Which OTI jigs and poppers for Big E trips?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Drifter, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I'm on two 52 hr trips on the Big E this year and hope to schedule a third. I'd like to purchase a bunch of OTI Jigs and Poppers but could use some help on the style and colors. Target is YFT w/ poppers, and jigs for everything else on the Big E trip.

What are the best colors and weights for OTI's:

Jumbo Jigs

Jager Jigs

Goanna Cruisers

Komodo Poppers

Wombay Poppers

I have Yozuri Surface GT's and Surface Cruisers in purple/black, and Williamson jigs in assorted colors from 5oz - 14 oz.

Would appreciate any assistance. Thx!

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I would recommend a couple of each of the jigs..in different weights.. heavy for strong current and lighter ones if there is no current.. I have had good success with the jager in 400 gram.. Now poppers is your choice.. I havent thrown any to boiling tuna, but we have had some sailfish on with the cruiser and had one take a swat at the wombat.. I really dont think color matters as much as the action of the jig or popper.. I try to pick colors that look like the baits that would be in that location. I am sure some others will chime in on specific colors and styles..

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

4. tattoo

tattoo Guest

The willaimson and shamono (butter fly) jigs 7-8oz glow in the dark work real good. I have even had good luck with the glow in the dark 8oz diamond jigs. Have yourself a good selection of differnt jigs and differnt weights. As for the poppers tuna hunter, yummums flying fish in blue and red colors

5. ALW

ALW Senior Member

We will try some OTI jigs and poppers next week on the BigE. Will find out how they compare with R2S jigs and Tuna Hunters. Didn't get a big selection though.

Al

6. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

TJ,
    Making my list and will give you a call tomorrow. I'm also looking for a jigging rod for an Accurate 665. Plan to use 8 - 16 OZ butterfly style and chrome jigs with this setup. Any suggestions?

My thanks to all for the suggestions - appreciate it!

Thanks!

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Drifter,

OTI 600gram rod will be a perfect match for that reel, but it won't be available until the end of May.
    if you are in hurry to get a rod for your reel, try Hopper rod or Sea magic rod.

8. TOO

TOO Senior member

Just an IMHO, but you'll not go wrong with the Laser Blue or Purple colors on the Komodo topwaters. Solid color schemes there.
    I'd personally start with the purple if I had those two colors. The Green Hawk looks like it would be a good color as well.
    Again, just an IMHO.

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

That Green Hawk is smoking.....

I has been good to me :)