Why is GLoomis so unpopular?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by JPW01, Aug 25, 2009.

1. JPW01

JPW01 Junior member

Hello, thanks for the wealth of information that I am desperately trying to read up on.

Since I've gotten bit by the saltwater bug, I wanted to try to start buying tackle so I can go on a tuna trip someday. I am mostly a inshore/freshwater fisherman, so this is all new to me.

My one question, is why G Loomis is fairly understated or unpopular for offshore species? I have a few of the surf, saltwater and hybrid rods for fluke/seabass and tog and have had good results.

Is there something that I should be watching out for? I am really a big loomis fan with 20+ mostly glx/imx grade freshwater poles. My first reaction is to go with what I know and order the pelagic rods for a jigging and a popping rod. But something doesn't feel right when every board I read, Loomis is never mentioned.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

gloomis has incredible products. i use them myself. the pelagic series are too heavy for jigging and popping, these rods are designed for live bait, trolling, etc, basically everything else but jigging and popping. there are better choices for the same amount of money.

the problue PBR785C could be used for light to medium jigging and their spinners in that series could be used for light popping applications

3. red34

red34 Guest

I am by no means an expert on the subject of jigging or popping, but I'd go out and say that Loomis' #1 and #2 characteristics are their sensativity and weight, or lack there of... Those are both great attributes for freshwater bass and saltwater flats fishing situations, and are relatively expensive blanks. (Worth it when you're needing those attributes)

Now in offshore fishing, sensativity and feel aren't at the top of the totem pole when you are looking at characteristics you want your rod to have. Durability, toughness, and quality of components come to mind first. Then you get into specialized aspects such as parabolic bend, distance casting, raw power etc...

Loomis aren't built for these specific types of fishing, OTI, Smith, etc... are. Now Loomis is about as close to the top as you can get in Bass fishing (if things are similar to when I used to care about freshwater ;) ) just like the forementioned companies are in the Jigging and Popping realm.

I know this rambled a bit, but the point is that Loomis are not specifically built for this type of fishing (Jigging or Popping) and you can get similar to better characteristics from blanks that cost a fraction of what a Loomis goes for in an offshore application.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

kidflex is right-on regarding the loomis rods. the pro-blue is an inshore rod and suitable for light jigging inshore snappers and other fish to maybe 10-12kg comfortably.

5. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

As folks have mentioned, GLoomis makes great saltwater rods -- just match the rod to what you want to do with it. :)

The Greenwater rods are GREAT inshore rods for Speckled Trout, Redfish, Snook, baby Tarpon, Bluefish, Stripers, ...

The Popping Rods (PR series) and Live Bait (LR series) are excellent for inshore use as well. I use my LR 844 for a wide range of things, from snapper and small grouper to cobia.

The Pro Blue are excellent all-around light to med rods. The PBR 844 (15-30lbs) is a killer rod in a HORIZONTAL fight for 50-100lbs tarpon. I would not use it for med to large grouper or tuna. :eek:

There are rods in the Pelagic series that'll work for a lot of stuff -- from grouper and AJs, to tarpon and sailfish, tuna as well -- but they can be pricey for what you get and there are other rods that work better -- DEPENDING ON YOUR TECHNIQUE! ;) These rods are lighter than many -- though not as light as the jigging sticks from OTI, Smith, OR, ... that many folks here use.

Tom

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the peligic series are great,
    we do the 78-50 and 60 series
    guys use them for tuna, tile fish, they are very nice

7. JPW01

JPW01 Junior member

Thanks for all of your insightful responses. I appreciate your time and willingness to share. :) I need to find out how to get my hands on a few OTI rods, after reading the forums here for a over a year, I'm hooked.

8. i heard they were bought by shimano by a guy that is a rep for them

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

G Loomis does have its place in the fishing world. They make some great rods and have a great warranty. One of my favorite Loomis rods is an old IM6 I bought years ago. It's a great live bait tossing rod for Kingfish. Model # BB964. It's has a 12-25# rating with lures from 3-6 oz. The only problem is it's 8' in length and only one piece. That's nice, but can be really inconvenient when taking out of the rack to the boat.

You can also get by with some cheap rods on those kingsters. I found this little rod on the beach last Friday. It's only 24" long and will bend 180 degrees. I would bet the combo cost less than $15 at a grocery store. It's called a "Master". Both the rod and reel have "Master" on it. To prove a point, I put it to the test late in the day on Saturday. You don't need a Loomis or any other quality rod and reel, but it sure does make a difference.:eek:

Attached Files:

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Mr Bill u are too funny

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

LOL MrBill! Maybe try that "master" combo next on some blackfins! :p

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Gloomis rods are not popular among saltwater fishermen ?
    Are you kidding ? :) Gloomis rods have been one of the most popular rods for fluke, seabass, cod and even tuna jigging among our fishing communities.
    The problem is they don't make original Gloomis blanks anymore and recent Gloomis rods/blanks don't have original Gloomis' crispy and sharp characteristics.
    I heard Gary Loomis left GLoomis which is owned by Shimano and is planning to make rods again. I hope he introduces the original blanks again.

13. reggaeangler

reggaeangler Senior Member

14. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

the G Loomis Saltwater rods I have ever had, and felt- were very nice saltwater rods(pelagic series). I dont think the same MFG builds thier blanks now, though(5 years ago). Although I could be wrong.

15. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

this makes me want to go out there and buy that greenwater rod ive been sleeping on for 3 years!

16. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Most of my freshwater rods are G Loomis IMX n GLX but all of my popping rods are Carpenter . :D

Jon .

17. ono87

ono87 Senior Member

Hi,
    Way back in 2000 when the US rod builders had no idea what a heavy popping stick was, I had built a GLoomis Obsidian blank and a USA Graphite blank converted to GT Popping sticks. I still have them, they work but are a bit on the heavy side. Then I purchased my first Carpenter Black Current 75MH and found true enlightenment! I have contacted GLoomis on several occassions to built popping and Jigging sticks, but they are owned by shimano?! In Australia and SE Asia they cut down GLoomis Obsidian blanks and convert them to jigging rods.

Cheers

ED

18. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

Hi Ed ,

BC75MHS is such a delightfull to cast , very difficult to find one that can match it in PE 3~5 range , myself own one and won't part with it eventhough there a few friends who urge me to do so . I have subdued YFT to 25+ kg n GT to 12+ kg as well as 25+ kg sailfish with it , pairing it up with Z4500 .

Jon .

19. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

MBR782 and 783 GLX are two of my favorite fluke jigging rods. The old saltwater series was the bomb but they got rid ofit cause of breakingissues. Problem was they would catch so many big fish and break.

20. Nalu

Nalu Junior member

Just to clarify something that was posted above...

G Loomis still makes all of their blanks themselves in Woodland, WA. They are indeed part of Shimano, but everything having to do with their rods is done in house at the same facility that they have always been at.

Unfortunately they do not manufacturer some of the rods that are really sick for tuna. Their Pelagic series are beefy and fine, but the higher line weight Pro Blue rods are really where it would be at.

I happen to have a full set (6) of prototype Pro Blue PBR 72-50c rods which are a 50# class rod. They are absolutely amazing, but as of now they are not scheduled for production any time soon.