Which jetties around Freeport for sheepshead ?

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by ksong, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

This forum is pretty quiet. I happen to love to catch sheepshead.
    Where is the best jetties to catch sheepshead from Galveston to Port Aransas and when is the best time to catch them ?
    When I have tuna trip in Texas, I'd like to spend one day to catch sheepshead at jetties.

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

my favorite Sheepshead spot is the Fina Docks in Port-A, you'll need a boat, but if you give me a few days heads up, I'll borrow a friends 20ft skiff and sheepshead fish all day if you'de like.

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Kil,
    You also mentioned you like flounder fishing..
    Although this run just past it was a good year around Galveston.

Freeport Jetties you can walk out on and have Sheephead Jan to March
    Same for Galveston but boat is needed for those.

No matter, Pm me a few days in advance and I'll do my best to get you with
    my good friend, a very experienced bay and jetty guy.

Last year your name came up as we were night fishing the bay area and talking Tuna and Flounder..and the whole basic desire to fish salt where ever
    when ever.

He travels some but not a much as me.

Let me know.
    Kevn

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

my favorite Sheepshead spot is the Fina Docks in Port-A, you'll need a boat, but if you give me a few days heads up, I'll borrow a friends 20ft skiff and sheepshead fish all day if you'de like.
    Thanks for the offer. If I fish out of Port Aransas, I'll contact you.
    In fact, there was an article of great snook fishing around Lower Laguna Madre area in 2007 Sport Fishing Mag.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,
    You also mentioned you like flounder fishing..
    Although this run just past it was a good year around Galveston.

Freeport Jetties you can walk out on and have Sheephead Jan to March
    Same for Galveston but boat is needed for those.

No matter, Pm me a few days in advance and I'll do my best to get you with
    my good friend, a very experienced bay and jetty guy.

Last year your name came up as we were night fishing the bay area and talking Tuna and Flounder..and the whole basic desire to fish salt where ever
    when ever.

He travels some but not a much as me.

Let me know.
    Kevn

Hi Keven,
    I am pretty known as flounder ( fluke) fisherman here. :) My Kil-A-Rig for fluke is gaining popularity. :) I love to catch flounder in Texas whenever I have a chance to fish them.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Hi Keven,
    I am pretty known as flounder ( fluke) fisherman here. :) My Kil-A-Rig for fluke is gaining popularity. :) I love to catch flounder in Texas whenever I have a chance to fish them.

What's the Kil-A-Rig? It should work for flounder? :)

You can catch some giant sheepheads at Freeport jetties (surfside and quintana) all early to late spring. At quintana, you can just part your car and hop out to fish the jetty, I pull in all sorts of fish from near the parking area, except Kingfish, you gotta go to the end of and fish the beach side for those. I'll meet you up for some sheephead fun if you make the trip around Freeport or Galveston :)

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil - i meant to try to pop for tarpon this year but couldn't find the time. i heard in october/november they can be very thick and can be seen breaking water. next year you should come try with me

8. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Kil

I fish the Galveston jetties and some times the Freeport jetties. Have a 21 ft bay boat and a flounder boat. I am 20 miles from Galveston. Usually gigging flounder. The run is over till March. Always some around weather dependant.

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

If you want to go for snook, the Brownsville Ship Channel is HOT during the winter and I know a spot where it is ON! As far as sheepshead, you can get them in any of the harbors near pilings.