Which is better?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Milton, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Milton

Milton Senior Member

:confused: Hi, I am new to saltwater fishing. I like to know your opinion of stella 18000sw VS Daiwa dogfight. Thanks

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I believe the Stella SW is as good as you can get. The top of the line.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

at this level is it all style points?

perhaps you should read the alan hawk review on the stella

4. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I think the dogfight def. looks better but every one says the spool on the stella has been upgraded so it casts smoother.BUt since im a daiwa fan i say dogfight.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

When I was in Panama, I was fishing with two French fisherman. They were very experienced and only had Saltiga's. Stella's are very expensive and hard to get in France. When I asked them why they didn't bring a "Dogfight", they told me they didn't care for it. They have used them but didn't like the Dogfight version and only fish with Saltiga's.

I bought a dogfight one time and sold it. I'd go with the Stella over the dogfight in a heartbeat. If your hung up on Daiwa, get the expedition. Leave the Dogfight in the showroom.

6. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

The expedition has been a great jigging reel, but didn't work so well the one time I tried it for popping. It doesn't have the retrieve to work the popper correctly.

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Depending on where you generally fish, but if your fishing grounds have a higher occurrence of BIG tuna, then go Stella 18kSW. If not, then Stella 10kSW is more than enough IMO. The 10kSW is more comfortable to use all day popping due to it's smaller size and lighter weight IMO.

8. Milton

Milton Senior Member

Thanks for all your replies. And Alan Hawk's review have persuaded me to go for Stella ONLY in the future.

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

at this point it really doesnt matter. casting distance is all on the angler. no amount of advancements will take the place of proper technique. both are top notch reels.

10. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Milton,

I asked the same question on this forum about a month ago. Based on everyones feedback and reading reviews on both reels I opted for the Stella 18000. I would really have loved to fish them side by side before deciding, but that was just not realistic.

11. Milton

Milton Senior Member

Milton,

I would really have loved to fish them side by side before deciding, but that was just not realistic.
    I think it is a good idea. I have the dogfight, and I love to have a 18000sw just to find out which one feels better for me.

12. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Milton, Stella is the way to go but keep your eyes open for Daiwa...they cannot let Shimano do this to them...they will come out with something soon...or that's what I believe atleast.