360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Being the broke college student that I am, I have to keep costs down when buying fishing equipment. I recently bought a Shimano Spheros 14000 and I am shopping for a rod to go with it. I will be using this setup for mostly BFT and Sharks. The reel is upgraded with the carbontex drag washers and it has a stella handle with the ARB bearing.

I narrowed it down between these two rods:

1. Penn Torque Jigging Rod. Spinning, 7'0", 20-50lb. $99.95

2. Fin-Nor Offshore Rod. Spinning, 7'0", 50lb.
$109.95

I am sure they are both fine, but I figured I would ask for some opinions.

I will be using 65lb Tuf Line XP braid. btw, anybody know how many yds of 65lb braid I can get on the spheros? If not enough I will have to go with the 50lb.

Thanks!

·
1,553 Posts
the reel should hold 300 yd of 65lb braid. with the type of fish your after, the fin nor might be the better option. the torque will be lighter but the fin nor rod will hold up better to the abuse of shark fishing, imo.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reel should hold 300 yd of 65lb braid. with the type of fish your after, the fin nor might be the better option. the torque will be lighter but the fin nor rod will hold up better to the abuse of shark fishing, imo.

Hey,

Thanks for the information. I think I am definitely going with the Fin-nor. I heard a few rumors about the Penn breaking.

·
1,386 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the information. I think I am definitely going with the Fin-nor. I heard a few rumors about the Penn breaking.

What is your major? And how big will the BFT be?

Sounds like you're thinking this through pretty well. I have a smaller Spheros for Stripers and Bluefish for my son. He likes it a lot.

A couple of points:
--The Spheros reels get used by charter Captains around here for BFT and they put it to pretty tough use. As the fish get bigger, and because it's a top-of-spool drag, one thing I've heard is that the drag washers can overheat and soften/melt the drag knob. (Maybe you should check it after you fight a big fish.)

--I like the 65# braid idea but am estimating you'll get another 75 yards of 50 on the spool if that matters to you.

--IMO once you've made these decisions, if you haven't already, you should make and test enough braid to leader knots until you are a master. There's no reason to lose fish and handicap them with a lure and 5 yards or so of leader for weeks/months. Assuming you're using 65# braid/65# leader, you should be set as your objective the ability to tie a Mid Knot and get a measured (scale or weights) breaking strength of 60 lbs (okay, at least 50# if you're not a perfectionist, but you can get to 60 or so).

--Ditto for the leader to lure knot. Try for 50# breaking strength or so. (consider leader to solid ring to split ring to lure). Because the split ring to solid ring has a lot of degrees of freedom, there is less stress on the leader knot. What leader knot will you use?

Best of luck with your college studies and the new gear.

·
406 Posts
I'm Right there with you on being broke... If you dont mind spending a little bit more you might want to check out the dragonfly rods by islanders custom tackle. Just shy of 200$ but there a little better JMO

·
1,448 Posts
with the 7' rod you can still toss lures. ive heard nothing but good things about the fin nor offshore rods (unlike the reels). i agree in that you should test you knots and practice regularly. besides you need something to do waiting for spring right?

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the excellent posts. With the winter here I am starting to brainstorm all the equipment I need for the upcoming season. This past July through September the BFT in Massachusetts bay (Stellwagen, Province town, etc.) the average schoolie sized tuna was 120-140lbs. There was also bigger fish in the mix as always. I have a few doubts in my mind that the Spheros might not do the job because the fish are going to be too big. I was recently talking to kilsong and he also predicted the fish to be heavier.

I have also been doing a lot of research lately on specific ways to fight BFT, and how you can turn a 45 min fight into 15 min. I will be making a thread later tomorrow with a bunch of tips and tricks provided by a member from the reel-time forums. Between my upgraded spheros, a rod that provides me with plenty of power, and knowing when to palm the spool I think I should fair pretty well with a 150-160lb BFT, who knows, maybe I will get spooled?? Maybe the fish next year are going to be so heavy and strong that basically all spinning setups besides Stella's and Accurate twin spin's are going to be obsolete.

I will definitely check out those dragonfly rods, sounds very promising for under $200. I am also starting to hear nothing but good things about the Fin-Nor offshore rods. The reason why I want a 7' rod is because I like casting sluggo's and lures to schools of blitzing tuna, it is just amazing casting smack dab middle of a blitz and getting your bait SLAMMED. I wanted to go with the 65lb braid this year because of the possible bigger fish. I know a bunch of guys who will use 80lb and even 100lb braid. The mid knot is an incredible knot, you can still cast with it and it doesn't get caught up in the guides like other knots do. I usually use 80lb fluoro for my leader.

We usually bring a variety of rods when we go for BFT. Usually a jigging combo, two casting combos, and 2 trolling combos. We use penn senators spooled with I believe 650 yards of 50lb mono just in case we get into bigger fish. I would love to buy a Shimano Tiagra 50lrsa and hook into a giant.

I'm also contemplating buying a Shimano Saragosa and using my Spheros as a back up. I guess it depends on how big the fish are next year. Anyways, I am a junior Public Health major and just landed a summer internship with Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals.

·
406 Posts
Do a search for them here on 360 they have been talked about quite a few times. you should be able to find some good info about them and how they preformed on trips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts