Which one?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by barbwire, Jul 17, 2009.

1. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a reel for a 100# rod (Seeker) and cant make up my mind between an Avet Pro EX 30 or the 50 size topless SDS. My intention is to use this standup for bottom fishing and maybe occasionally something else,but primarily a bottom rig. My decision is being muddled up on line capacity. Would the 30 size have enough capacity when spooled with 100# spectra? Is the bigger 50 size going to be more better?:D Anyone have opinions about which side of the fence I should be on? Thanks!

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

The 30 should have more than enough line cap. You'll prob save a few bucks over the SDS as well. However if you ever want it to pull double duty and ever think about long range fishin in CA you might as well go with the SDS which is my favorite big game reel

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

30 is as big as you want to go. I had a 50, and then sold it- then that guy sold it as well. its a GREAT reel for monsters- but just a little too much for our gulf of mexico. (just my humble opinion)

4. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

30 is as big as you want to go. I had a 50, and then sold it- then that guy sold it as well. its a GREAT reel for monsters- but just a little too much for our gulf of mexico. (just my humble opinion)
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. A bit much for the GOM.:D My only issue was line capacity and am really wanting to go with the smaller reel. Long range out of Cali. is on the menu, but it's still a couple of years out.

5. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

One more thing. Wide or standard? Only 2oz. differance in weight.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

The 50 SDS is a bettr choice if you want BIG fish, those big gears make a difference.

PS: Use 130 JB hollow and loop to loop.

7. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

The 50 SDS is a bettr choice if you want BIG fish, those big gears make a difference.

PS: Use 130 JB hollow and loop to loop.
    Oh I want big fish of coarse!:D I really had myself talked into a 50 SDS,but was unsure if it was going to be overkill so the idea of a smaller reel was hatched. I want to be ready for whatever I may hook into and that was another reason for thinking 50 SDS What are the chances realisticly of needing it on every outing? Other than large sharks and billfish why would one need the larger reel? Will a EX 30 be adequate for grouper and others.

8. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I would perfer the 50SDS over the 30W. Yes it's a little heavier (14 oz), cost a few more buck but it will have less wobble, more usable drag, about 15% more line capacity and will handle just about anything you're going to tangle with in the GOM or else where.

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

My Tiagra 30 LRSw at full drag was hard pressed to slow do a couple of amberjack and at least one fish that pulled the hook (that UFO had me spooled).

10. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

New reels at Icast - I would consider some the new sweet reels debuted at Icast I'll post pics in the AM Some super goodness coming from Italy

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

New reels at Icast - I would consider some the new sweet reels debuted at Icast I'll post pics in the AM Some super goodness coming from Italy

New is nice, but proven designs work. :)

12. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

:D I will be getting the 50 SDS! Jerry you convinced me.:D Thanks everyone for your input.I have been wanting one of these for quite some time now so I'm just probably not going to be satisfied with anything less. If it turns out that I'm skipping fish across the top of the water like a popper then so be it.:D

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

It's a very good choice.

14. SkeeterRonnie

Make sure you have a good belt and harness, as you can really put some heat(drag) on that SDS 50! Good luck and dont get pulled in :) hehe

15. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Make sure you have a good belt and harness, as you can really put some heat(drag) on that SDS 50! Good luck and dont get pulled in :) hehe
    I do have a couple of nice belts so I can get strapped to my rig. I don't fish a lot of drag initially but do turn up the heat if needed.:D I was going to order my reel this morning but may have made a mistake by looking at those damn Accurates! Those are super light weight and for about $60 more than a SDS filled with Spectra I can get an Accurate with line. Dang it, why why why did I have to look at them. Anybody have a BX2-50? Are they worth the extra $$$$$ ?:eek:

16. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Am I seeing those drag specs. right that it has 30# of built in drag? Will they go lower or is this where it starts?

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Anybody have a BX2-50? Are they worth the extra $$$$$ ?:eek:

Yes.

18. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Great! Mr. Bill could you elaborate a little?

19. jig

jig Senior Member

If you haven't made your choice yet, I just went thru exact same choice. I ended up going with the regular 30 because:

1. I have given up on wide reels, as the wobble is just too much. The 30W would be a compromise between 50 and 30, and I don't want to compromise.
    2. For bottom fishing, I do not need more than 400yds of line in GOM. Sure you can fish deeper, but I am not going to without an electric reel.
    3. I want to fish 130JB hollow on this reel for value, quality and splicing. the 30 should hold 400yds of 130#.
    4.The weight difference is significant, and I wanted to go with the lightest reel.
    5. I like the smallest size reel that will do the job well. I am not a big guy, and the 30 was just more comfortable for me. I can palm the side plate comfortably. The 50 was too large.
    6. The 30 had drag capacity that was very suitable for me.
    7. The long range san diago opportunity was an issue for me, but it has been for 10 years now and I haven't gone yet. If I do, at that time I can rent a reel or use one the boat provides. Or buy a reel for that when the time comes. I decided not to let the possibility of Sand Diego influence my decision on the reel purchase for GOM bottom fishing (which I do many times a year).

And last but not least, if you get the 30 and it does not do the job (unlikely) you can move up to the 50, BUT if you get the 50 (which will get the job done also undoubtably), you will never know if 30 would have worked for you.

Of course, if you are a big ol' boy and the size/weight issues are not issues, the 50 is a great choice. Or, if you need the line capacity greater than 400yds of 130# (i.e. you want to fish 500yds, or 150-200# spectra, or 80# mono), get the 50. But I would definately get the 50 over the 30W for line capacity issues; the wobble is that big a deal to me. Its much more effort to reel in a 30w vs handle a 50 reel's weight and size, IMO.

So, I decided on the 30 and got it used hear (on 360tuna) for a very reasonable price ($325, with spectra). Very happy with it so far, although the biggest fish to date was a 40# ling (which was a joke; i just reeled it in like a perch, gaff man was not happy LOL!).

And don't ever forget, if you buy used, and maintain your equimpent, you should be able to get most if not all of your money out of it when you re-sell it should you want to try something else.

Oh, BTW, the accurates would be my first choice, but were more than twice the price. I just could not justify it.

20. SkeeterRonnie

bottom fishing- i want the most drag when the fish first gets hoooked- to keep them out of the slop down there. i had an old penn 114hlw and took pliers and hammered the drag as tight as I could get it and it still wasnt tight enough for a fish I thought was gonna break a rod in half :) the deckhand stood there laughing and said "hang on to it" ;) LOL!!