Which Saltiga?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Jason4606, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I've decided to replace a VERY lightly used JX 2-speed with a Saltiga. (wish I'd found this site before buying a lot of my stuff! ;) ) It will go back on the 5'11 Daiwa Deep Drop Rod for now as a medium action, jigging-only setup.

I'm using 65lb PowerPro on the JX with ~15-17lbs of drag in water typically 100-300' deep. I'm leaning toward OTI PE6 line, and would like to have ~300yds to work with.

Would you chose 30, 30T, 40 or 50? How much width difference is there in these?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. papio

papio Senior Member

The 30 would be closer match to the JX. The 30 is too small for me. I have 2 40s and loaded with 80lb.

3. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I have and like the 30T

4. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

It is all the reel you need for that rod. I got over 600 yds of braid 65 # on it and use it primarily for Tile fish in 300 feet of water. Good power for my 6 foot Okuma Cedros jigging stick.

5. Jason4606

Thanks much guys!! Now if I can just find a deal on one...

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Jeff at Anglers system treated me well and he has 10% off his saltigas. He posts on this board. Hard to beat his price with free shipping unless you can get free line somewhere. Here is the link Daiwa Saltiga SA30T or, for the 40 Daiwa Saltiga SA40

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have been considering this line of reels myself, as my disappointment with the Accurate Boss line grows and as I learn more from Kil and others about the advantages of thr star drag for jigging. I know I have seen Kil's posts on which size amd gearing he prefersn but cannot find any on this miserable Blackberry. :) I do know that, in the absence of a reliable 2-speed with a lever that can be moved easily, Kil's favorite is the Saltiga.

Scott, Kil, and others: What would be your opinion as to the best overall size and gearing for YFT jigging in the Gulf.

Russ

8. papio

papio Senior Member

Uncle R, I would go with 40 as 30 is too small and 50 a scosh big. And because my hero Kil uses it, hehehe.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Scott, Kil, and others: What would be your opinion as to the best overall size and gearing for YFT jigging in the Gulf.

Russ

I have only caught one YFT on a jig so I am no expert. I usually don't jig for YFT because I get tired of the blackfin tuna bycatch. Since you do not have to jig fast, a lower gear ratio such as the saltigas or trinidad 40 would be my choice. The saltigas are a very nice sized reel unless you have hands like Mr. Bill. The trini 40 is a taller reel so those with big hands will like the trini 40 a lot. Both the trini 40 and saltiga have double cog antireverses which is what you want. I watched Kil fish for YFT and I learned some from observation. I would use a longer rod with slower yo-yo style jigging. For this purpose, the saltiga would work great and that is why I have a saltiga 50.

10. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Uncle Russ - here's the specs on the SA50 and TN50 star drag reels.

Saltiga SA50 – 6BB, 1RB --- 4.9:1 --- 36.2” retrieve --- 25oz --- 30/350, 40/310, 50/220 --- Max Drag 22lbs

Trini 50 – 6BB, 1RB --- 4.9:1 --- 44” retrieve --- 30oz --- 40/490, 50/440 --- Max Drag 33lbs

My Trinidad 50 was just serviced and new drags added. You’re welcome to use it . Hell, I’ll do you a favor and trade you even up for any one of your worthless Accurate reels. :D :D

I no longer use my Trini 30 or 50 because I prefer 2 speed lever drags when jigging or bottom fishing.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Search harder and you can find it for 350 plus shipping. =)

12. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

The Daiwa Saltiga is a great product and to date we have not had a return only any series from the 20 thru 50. We've sold them to customers from NJ thru the Gulf Coast to to CA who plan to use them for trolling and bottom fishing. In my area they are a great King Mac. reel. If I can be of any help drop me an email or give a call.

13. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the saltigas are a very nice reel
    i have been using for a while both the 30T and 50 work great

14. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

The 30T will hold right at 270 meters of 80lb PE (Diawa Boat Braid.) I know because I spooled mine last night. I did leave a little extra room for the mono leader and there was probably about 30 meters left on the 300 meters spool I ordered.

15. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Have any of you tried the 15? Is it too narrow? I was thinking of getting a 15 to spool with PE3 and using for red snapper (the ones we catch are small).

Gary

16. Jason4606

The 30T will hold right at 270 meters of 80lb PE (Diawa Boat Braid.) I know because I spooled mine last night. I did leave a little extra room for the mono leader and there was probably about 30 meters left on the 300 meters spool I ordered.

That's good to know! I'll probably still go with 65 or very likely PE6 OTI. I wonder how much more I'll need? I can always fill, add a little mono backing then strip and refill. (what I did to get the JX just right) But I was originally thinking 300yds would be plenty!

Thanks,
    Jason

17. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

In Diawa boat braid - PE6 is 80lb.

In other words - PE6 is what I used.

18. leohan

leohan Junior member

I am using a 20 loaded with PE 4 Jigman line of 240 metres and have used the reel extensively for drifting and jigging. If I may say so, I think the saltiga are more powerful reel. Is looking at at a model of 40 as another addition to the family in the near future.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Attached Files:

20. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

if you guys remember, Mike of Peace Token tackle caught a 270lb bluefin last month on a Saltiga 50 :eek: ......it's a strong reel

Well put !!!