which line would be best for AJs?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by redboat, Apr 16, 2009.

1. redboat

redboat Junior member

I fish out of West Palm Beach and had been having luck with decent ajs (30-50#s) on 50# line (suffix) on a Saragosa 8000 but recently not so much. They seem to of grown a little and its been tough to keep them out of the wrecks. I'm looking to upgrade my gear to a Stella 20K and an OTI 600G rod and was trying to decide which line size to go with. Sounds like Diawa Boat Braid is the best value/quality but don't know whether to go with PE-6 or PE-8. Also what size mono leader would you guys recommend for fish around wrecks for AJs.

Thanks
    Paul

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I personally like Jerry Brown solid braid and I use 100# upto 150# mono leader for big ajs.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

diawa boat braid PE8 is what I use especially around wrecks

4. redboat

redboat Junior member

thanks for the advice.

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

PE8 Boat Braid -or- 80lb OTI. I think 20k held exactly 300yds of 80lb OTI and I really like it.

I also have 100lb JB solid on a 20K and it seems like really nice line. But do I like the depth markers... especially when not dropping to the bottom and speed jigging are involved.

I like the feel of Varivas leader that I got a little while ago... But I'd probably stay away from softer leaders and stick with something like 130lb Momoi Diamond. (pretty cheap and super tough)

6. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Ive had issues with momoi and jinkai leaders. After one fish i had to replace them. IT would get stretched out and break.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

PE8 Boat Braid -or- 80lb OTI. I think 20k held exactly 300yds of 80lb OTI and I really like it.

i got 360yds on the 20k....it is spooled TIGHT ;)

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I got 350 yards of daiwa bb PE-8 on the 20000 spooled not so tight :cool: