Which Graphite Inshore\Light Boat Rod?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Cubano, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I'm looking to buy a fairly strong graphite inshore spinning rod that I can also take on a boat for yellowtail\albacore\smaller tuna fishing. I have narrowed it down to the following and was wondering what your opinions would be on the following:

G-Loomis Pro Blue PBR844S 15-30 LB 7'
    St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore TIS80HF 17-40 LB 8'
    Lamiglas Tri-FLEX Graphite Inshore TFX 7040 S 20-40 LB 7'
    Calstar Grafighter GFGR-700L-S 15-30 LB 7'

Thanks

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the GF are nice
    either the L or ML would be a good choice

i like the tri flex also..but i would go with the GF

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I would think (without having owned one--but having one on order) that the OTI 7 1/2 foot 50 pound might fill the bill well also.

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I would think (without having owned one--but having one on order) that the OTI 7 1/2 foot 50 pound might fill the bill well also.
    that wasnt on the list
    BUT
    it is a great choice

5. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

a GUSA mega mag might also fit the bill very nicely. They make them in a few lengths. I have an 80 monster mag 8' that will cast 2-6 ounces well and I use it for stripers, blues and blackfish. It is rated 30-60 but i find it to be a 40# rod.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Add the OTI or the 700.

7. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I'm building a Gusa Mega & it would make a great rod for what your looking for..Lets not forget a SW76MH..I custom cut one a few weeks ago & its one sweet rod..
    the calstar is a composite & if you looking for a composite Calstar & GUSA make great rods ..A GF700XLH,GF or GFX700L for calstars..Gusa the PURC70MH & H the mega-c & the e-gusa mega would work out just fine..

I have the Lamiglas & once you pick up a GUSA or Calstar you wont want it..Loomis NOOOOOOOOOOOOO but that just me I dont like them..St Croix nice rod but Gusa is better..

The American made graphite rod are better than the offshore one's..I have had problems with them & I no longer build on them.......

8. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I have Lamiglas send me both the Tri-Flex Graphite Inshore TFX 7040 S (I guess this is a new 2008 spinning rod rated at 20 to 40 lb) and the Graphite Inshore Classic IC 76 HS (again this is a new for 2008 spinning rod rated at 15 to 30 LB) to check out. I guess the Classic is all graphite and thus quite a bit lighter but the Tri-flex has more backbone. I will pair them with my Cabo 80 PTs and see how they feel (I will probably go for the Tri-flex). I looked at the Calstar Graphiter, and thought it was too heavy and bulky (same with the Super Seeker which was even worse). I'm trying to keep my outfit as light as possible. What do you guys think of the new Phenix Black Diamond rods? The stats on them sound great (I guess the blanks are made in Japan by Toray) although they are fairly pricey (priced between the Calstar Graphiter and Super Seeker rods). I found a local shop that carries them, so I will check them out. They are all graphite, and they make a seven footer that is rated at 40 to 60 lb.

9. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

I have an 800L with is the same as the Calstar 700L but just 8ft instead of 7. I like this rod alot and it's usually either the 800L or 800M are my go to rods.