360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Why I do the 60 hr Dolphin trip

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Phantom Fisherman 
#1 ·
#10-The Pelican 48 hr trip doesn't go this time of year.

#9-I can sleep in my own bed, drive 8 blocks and get on the boat.

#8-As we come back and enter the jetties I call the wife and she comes out on the deck and waves as we pass the condo.

#7-She meets me at the dock and we load up the catch.

#6-I am home with my fish cleaned and iced by 8 o'clock.

#5-If I have a large catch I call some locals to help and I'm still home and doing happy hour by 8.

#4-I can take my tackle home, shower, and be back at the dock by the time the fish are unloaded and hung up.

#3-I don't have to travel somewhere and catch the same fish I can catch out of Port A.

#2-A 60 hr trip for me is just that, a 60 hr commitment. No more, no less!

#1-the real reason is my wife tells me to get out there and get some sushimi when we run out and I do as I'm told!

See less See more
#5 ·
Kev,

The reason the Dolphin does a 60-hr is because it takes it that much longer to get to the floaters and back. While it takes the Pelican 9-hrs to get to BoomVang and Nancen, it takes the Dolphin 14.

If you were going on the Big E, it would get to Boomvang after your second cup of coffee! But different strokes for different folks.

A couple of my very best trips were on the Dolphin!

Etan, if I get a chance I will come by to see the boat come in!

Tom - DBG

#7 ·
Etan, I think Dave Letterman would be proud of your TOP 10 reason to go on the dolphin. After reading your reasons, it makes sense you going on the trip.
Your reason #2 is going to be the tough one. Good luck.

#8 ·
You are right, the travel time is a pain! I pick my trips for good weather, usually don't sign up until the last minute after checking the weather and # of fishermen. This trip I signed on early because I knew when I'd be out of tuna. The Big E trips would be great but when I consider the logistics of travel,fish transportation etc. its just too much trouble. I know and have fished with most of the regulars that go and always enjoy them. I'll post a report when I get back.

#14 ·
Papio here, thought I would add my 2 pennies on this one.

All the boats are loud and if you're not wearing anything to lesson the noise than its a risk you choose to take on any boat, regardless.

The Dolphin and LaPesca are excellent boats to fish on and the skippers are the best.

A group of Master Jiggers from Hawaii is organizing a trip on the Dolphin in October. Capt Dean is the MAN!!!!

Jig till it hurts than jig so more.........

#17 ·
She was in Dry dock but I don't think there were any changes, just general maintenance. I watched them come back from a 40 hr yesterday. They had 3 large African Pompano, a large hammerhead, some nice AJ, 4 ling, 2 small wahoo, and lots of snapper and beeliners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.