Why fish wont attack!!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Iman, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Yesterday I went fishing and there were AJ and BFT everywhere. So I waited for the BFT to come near the srface and I casted the popper just infront of it. I popped and the tuna did not even notice the popper:mad: I used the Rappala popper In my taught they are very very ugly popper i will never use them again.
    than I casted with a strike pro minnow its like a big sardine. the BFT came behind her but It did not bite. my leader was 80lb fluorocarbon.Than I started to jig and I noticed the the AJ where coming near the jig and NO BITE Too so I did some faster movements but still no bite. My leader was 50lb FC which my friends use tocatch Aj and Dentex on it. Can any one tell me why I had no bite? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Sometimes fish just get "lockjaw"What time of day was it? There's always a slow period ,usually in the middle of the day,with the exception of around the minor and major solunar periods,which are around the slack High and low tides. I've found that if you are persistant they will turn on.

There are also other factors like ,if the fish have been pounded heavily.seeing lures buzz by their heads all day can slow them down.or if there is a rich food source and they have just gorged themselves.
    Sometimes something they haven't seen will provoke a strike. experiment and be persistant. they are fish, they will eat.

3. Iman

Iman Senior Member

well we fished from 5.30 am till 9.30 am.I think the problem was that other fisherman where using fresh bait ex mackarel. I dont Know but if you fish tuna with fresh fish what do you use?

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

If you can't get bit on 80lb, then you might have to drop to 60 or even 40. I have seen it day time chunking for yellowfin before.

5. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i'd say run the numbers.......... make sure you've eliminated everything that might be going against you

i think you were alright on your leader but change to sumpin smaller if you think that's it....... maybe you transfered a funky scent to your lures....... spray or dip'em in attractant........ or could be as-simple-as not matching the hatch..... they were feeding on sumpin else, or just maybe not-at-all

frustrating, i know

i've seen ling, AJ, and tuna nose around baits and refuse all sorts of the offerings and then all-of-a-sudden inhale the one they like..... usually a smelly baitfish or lure tipped with a piece o'squid

long way to go without being prepared to offer everything but the kitchen sink ;)

sometimes they're just finnicky and we get overconfident in our lures because of past success

also, if you were watching these fish, they were probably watching you too..... if you have a raw water washdown, spray it across the water as you cast or drop your jig......... they might think it's some baitfish action (been-there/done-that, it works)

6. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Hmm thank for the tips. Eastern tackle I think I was the one with the smallest LB of the leader cos every one was using 180mm Mono dobled like a rope ....
    next time I will try too feed the tuna with small fish when shes feeding Ill cast the popper behind the fish and popp it in the middle of the feeding fish hope it works xD

7. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Sometimes fish just don't bite.

Actually it sounds like you almost had a tuna with the strike pro minnow... did you try to stop reeling it, jerk it, reel faster?

8. Iman

Iman Senior Member

well i did not try to make differnet actions with it but new time I will. by the way if I use a sinking minnow and try to make an action of a hurted fish will it work?

9. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Try pausing the jig a bit that usually does the trick!

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

No matter what you try and how you try, you'll find it is very hard to fool them. When you have a hit, you can assume more than 10 fish look at your lure. We use lures, not because we catch more with them, but becasue we just love to use lures.
    It is frustrating, but it is challenging and it makes you think to match lures what they like. I just love it even I get skunked. :)

11. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Ye I lIke to use lures cos I get more satisfaction to catch a fish with it than with fresh fish. by the way im planning to get the OTI Tuna sniper 8' 6'' but I want to see some videos of this rod action. any one got some links for me? and about the action is it parabolic or tip only? I want the rod for 30+kg tuna will it handle them?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ye I lIke to use lures cos I get more satisfaction to catch a fish with it than with fresh fish. by the way im planning to get the OTI Tuna sniper 8' 6'' but I want to see some videos of this rod action. any one got some links for me? and about the action is it parabolic or tip only? I want the rod for 30+kg tuna will it handle them?
    Search bluefin popping reports and you'll see the actions of the rod with 150 - 180 lbs bluefin.
    All popping rods are exclusively fast action rods. 3:7 action is desirable for long popping rod.