Which one of these reels?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rebel, May 16, 2009.

Which spinning reel?

1. ABU GARCIA SORON STX 70

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. QUANTUM CABO PT 60

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. OKUMA V-65 SA VSYSTEM

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

I need a budget spinning reel mainly (long castings) to catch 10-35 lbs tuna, kings, barracuda & cobia.

Long casting is very important to me. So what do you recommend guys?

Thanx.

2. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Rebel,

I didn't vote for any of the reels you listed but I would like to give you another option.

IMO casting distance has more to do with the technique of the angelr rather than which make and model of reel you are using.

With that said, I would recommend that you look at the Shimano SpherosFB series ($100 to $180). It's a good all around budget reel; add some carbontex drag washers (about $11) and you will have a great all around budget reel.

For what you are after I would say that the 8000 size would suit you just fine.

A Spheros 14000FB landed This Monster.

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

What's the budget? What size line and capacity do you want?

With tiny braid like Daiwa Surf any reel will cast a mile. For a lightweight setup for heavy inshore / light offshore casting, a 5000FI Stradic loaded with PE3 would be pretty tough to beat for the $$.

4. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Lets say 250 yards of PE 5, my budget is 200 USD max.

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

stradic 8000fi. it will handle any of the fish on that list with ease. also has the new spool style for casting, plus its a high speed reel. mine has 240 yards of pe5 on both spools. i voted for the cabo 60 but i would rather have the stradic for topwater or casting. the cabo has a lower gear ratio which i would prefer when jigging.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

would there be any servicing issues with any of the reels you (and others) have mentioned? sometimes a reel may be great, but if/when you break it or it needs service it can be a pain (see: Shimano JDM models)

7. rebel

rebel Senior Member

would there be any servicing issues with any of the reels you (and others) have mentioned? sometimes a reel may be great, but if/when you break it or it needs service it can be a pain (see: Shimano JDM models)

Well, minor or self servicing could be handled. other than that, the reel goes to garbage if it has a bigger issue. there is no reel servicing or fixing in this part of the world!! so a heavy duty reel is a privilege.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Well, minor or self servicing could be handled. other than that, the reel goes to garbage if it has a bigger issue. there is no reel servicing or fixing in this part of the world!! so a heavy duty reel is a privilege.

If that were the case, I would save up and invest in a heavy duty reel with a solid proven record of prolonged usage with minimal self-servicing... my two cents...

9. rebel

rebel Senior Member

The reason why I'm choosing 1 of the above reels is bcoz im getting 35-40% discount off MSRP:

Cabo 60 = $120
    Okuma 65= $120
    Soron 70 = $100

10. rebel

rebel Senior Member

or should I get all of them !!!!

11. sabikislinger

sabikislinger Guest

Get the Cabo. You'll love it. Stay far away from anything that says Okuma on it. That Cabo 60 is nice, but that Cabo 80 is one sweet reel and extremely versatile. Ceramic drag won't get as hot as others and it never skips a beat...

12. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

From the reels that friends have owned and your application, I would suggest the Cabo 60 over the Cabo 80 due to the extent of problems I have heard with the 80. The 60 seems to be a better built reel for its size.

13. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

The reason why I'm choosing 1 of the above reels is bcoz im getting 35-40% discount off MSRP:

Cabo 60 = $120
    Okuma 65= $120
    Soron 70 = $100

I will give you my direct help.

I have used all three reels. Cabo exclusively, okuma for 3-4 trips and Soron for about 10 trips.

Hands down the power goes to the new Soron.
    Drag goes to the Soron
    Rigidness goes to the Cabo
    Smoothness "not on fish" goes to the Okuma
    Smoothness while "fighting fish" goes to the Soron.

Pricewise the Soron wins the cup. I have the 70 and battled a slammer blue this weekend (10+)lbs. with ease.

Should be fine for inshore jigging. For casting the reel would suffice as long as you have the technique down as others have mentioned.

I loaded mine up with 65# braid for drops around 130ft to 170ft and there is obviously no concern with lack of line while fighting tuna up to 65lbs. I would consider a more mainstream reel if you target 80lb tuna and above.

The Soron is the newest of the bunch but the company behind it has been around the longest.

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

one other thing about the soron is that i've raised its duties from backbay surf reel to dorado slayer. I'll let the reel get a beating and report any misuse and misfortune that comes to be throughout the summer season.

I dont expect this reel to under-perform. It has already in my eyes "out/over-performed" and is beyond its task from what it was originally purchased for.

:D good luck. remember, its whichever reel you like out of the three that will be the difference maker. If you dont "like" the reel and purchase it you will never use it no matter what you think.

15. rebel

rebel Senior Member

one other thing about the soron is that i've raised its duties from backbay surf reel to dorado slayer. I'll let the reel get a beating and report any misuse and misfortune that comes to be throughout the summer season.

I dont expect this reel to under-perform. It has already in my eyes "out/over-performed" and is beyond its task from what it was originally purchased for.

:D good luck. remember, its whichever reel you like out of the three that will be the difference maker. If you dont "like" the reel and purchase it you will never use it no matter what you think.

Thanx a lot for the feedback. I ordered the Soron 70 & Cabo 60 for my self (both for $200) & Okuma 65 high speed for a friend ($120). I'll let you know how they perform once I catch some decent size fish.