Which rod for Dedicated Outfits?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Uncle Russ, May 29, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

OK. Uncle Russ's quest for wisdom from his younger buddies never ceases. :) I have kinda-sorta asked a couple of folks this question in PM s but have never communicated correctly the question I m trying to ask—so here goes, and your opinions would be appreciated:

I am going to take two “heavy” rigs on the Big E—one an ATD 50W spooled with about 1,000 yards of JB 130, and the other, an ATD 12 spooled with about 400 yards of the same stuff. The primary, if not dedicated purpose, of the 50W will be for deep drop for AJ and Grouper. The primary usage of the smaller reel will be for chunking.

Now then, I have four rods which are suitable for use with these two reels—(1) A Calstar 760H roller rod (rated for up to 130 but really an 80 class rod, (2) a Braid PP 80 pound 5 ½ foot, (3) a 6 ½ foot Calstar 7465H rail rod—brutally strong, but almost certain to put an old man in the hospital, and (4) A Calstar 700H conventional rod.

So here is the question: First, which of those four rods would you pair up with the 50W for a dedicated deep-drop outfit, and which would you pair up with the ATD 12 for a dedicated chunking/live bait/kite outfit?

As they used to say on Hee-Haw, “Thank you for your support.”

Russ

2. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Russ, give us your list of all Big E setups for the upcoming trip...

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

1. Deep Drop: ATD 50W/???? rod/130 pound
    2. Chunking/Live Bait: ATD 12/???? rod/130 pound
    3. Jigging: 665W 2 speed/OTI-600 gm
    4. Tuna Cast:

4. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

9ft cast? TSpin 30? i would like to see a thread on this as we get closer..

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Sorry, I submitted the post too early and kluged it up: Here is the whole enchilada:

1. Deep Drop: ATD 50W/????? rod/130 pound JB Hollow
    2. Chunking: ATD 12/????? Rod/130 pound JB Hollow
    3. Jigging: 665W 2 spd/OTI-600 gm/YKG Jigman PE6
    4. Popping: SR20/Smith 80P/35/Varivas Super GT Max 90 pound
    Spare Spool: YKG Jigman PE5
    5. Light casting: SR12/OTI-300 gm/50 pound JB solid
    Spare Spool: YKG Jigman PE4
    6. Making Bait SR30/Calstar 700XH/130 pound JB Hollow
    Spare Spool: YKG Jigman PE8

Now I know what you are thinking, Lexpro. You are sitting back and laughing that I am a complete idiot for spooling the 700XH with 130 and 105 pound line. Actually, the rod is not really just intended as the world’s worst overkill for a sabiki rig on steroids. Assuming I have any success with the two “heavy” rigs, I am going to use that Big Dog for everything, including bottom fishing, chunking, and maybe the occasional finger amputation. :)

I have also thought about bringing along the Stellas hooked up to the Nirai jigging rod and the Souls 90HHS. But that takes up a lot of rodholders, and then I might actually have to share a rig with one of my worthless friends here at work who have been trying unsuccessfully to photoshop a picture of me pulling on a rod hooked up the bottom of my garage door.

(Actually, if anybody is anxious to play with any of that, I'll bring it as well, as long as noone *****es me out for taking up too much space.)

Russ

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i would use the 760 for deep
    and the PP for chunk/kite

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

when i go on the 52 hour trip, i'll probably bring

- 1 chunking
    - 2 jigging
    - 1 casting
    - 1 bait (can also cast this as a conventional)

i doubt i'll even use them all.

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Man, UR, you have a lot of stuff!! I have to hit the tackle store to compete. Shoot, take all of them, that's why you have them. Hire some hot babe to carry them for you and to please my eyes. Now that would make loading the Big E so much more enjoyable! :D If DBG saw such a scene, he would forget to get on the boat. :D

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

760H for the ATD 12

7465H for the 50wide! Be ready to use the rail with that one! And don't forget the safety harness and inflatable life vest.

Tom - DBG

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. DBG and Paul: What are your reasons for recommending the 760H usage as you do?

Bret: I agree. On my first two trips, I figured I would never take more than the four I had. I just want to try the stuff out.

Bellyups: When you get to be Uncle Russ's age, you only have the energy to concentrate on "hot babes" or to fish--not both--and I find that the older I get, the more energy I spend fishing.

Russ

11. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

If I'd seen this post a month ago I'd have sent you one of my 760M's which would match up nicely with the ATD 12. Alas, both my 760M's went to new homes...:(

12. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

The 7465 is a stick, stiffer than the 760... and you'll need it for AJ or Big Grouper, and will work great on the rail. If you really get bent and stuck on a big fish, that longer rod might help you get around a corner of the boat.

The 760H is probably just a little stiff for chunking, live baiting, etc. for medium sized tuna, but it'll do great if you hook a big one. But the 700H is probably way too light, and long, for the ATD12 and 130lb line and would best be used for casting. I'm not especially familiar with the Braid rod, although I've seen them in pictures, so not much help with that one.

I think you'll have a good time fishing with those setups in any case.

Tom - DBG

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

hatidua: That would be all I'd need--another rod. :)

DBG: Moi, casting with a conventional? That's something akin to Jimmy Durante swimming nude in public--you ain't gonna see it. :eek:

Russ

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

when i go on the 52 hour trip, i'll probably bring

- 1 chunking
    - 2 jigging
    - 1 casting
    - 1 bait (can also cast this as a conventional)

i doubt i'll even use them all.

same here, I thought about bring an extra casting and drop rig but I think Ill be okay.

15. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Depends on how heavy of a leader are you going to fish on the ATD12. MY suggestion would be the 12 w/ the 760h and the 50w w/ the 7465H.

You really need to just nut up and buy a 50-80# stick for the ATD12 :). There still may be some of the Accurate branded Calstar 760M floating around...

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i like the shorter PP type rods for chunking/kite
    and the 7465 rail rod is just, "not fun":D
    so that leaves the 760 for deep drop

17. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Paul or UR,

How much drag will the 760 calstar pull?

cause i'm like 90% sure glenn put that braidd pp at 60 and like a "hooker on a saturday night" (thanks for the pun) took the abuse and didnt complain :D :p O and paul i would think the braid rod would be a decent rail rod seeing as it has that elongated foregrip that goes past the first roller or am i wrong ?

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Russ, how deep are you willing to drop? 400 yards will get to the bottom in most daytime spots, unless its in case you lose alot of line you can still use the other half? Is that why you want the 50 as well instead of using just the 12 for both purposes?

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, Paul and Kevin. The opinion of pros like ya'll is especially helpful.

newkid: I don't know how much the 760 will take, but it's a helluva lot more than I will be able to use. I've pulled about 45 on it. As for the Braid, I think what Glenn has said was that the rod is supposed to be capable of 60 plus--I have no doubt the 7465 is as well.

LEXPRO--I was just thinking it would be nice not to have to switch back and forth between a snap swivel and bottom rigs and a windon--but then again, there will be plenty of time on the way back in to make the switch. The furthest I ever dropped down was close to 400 feet and something really big took me into the rig and the deckhands had to break off about 100 yards of line for me. But you are right--that wouldn't be a killer even on the smaller capacity ATD12.

And boy, is that reel lighter.

Russ