to head south and give the Scat a go though =)
New Bucc and Scat Cat/Wharf cat have pretty much the same exact hull and deck layout, as they were built from the same plans by the same shipbuilder. rotation works great, usually 5-6 casters at a time with very few issues.
I will admit I have cracked my shins on the anchor windlass more than a few times while tight to fish

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I'd look at the Shimano Grappler Type C or Jigging World Ghost - for that size of fish I'd probably go with the Type C as I think it has a slightly better action. If you got into an 18k size reel for BFT then I'd go with the JW

·
1,753 Posts
I have fished the New Buccaneer a few times. Most times we stood in place and cast out in or respective spots. The bow is big so as long as you check behind you as you cast to ensure you aren’t going to tangle with someone you will be fine. I have cast a 7’ ugly stick tiger through a Racepoint 150 which was 8’ plus I believe with no issue. I want the stick that will launch my bait the furthest I can. You have to have enough backbone to put heavy pressure on your fish to get it on the boat quickly and avoid tangles cuda and sharks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts