360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish out of West Palm Beach and had been having luck with decent ajs (30-50#s) on 50# line (suffix) on a Saragosa 8000 but recently not so much. They seem to of grown a little and its been tough to keep them out of the wrecks. I'm looking to upgrade my gear to a Stella 20K and an OTI 600G rod and was trying to decide which line size to go with. Sounds like Diawa Boat Braid is the best value/quality but don't know whether to go with PE-6 or PE-8. Also what size mono leader would you guys recommend for fish around wrecks for AJs.

Thanks
Paul

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
PE8 Boat Braid -or- 80lb OTI. I think 20k held exactly 300yds of 80lb OTI and I really like it.

I also have 100lb JB solid on a 20K and it seems like really nice line. But do I like the depth markers... especially when not dropping to the bottom and speed jigging are involved.

I like the feel of Varivas leader that I got a little while ago... But I'd probably stay away from softer leaders and stick with something like 130lb Momoi Diamond. (pretty cheap and super tough)

·
1,541 Posts
Ive had issues with momoi and jinkai leaders. After one fish i had to replace them. IT would get stretched out and break.

G

·
PE8 Boat Braid -or- 80lb OTI. I think 20k held exactly 300yds of 80lb OTI and I really like it.

i got 360yds on the 20k....it is spooled TIGHT ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts