Which Reel?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rebel, Feb 8, 2009.

1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

I need a long casting, heavy duty spinning reel mainly for catching Gts, Tuna, Cobia & KingFish. Nothing more than 100 LBS fish. My budget is around $300/-What options do I have?

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

shimano Saragosa 18K is a good solid choice for that price range, although you can find them occasionaly online for less. Also, I would check to see if the one you get has the upgraded drag cap, and do the carbontex drag upgrade as well. I have a pair of these reels and they have served me well. Largest fish to date on them is an 80# YFT, I have yet to hook up with a 100# + fish in popper! Although I hope to change that this season!

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

for that size of fish, (cobia and kingfish)a sustain 8000 will do fine and be light and comfortable. tuna i'd go with the saragosa in that price range.

5. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Ok, I'll be more specific, King Fish between 15-30 LBS Cobia 55-100 LBS GT & Tuna 60-100 LBS. I've been using my friend's Accurate 20 spinning with 50 lbs braided line, Its ok for King fish & barracudas, but I dont think it can handle bigger than that.

for that size of fish, (cobia and kingfish)a sustain 8000 will do fine and be light and comfortable. tuna i'd go with the saragosa in that price range.

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

accurate 20 will deliver. tuna under 100 will be no problem. i will be using a sr12 for tuna less than 100, just for fun and to see what it can really do.

7. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

the accurate is no where near his price point and the 20 will handle tuna over 100lbs and probably anything under 200lbs as long as you can chase the fish and have a rod with enough backbone to use all the drag that's available on the twinspin 20........rick

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Like Rick alluded to re: the Accurate 20... In that price range, needing extra line capacity on a stationary boat would point to Saragosa 18000. But if it has the capacity you need, the 8000FE Sustain is a better reel IMO.

Also, MSRP looks too high, but you might want to wait to see street price on new Twinspin SW. They have a 12000 that looks interesting. Haven't heard when/if they will be offered the new models in Sustain badging.

9. jig

jig Senior Member

Spheros 14000FA with upgraded drags. You can still get them on ebay for $140. Anyone used the new 14000FB or 18000FB? I haven't seen much about them.

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

jig: I have caught a boat load of good sized fish on a Spheros 14000. It will handle it no problem.

11. jig

jig Senior Member

Spineyman, I have too, on the old version. I love it. Are you using the old (FA) or new model (FB)? It's the new version I am wondering about, just out of curiosity. No plans to trade out my 14000FA. No way, no how.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have the old version also.

13. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I have been very pleased with the Cabo PT 80.