Who makes a watertight tackle box?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Formula4Fish, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Hey Folks,

I was offshore yesterday in a center console boat. My tackle box is a plain jane box made by Plano, 9" tall X 9" deep x 20" wide, with one 9x20 tray that fits in it when open. It was snapped shut and sitting on the deck right in front of the console, when we took a particularly sloppy one over the bow. Besides filling my shoes with water, it turned over my tackle box and pretty well wet it down inside as well. Everything inside got a saltwater bath, including some pretty pricey tools, and I spent a good bit of the day today cleaning up the mess.

Can anyone out there recommend a watertight, durable, tackle box about this size? Emphasis on "watertight".

Thanks,

Dick

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

send a PM to ARGO, I know he has a water tight one, if the zipper is closed that is.

His bag is HUGE though.

I have an openwater 606 Wahoo bag that I personally love, although not watertight, it is very easy to rinse out...

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Heres a link to a tuff waterproff box company.
    They make many sizes.
    I've seen 30k worth of bore scope equipment (optics)
    blown off a oil platform Helo pad drop a 100 plus feet,
    float for an hour and returned dry and undamaged.
    Pelican 1550 watertight airtight shipping & carrying cases

Someone could make a tackle box from one I guess.

Kev

4. fonz

fonz Member

Offshore Angler Boat Bag

Ive been using these. Not totally water proof. But it keeps most water out, if zipped up. They have different sizes. I put my tackle trays and lure bags in it.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

On a center console boat, there is no such thing as a waterproof tackle box. Trust me, I've bought everything in the universe, and nothing, I mean nothing is waterproof in rough seas. Even if it placed in the driest possible compartment it will get water inside of it.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

If you rigged up a pelican to act as a tackle box, it should be dry. They are expensive.
    We use one to take high end filing equipment on the water. Never had one leak.

7. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

fished a tourney this past weekend, and got to mingle with some PROfishonale anglers... one tip was to go to walmart in the sandwich/plasticware section and use the containers designed for kitchen use.. they have seals, and when closed are water/air tight.... and a LOT cheaper than thier twins over in the fishing section.....

8. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Check out the Shimano Bristo Bay tackle bags. The big one is what I have and it will hold 5 large plano tackle boxes and the smaller Bristo Bay will hold 5smaller plano tackle boxes. Not only it is 100% water tight but it will float if you don't weight it down too much.

9. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Like Fishhead56 rec, Pelican cases are great but expensive. I don't use them as a tackle box, but I've been using them to transport my handguns and rifles for years with no problems. Very durable too.

Take a look at Albackore tackle products. They may have something you like.

Albackore Fishing Tackle Backpacks, Tackle Bags, Tackle Boxes

10. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Check out the Shimano Bristo Bay tackle bags. The big one is what I have and it will hold 5 large plano tackle boxes and the smaller Bristo Bay will hold 5smaller plano tackle boxes. Not only it is 100% water tight but it will float if you don't weight it down too much.

Dick, roys has these bags on Clearance, I have one, but use it as a cooler, not a tackle box...

11. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback Folks.

I'm thinking a Pelican case with Plano 3700 boxes might be my best answer.

Patrick, I'll check out the Bristol Bay bags at Roy's before I make up my mind. Thanks for the tip.