Who said you need special technique for tuna jigging ?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I fished Jim's boat 'Get Real' out of Ocean City, MD yesteday.
    Mike of Peace Token and Jim's friend Van join the trip. As this trip was for jigging only, we didn't bring any bait.
    As you know Mike of Peace Token tackle is one of the premier tuna jig fishermen on the East Coast. He got 77" giant (260 - 270 lbs) on a jig two weeks ago. As MIke jigged with his normal East Coast up and down jigging style with his normal 8'6" long GLoomis rod, I tried to experiment Japanese style jigging with short conventional and spinning setups. Jigging were tough and Mike and myself didn't get any tuna though I had a hit when I experimented with two small assist hooks on a jig, bu it didn't stay long enough.
    The only tuna caught on a jig was when Van put his rod in the rod holder while resting. Who said tuna jigging requires special action of rod ?
    It was nice 55" bluefin. Van used Star Rod rated to 40 lbs and Shimano's Thunnus 16000F filled with 80 lbs braided line and 80 lbs mono learder line.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

thanks for the report kil
    thats the way jigging is sometimes
    how was the bait and fish marking down there?

deadsticking the jig has been going on for a long time

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

To answer your question......Shimano :D

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

haha, everyone puts in work and catches little, one guy puts it in a rod holder and gets a fish.

were there many boats?

5. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Same thing works with poppers sometimes I have seen with YFT out of Oregon Inlet. You cast out as far as you can and just let it sit. If you wait, 4 or 5 tuna would fight for it. Move it and no bite.

Other times they want it ripped 3' then stop and wait for 10 seconds, then rip again 3' and wait again.

6. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

another tactic that works is putting your rods in a rodholder and attaching your line to an outrigger and dropping your jig down and let the rocking of the boat create the jigging action while you sit back and drink your beverage of choice.....rick

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

another tactic that works is putting your rods in a rodholder and attaching your line to an outrigger and dropping your jig down and let the rocking of the boat create the jigging action while you sit back and drink your beverage of choice.....rick

have seen this done! :) natural rocking motion kinda like kind when u go out without bonine

8. ambermax

ambermax Member

I heard some report like that... and several other reports of tuna attack during the drop of jig...

a guy catch a 50lb swordfish, whwn he stop his jerk to help a friend for another fish...

from every event we can learn something...