Which Popper?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by sharpshooter, Feb 20, 2009.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Senior Member

I picked up my first popping rig. An Oti 7'6" 60-80 w a Spheros 1400fa (carbontex) and #65 braid. now i need poppers. i will be fishing texas gulf from charter boats and targeting tuna up to 150lbs. the local tackle shop i support carries Tuna hunters, TH jrs, and Braid tantrum poppers, but i am considering OTI poppers as well. Which brands/models/weights should i get? will a 3oz popper cast well from a #80 rod? will these poppers be ready to fish, or do i need to change hardware? i would rather buy all one style in several colors, but should i just buy a couple of each? thanks for the help guys!

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

To me, FWIW, if you're going to have one topwater lure, it should be an OTI Goanna Cruiser. I don't think there's any better lure for big tuna than a loud pencil popper.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

OTI poppers come with great hardware and great price for what you get.
    a 3 oz or 85 gram popper/swimbait can be slung with with the rod as I did it with OTI 80# rod. It will just take a little more effort as the rod is stiffer.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

you can cast a tuna hunter a mile with an oti 80lb rod. the 3 ozers of course will be less distance. oti have the best value good hardware and owner st66 hooks. with the tuna hunters i would change the hooks out. my fav colors are the darker ones. the river to sea dumbell poppers are very nice. also have good components. good weight and nice finish. havent used them yet but pretty confident in the lure. also a very good price.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am a big fan of the OTI komodo, Big loud splash and you can add a little action to it if wanted

d-a

6. sharpshooter

thanks for the replies. should i get all one brand and size, or do i need a variety. i was under the impression that when a bite is on, it really doesnt matter. i also read somewhere that "bigger is better" is NOT true for big tuna.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

I don't know about bigger doesn't work. Sami was casting about a 16" long popper in Panama and killing them. I would change it up and get several different companies they all act slightly different and then find one that you like

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Danny,
    I've seen a couple of occasions when the smaller popper was more effective.

9. sharpshooter

im trying to avoid what happened when i started jigging. i purchased a bunch of diferent brands/sizes/styles and formed a strong preferance for certain ones. now i got all these other jigs i dont take anywhere and probably wont ever use. it annoys me that ive got 100's of dollars tied up in jigs i dont like.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Everyday is different. That is why there are so many poppers with different styles, different sizes and different colors. :)

11. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

im trying to avoid what happened when i started jigging. i purchased a bunch of diferent brands/sizes/styles and formed a strong preferance for certain ones. now i got all these other jigs i dont take anywhere and probably wont ever use. it annoys me that ive got 100's of dollars tied up in jigs i dont like.

Sell the jigs you dont like and buy some poppers.

Dont forget about swim baits.

12. jig

jig Senior Member

Danny,
    I've seen a couple of occasions when the smaller popper was more effective.

Agree 100%. I think having at least two different sizes is more important that variety of styles and colors. You can get your basic bare minimum, and then start looking for sales and buy when you can, not when you have to.

Forget the swimbaits. Those things never work.;)

13. sharpshooter

i went to Roys today and picked up a variety. 2 large R2S dumbells, a tuna hunter Jr, a few Braid tantrum poppers, a Yozuri flying fish and a pack of swimbaits. that should be enough for my first trip. i hope. i can jig or chunk if i lose that many. would have liked to pu some oti's, but roys hasnt got any. its easier to hide from my wife if i use cash :) .thanks for all the advice.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Agree 100%. I think having at least two different sizes is more important that variety of styles and colors. You can get your basic bare minimum, and then start looking for sales and buy when you can, not when you have to.

Forget the swimbaits. Those things never work.;)

are you kidding? I throw subsurface lures first always

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You may not like them but fish may =)

16. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

"would have liked to pu some oti's, but roys hasnt got any. its easier to hide from my wife if i use cash"

That's understood, Men used to call that "Hip stash" or "mad money"
    But don't be fooled, the women also keep a little egg money!

Even some of the bigest Tackle Ho's and Boat owners, Gun and lease holders
    prefer to keep sporting expenses out side of the general hosehold biz.

Other wise this causes recipcoating exspenses....

With that being said,

The Frenzy popper seems well built and maybe a local choice if you can not get OTI lures.

Just sayin
    Kev

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I've seen frenzy poppers break on first fish up to 50lb. Not to bash but they seem to work fairly well but unsure of quality as I witnessed it 2 or 3 times.

18. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

The big ones and the little ones work.

[​IMG]

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I've seen bass pro popper kill many tuna and hold up with better hardware. Also small yozuri work for big tuna with upgraded hardware. I gave txcards upgraded hardware for one yozuri he had as I said his hardware is too small. He happen to land a big tuna almost 100lb on that exact popper with the split ring/hooks I gave him.

20. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Wow,
    They apeared well built.
    I have not destoryed any in my collection of un fished lures.
    thanks
    Kev