Which do you find casts better JB hollow 80 or 100?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by NickyRod, Feb 22, 2020.

1. NickyRod

NickyRod Active Member

Re-spooling my Expedition 8000H, using it for popping/stickbait tuna fishing. Do you guys have a preference of the 80 vs the 100 for Jerry Brown hollow in regards to casting distance and wind knots etc? Cheers

2. Echo Papa

Echo Papa Well-Known Member

The 100 is actually thinner, but neither cast extremely well. A solid braid like Varivas will cast much better.

Gonefishings likes this.

3. NickyRod

NickyRod Active Member

I don't doubt that there are better casting lines out there, but after digging I'm a bit hesitant to use Varivas after coming across threads like the one linked below (particularly post #98 in there), albeit that is 10 year old info and a lot can change since then. Was more so asking if there were any specific pros/cons w/ the JB hollow 80 vs 100 when it came to this application. I'm pretty narrowed down to those 2 JB options, but am all ears..... I was eyeing the Varivas Avani GT SMP pretty hard, is that the exact type they were using/having issues w/ back in that thread, or is this some newer stuff? Never saw "SMP" mentioned in there, so thinking this might be a newer flavor??

Also if I do go w/ the Varivas do you guys recommend the PE6 or the PE8 for the 8000H? Will be popping for YFT/BFT w/ potential for 350# examples (but typically 75-150# models). Thanks again.

https://www.360tuna.com/threads/i-give-up-varivas-avani-ygk-ultra-jigman.7965/page-5

4. Echo Papa

Echo Papa Well-Known Member

So with the JB, many people use it, it’s good line. The reason I don’t for casting or jigging is because it lays flat, so doesn’t cast exceptionally well. For trolling, it’s my go to line. You want the 100lb JB if you are going to use it for casting because it’s less diameter than the 80.

The pro is you can do loop to loop connections and have a wind on with no knot. Con is you’ll rarely ever want to do that if you are on a boat with a hot bite and you need tools to splice the line, be it a reverse latch needle or a piece of single strand wire. I can tie an FG far faster if I need to change leader or break off.

I have used Varivas casting and SMP but prefer the casting (white braid) For jigging I love Varivas 10x10.

Funny thing about braid is there are very few factories in the world that make it. Honeywell makes most if not all in the US and there are 2 places that make it in Japan, I recall. So I wouldn’t overthink the choice, it generally comes from the same place with slight modifications between brands.

Gonefishings and NickyRod like this.
  5. NickyRod

NickyRod Active Member

Appreciate your time, If you had to guess % wise what kind of distance do you think I would give up going w/ JB 100 hollow vs Varivas Casting PE6, all other things equal. That should bring some clarity. If we are talking less than 5% then I'll just stick w/ the JB.

Is this the line from Varivas you are referring to?
    https://www.morningtidefishing.com/products/varivas-avani-casting-pe

In regards to their being only a few different manufacturers of braid, I have heard the same, but its hard to deny the differences w/ data like Paulu's out there. I've fished long enough that I've had first hand experience w/ shitty braid (some of which carried big brand names and fancy packaging), so just trying to avoid a mistake. Unfortunately, Mr tuna is usually pretty good at exploiting them hahaha.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  6. ballywho

ballywho Well-Known Member

why do you want the hollow ? not appropriate for catsing or jigging... Unless you splice or have a 1000 yards on a spool that you don't want to have to respool entrely if you lose 150 yards, I don't see the point of using hollow... Solid will cast better...

Ethan Schaffer and Gonefishings like this.
  7. ballywho

you are comparing pe8 and pe10 JB to pe6 and pe8 Varivas.... Of course the pe6 will cast better, it is thinner diameter than the 80lbs JB.... But it is not as strong.... Don't mix pe rating (JDM rating/nomenclature system - in which case we forget about the lbs indication, they are not calculated the same) and lbs ratings (US and used to be rest of the world rating)...

Ethan Schaffer and Gonefishings like this.
  8. ballywho

my advice: go with JB solid 80 lbs. You will cast good and you will never break the line just by pulling too much on the rod. And solid JB is one if not the most reliable braid out there. Still to witness a defective piece or unexplained failure on the 30 000 + yards I've used over the years for my lodge rental tackle....

9. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

A slight correction here. There are only a few different manufacturers of the base material, Spectra or Dyneema.
    How the base material is actually braided is up to the different manufacturers of the braid itself, and, yes, a lot of braid is made by the same people in the US, but there are more than a few world wide.

Gonefishings likes this.
  10. Gonefishings

Gonefishings Member

Distance cast play a big role in catching yft. Ing addition to a great rod. IMHO.

11. get’n jiggy

get’n jiggy Well-Known Member

I’ve never had a problem casting JB or Toro Tamer up to 100lb. However, I’m normally the only one casting conventional reels vs everyone else casting spin reels.

Spin reels are like the “Velcro shoes’’ of the trade. it takes zero skill to cast them. Only experienced anglers with the educated thumbs can cast conventional reels :p

NickyRod likes this.
  12. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

This thread is funny. Ask Basil or look at any of the Saltywater Tackle vids about bluefin fishing and 100 lb JB white is the way to go. True, solid is better for casting, but you have to consider what you are fishing for. If you’ve ever seen Sami cast a rod with 100 LB hollow you wouldn’t question any distances of casting hollow. ;)

Gonefishings and NickyRod like this.
  13. NickyRod

NickyRod Active Member

No doubt on the varivas casting better, but I was wondering what "better" really equates to from someone who has used these lines first hand? Are we talking 5 yards? 15 yards?

I'll probably just heed your advice and go w/ jb solid 80. I've used JB plenty on my overhead gear, and like you, have never been disappointed. The 2 reasons the JB hollow were appealing is that Ive read multiple different threads on here of people suggesting it for popping and the ability to splice and keep 100% knot strength. I have came across a few threads where people were complaining about wind knots w/ the JB hollow though, but hard to isolate that to just the braid. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  14. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

How far you need to cast determines the hookup potential................its not max cast distance , its what you need to get the hookup............after hookup other parameters come into play................no hookup, no play.
    ( sometimes its how far you need to cast to get past structure , sometimes its how close the boat can get without spooking the fish ............you have to put together the fishing package that gets you there)
    Compromises have to be made to get the hookup & the play afterwards.
    Casting proficiency enables some of us to make less compromises on line size to get the distance we need to get the hookup..............that does not translate to mean those choices & compromises apply to everyone. Each of us has to make our own compromises to meet our overall needs.

As above first get a hookup !!!!!!!

FWIW

NickyRod, explorer and jshorty like this.
  15. Ethan Schaffer

Ethan Schaffer Active Member

JB solid 80. Tie an FG knot. Ive got it down pretty quick now and have not had any failures yet. Caught a 235lb bluefin on the 80 solid to an FG flylined sardine.

I use it for popping in Panama and it works great.

Lorenz89 and NickyRod like this.
  16. NickyRod

NickyRod Active Member

Ended up going w/ what i know and stuck w/ the JB solid 80, I tie a decent FG... Thanks for the insight guys.

Cubeye likes this.